PDA

View Full Version : C20XE alternator hitting inner wing problem

comptoncj
17-05-11, 08:24 PM
Ive got my gsi going now with a 20xe in, The problem ive got is when i turn left the alternator just touches the inner wing, I am using the shortest possible belt i can use, and I have got a fair bit of clearance when the car is stationary :confused: What I was thinking about doing was loosening the drivers engine mount and levering it accross to see if it gives me any more space. Has anyone else had to do this?

nova_stee
17-05-11, 08:27 PM
Just take the rubber engine mounts off fill them with tiger seal let them go hard and refit this will solve it

Nobby
17-05-11, 10:49 PM
are you sure your alt clearance is enough? Only way ive done it before is if you look at the front gearbox mount you can move it just slacken the bolt off and get a mate to leaver it over and tighten it back up :D

16v Nova Kev
17-05-11, 11:02 PM
try the grarbox mount see if you get it forward a bit. i have also tigersealed my mounts and does seem to help.

comptoncj
17-05-11, 11:19 PM
I will try both suggestions tomorrow and see how i get on, the alt clearance looks to be sufficient. Before i went out this eveining i drove it round the farm yard at a fair rate gave it a bit of stick with lots of lock on and it didnt seem too bad it just needs a fraction more to have a bit of a comfort zone lol

mowgli
18-05-11, 05:17 PM
look at mazz's thread about fitting the kubota alternator. it is tiny compared to the std one.

comptoncj
18-05-11, 07:32 PM
look at mazz's thread about fitting the kubota alternator. it is tiny compared to the std one.

I have made it not hit the inner wing by using a smaller belt a 10x913, but yes I am definatly going to look into that idea on the front of the block.

novaa
18-05-11, 07:41 PM
Are you sure its not the bottom pulley hitting chassis leg.

comptoncj
18-05-11, 11:18 PM
Its not the bottom pulley, its got a TX alloy one on it, I went out in it for its first proper run this evening covered about 10 miles and touch wood it hasnt been a problem.

16v Nova Kev
19-05-11, 07:56 AM
that's good

Nobby
19-05-11, 08:28 AM
win win then +rep