PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system layout quicky

peester
16-05-11, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know if its safe, worthwhile to connect pre filter, pump and pressure filter directly into each other like in the crap diagram below, (using adaptors or whatever) or is it best to have some fuel hose in between? Thus separating them a bit..?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/fuelsetup.jpg

Im aware the pump needs to be mounted lower down than the tank, thats easy as its this little lot could live in the existing nova external pump tray/carrier area; which is indeed, lower than the tank outlet. So its just whether a 'train' of filters and pump carry disadvantages..? Anyone have it setup like so?
Obviously, this is a non-swirl pot/tank arrangement.

bazil
16-05-11, 09:19 PM
usually its Tank-/pump-/dyaphram damper-/filter-/fuel rail-/injectors- /fpr-/ return to tank
thats the route on all gte gsi setups

edit, the fuel pick up has a gauze to protect it on the end of the pipe in the tank

peester
16-05-11, 09:37 PM
Yeah im binning all the o.e gm pump/filter/damper. And fuel pipes for that matter.
I run mbe/jenvey system, and the existing 20 year old fuelling setup is pegging me back.
The pump and filters im talking about in the new setup; in the pic are sytec/fse/walbro hi flow jobbies.
Will run new braided fuel pipe, with areo-quip/goodridge jic connectors and so on.
Its just whether i can have them directly after each other thats all..

peester
16-05-11, 09:38 PM
**EDIT: double post.

bazil
16-05-11, 09:40 PM
tbh, run a swirl pot then

peester
16-05-11, 09:42 PM
Aint there one in the GTE/GSI mpi tanks already, up to the job enough. Supplys many over 150bhp XE's quite ok..?

bazil
16-05-11, 09:52 PM
well if you run a gte/gsi tank with pick up you can remove the pre pump filter as its in the tank already

( kinda missread the first post )

bazil
16-05-11, 09:53 PM
looking at the bullit filter, just use a metal gte/gsi one as they are designed to be under pressure anyway

peester
16-05-11, 10:09 PM
crickey, didnt know there was an in-tank filter as well as external one.. how dirty could that have got itself?!
Im thinking with my illustration; the one after another layout might need the same number of adapters as if i ran some fuel hose in between..

bazil
16-05-11, 10:14 PM
basically all you need to do is run the standard gsi spec with an upgraded pump

peester
16-05-11, 10:23 PM
kinda what i was beginning to think.. only if going for aftermarket tank/fuel cell would i need that illustrated example..

bazil
16-05-11, 10:25 PM
yup and if you went cell you'd go external swirl pot, gsi spec rubber hose will do to btw

peester
16-05-11, 10:31 PM
Yeah, course. Righto may as well give that a bash then.

Stuart
17-05-11, 11:56 AM
the gauze in the tank will be properly nasty after 20+ years lol

bazil
17-05-11, 11:57 AM
My 3 are fine lol it's plastic anyway with synthetic gauze so atleast it won't rust lol

edit, you've got a point Stuart, I never risked trying to clean one incase the screwheads got chewed up or snapped off while trying to remove the sender lol

peester
30-05-11, 11:55 AM
bumping this as im still deciding the layout the from tank setup - what are the chances of getting aeroquip braided hose (-8/10mm) to push onto the fuel tank outlet pipe and clamp it with a jubilee; and it not leak? lol

mowgli
30-05-11, 12:09 PM
considering that the fuel pressure is maybe 4 bar... lorry airbrake setups work at way higher than that without leakage and they use jubilee clips on rubber hose....,

remember the hose from tank to pump is a suction hose, not a pressure hose, they are different.. some hoses will get their inner layer sucked inwards causing a blockage.

peester
30-05-11, 12:22 PM
yeah; i was more getting at the fact the braided aeroquip hose is much more difficult to 'crush' than a normal rubber hose..

mowgli
30-05-11, 12:27 PM
its not much different. apart from having a snazzy woven outer layer that looks funky, it is basically normal hose underneath that conforms to exactly the same quality standards. and you can easily clamp up hydraulic hose with a jubilee clip & get a lot higher pressure than 4 bar thru it.

Dayle_
30-05-11, 12:29 PM
bumping this as im still deciding the layout the from tank setup - what are the chances of getting aeroquip braided hose (-8/10mm) to push onto the fuel tank outlet pipe and clamp it with a jubilee; and it not leak? lol

It wouldn't work mate. Like you said it isn't rubber its a solid (plastic) you would need to use the re-usable fittings if you went this route which you couldn't on the tank.

mowgli
30-05-11, 12:32 PM
as i'm trying to get at, the suction hose is different stuff to the pressure hose. and proper suction hose is needed.

