PDA

View Full Version : Big Brakes

kenny_lad
23-06-03, 11:17 PM
ive got these brakes off a mate who got them from peter maiden components or summit like that n some big callipers,the cars only a 1.2i so the brakes were nothin over to start wid now it stops real quick, i bled the brakes for ages n the pedal still feels spongey,the pedal needs pressed quite far no,no more than it used to but i was wondering if there is any way of sorting this like a bigger model brake servo or something?? :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
23-06-03, 11:39 PM
Yes fitting a GTE/GSi brake servo will give you extra gains, how much i am unsure, but it will make a difference and for the sake of ?20 its worth just trying it to see.

Aragorn
24-06-03, 09:58 AM
if anything the bigger servo will make it seem even softer since the servo will be doing more work

i found this when i fitted the servo to mine - the pedal seems real soft but it slows down a lot faster

another point to note - if your rears are fucked or even badly adjusted - there will be a LOT of pedal movement before things start slowing down since the pressure is applied evenly and the rears wont properly pressurise until the slack is taken up

Dicko
24-06-03, 10:47 AM
the spongy feel has nothing to do wit hthe fact the sevo is biger, its parts wearing out, seals etc

kenny_lad
24-06-03, 01:30 PM
well the brakes are practically new and the rears are new to, found some new ones on a car in scrappy so had them for a fiver each the whole hub setup.sure the backs work fine coz when i fitted the new stuff went round a corner bit fast n inside rear wheel lifted n it locked up, maybe its just the age of the car i dunno just thought they cud be a bit more sensative.
dan

rgv_stu
24-06-03, 01:39 PM
a bigger master cylinder will reduce the travel as would some steel lines

a servo just makes it easier on the foot, so less effort is required. imo a waste of time as it wont make it stop quicker

Dicko
24-06-03, 01:40 PM
yes but makes the brakes feel more powerful!!

if i had the choise betwen the 2 i know which id choose..

mikeoxford
24-06-03, 03:16 PM
yes but makes the brakes feel more powerful!!

if i had the choise betwen the 2 i know which id choose..

2ltr servo?

rgv_stu
24-06-03, 04:22 PM
the standard servo is more than plenty good enuf or are you all girls ?? :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
24-06-03, 05:22 PM
the standard servo is more than plenty good enuf or are you all girls ?? :lol:

Your obviously drive like a girl if you dont need the brakes to work as efficently as possible.

Brakes are the most important thing on a car safety wise, dont ever skimp on them.

dathers
24-06-03, 05:36 PM
Vaux master cylinders are shite and the seals can be damaged REALLY easily when you push the pistons back in when changing pads.
The master cylinder seals do wear aswell,and seeing as the newest novas are ten years old it is quite likely that they are past there best,they might not be fecked but they wont be like new,you can get seal repair kits for them that include the two little internal pistons and all the seals for the master cylinder.
ALL nova master cylinders are 20.6mm bore,Ive fitted a 2ltr non abs cavalier master cylinder which is 22.6mm bore,this made a MAJOR difference!!
The standard GTE servo is quite allright,even the 1.2 servo is ok,you get more feel with a smaller servo allthough you have to press it harder,
A bigger servo DOES NOT increse brake power,it just makes the pedal easier to press.
The bigger 22.6mm bore master cylinder DOES INCREASE brake power and reduce pedal travel,especially if you have 16v calipers on.
I have astra 16v 256mm x 24mm discs and calipers on the front,with standard rear drums,using the standard GTE servo with a cavalier 22.6mm master cylinder,and it stops on a pin,with a nice firm pedal with a nice short pedal travel and plenty of feel,which is bloody handy in the wet as it locks up well easy!
Dave