Dayle_
30-05-11, 12:36 PM
Are you planning on running these lines inside the car?

peester
30-05-11, 12:37 PM
oh right , my bad - apologies..
ok, ill keep the current rubber one. Thats that one ticked lol.
It currently goes to the pump; directly.. the new layout needs adapting or summat inbetween.. a filter?

peester
30-05-11, 12:38 PM
dayle - no, externally.

*EDIT: didnt see other replies; dayle is not plastic pipes - it is braided woven over rubber..

Dayle_
30-05-11, 12:41 PM
If you are planning on running these hoses through the car avoid the likes of the rubber Goodridge/Aeroquip type 200 braided hose as you WILL get petrol smell from the hose.

Ideally you need the Teflon lined hose as it doesn't give off any vapour but you will need to use proper Re-usable fittings with that type of hose and it also doesn't fair to kinking very well. Using the Teflon one through will not allow you to just use jubilee clips.

Dayle_
30-05-11, 12:43 PM
dayle - no, externally.

*EDIT: didnt see other replies; dayle is not plastic pipes - it is braided woven over rubber..

Sorry just seen this!lol If its rubber overbraid then yes that should be fine with jubilee clip. if it comes to it just trim 10mm of the overbraid and get them fancy hose finishers. That's what I have done.

RSM Motorsport in Morecambe doe the hose and fittings cheaper than anywhere else I can find.

peester
30-05-11, 12:43 PM
Ive been under the impression (short of getting precise wall thicknesses/measurements etc, of the braided hose) its pretty vital to match the brands of hose with fixings.. so ive got the aeroquip 200 hose, with aeroquip fittings.
But it isnt going into the car - its got to stay external..

mowgli
30-05-11, 12:44 PM
it is feasible to joint 'olive' type unions onto pump & filter outlets, then adapt to the pipe.

peester
30-05-11, 12:48 PM
oh, never heard of RSM .. oh well. 'Think' 's prices are pretty good too.

peester
30-05-11, 12:51 PM
tbh my easiest option is probably to take the 'in' -8JIC connector off the pump and replace it with a 10mm push on connector; then just push the rubber 10mm 'suction' hose i currently have, with a good jubilee.

mowgli
30-05-11, 12:54 PM
you will be able to get a hosetail connector for it.

Dayle_
30-05-11, 12:57 PM
tbh my easiest option is probably to take the 'in' -8JIC connector off the pump and replace it with a 10mm push on connector; then just push the rubber 10mm 'suction' hose i currently have, with a good jubilee.

That sounds doable as I think they are interchangeable, you can remove the ends and change them for push on barbs or the threaded type connectors.]]

RSM also do the likes of the Sytec Bullet filter cheaper than anyone else I know. I've been using them for years and the woman there is extremely clued up.

peester
30-05-11, 01:06 PM
i assume you both speak of the same item? this hosetail connector..
I have a mini filter, that i think should be fine under pressure - no point in putting a filter before pump and after..
Any links to this RSM?

Dayle_
30-05-11, 02:33 PM
http://www.rsmmotorsport.co.uk/Products/238/Fuel-System/Category.aspx

There you go mate.

peester
30-05-11, 07:56 PM
ok, one more question:
any chance a rubber 10mm hose will push on and clamp onto one of these:
http://www.aeroquip.cc/fcm1513-fbm1513.aspx
btw- the push on part is 1/2".. so should translate..?
Obviously the other end will suit the -8 male jic the pump has..

Dayle_
30-05-11, 08:13 PM
yes that will fit :-)

peester
30-05-11, 08:16 PM
woo you reckon? cool. Ill have to get me one of those then. Job done, hopefully.

peester
10-06-11, 12:55 PM
just to bump this thread again.. im kinda undecided whether to stick one of these between the tank and pump as it both swirls and filters..?
http://www.rsmmotorsport.co.uk/products/727/0/Fuel-Swirl-Pot-/detail.aspx
I know there is a 'swirl pot' and 'filter' in the MPI o.e nova tank but can only be a good thing to have more swirling/more filtration..?
Otherwise i dont have a reliable filter before the pump; just the old manky tea bag thats in the tank.
Not planning on removing/getting into there neither.