PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* Use an Easibleed to bleed the brakes

Stuart
15-05-11, 02:21 PM
Stolen this form my guide that I wront on the VX220 forum, so ignore the clutch bit lol

Thought I'd knock up a quick guide for this.

Found some youtubage too, ok its foreign but pics paint a fahhhsand words
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw9yzCcF-Ww

Tools needed:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_20 4645_langId_-1_categoryId_165469
They have instructions, but they are like this and frankly shoite
http://www.gunson.co.uk/items/pdf/Products/G4062_Instructions.pdf

Small spanner (I just use a small AFS as I can never remember the size of the bleed nipples)
Tubing to fit the bleed nipples
Brake fluid capture device (I use a 'one man bleed' pot as its got the right tube and big pot :lol:)

Items Needed
Brake fluid of choice
Time
Spare wheel with the tyre pressure NO MORE than 15psi... I use 10psi. If you use it at over 20Psi you will screw the easybleed up.

Bonus item
Syringe, and accept its the first/last time you will use it! Brake fluid ruins them :)

Procedure.
Starting at the pax rear, then I goto the Drivers rear and then pax front and finally drivers front. Might be 'wrong' but I'd never had issues with my route.
Wheel off
Dust cover off the bleed nipple (lol)
loosen the nipple (lol)
pop the tubing on the nipple (lol ok I'll stop now)

Use the syringe to pull as much of the old fluid from the reservoir as possible, top up with new fluid.
Fit the right sized easybleed cap with fittings onto the brake fluid reservoir
Fill the easybleed container approx 3/4 full with shiney new fluid. Tighten bottle onto the cap (not the other way round!)
put the easybleed valve onto the tyre.

Go back to the corner you are bleeding.
Open up the nipple and await the fluid to flow out.
If changing old mining fluid then its pretty obvious when thats gone as it will go from black to clear/blue/red/WTF colour your new fluid is.
If bleeding after changing lines/caliper off etc, await NON bubbly fluid to come out.
If changing recent/clear fluid, then you will have to use your own judgement on when its through.
Periodically shut the nipple and open it again.
ALSO CHECK THE EASYBLEED CONTAINER FOR THE LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!! you dont want to be bleeding air into the system :lol: :blush: First time I used one I managed to sodastream the fluid.

Go round the car doing the bleed. I like to do 2 laps if you have enough fluid to do so.
Top Tip, if you are going from minging old fluid to new super spangly expensive stuff, I suggest using a compatible cheap n cheerful fluid to do the initial flush and then run the nice stuff through.

Its wise to bleed the clutch after the brakes.
Into the engine bay, ontop of the gearbox is a nipple.... same procedure as brakes, done.

ensure all nipples are tight.
remove tyre valve
remove reservoir cap, syringe out the excess to get the level right.
Refit everything else.

Test the brake pedal

Hope that helps :)
I'm sure some kind person will add pics too lol

swedge
02-06-11, 12:24 PM
i have just bought one of these as ive got ATE's to fit never bled brakes before this sounds easy enough though lol

swedge
15-06-11, 02:12 PM
well i just used this and the pedal still goes to the floor?

i bleed them untill no air bubbles came out

ill give it another bash tomorrow

redstig
15-06-11, 04:49 PM
i got one of these and it keeps popping off the nipple, how do i keep it on?

Rich
15-06-11, 05:36 PM
what nipple? it screws onto the brake fluid resevoir, the other part connects to the valve on the tyre (no more than 20psi!)

Swedge have you go the calipers the right way around? have you bled all 4 corners starting with furthest from the mastercylinder?

swedge
15-06-11, 06:26 PM
yeah the bleed nipples at the top, i havent dont the back as ive only changed the fronts

do i need to do that back?

Rich
15-06-11, 06:45 PM
if you lost too much fluid you would have got air in the system so yes. It may take a couple of attempts to bleed up properly.

swedge
15-06-11, 07:34 PM
the resevoir bottle wasnt completely empty when i used the easy bleed the only air in the system would have been when i disconnected the brake pipes from the callipers

Stuart
15-06-11, 08:41 PM
yes the rears will need doing too... NEVER bleed half a car.

swedge
15-06-11, 10:05 PM
would that be causing the pedal to go to the floor? the brakes do stop the car but not actualy driven it to see how good lol

db_1.2
16-06-11, 07:50 AM
I use 30 psi.....

Stuart
16-06-11, 08:04 AM
I use 30 psi.....

the once? lol

I used 25psi once and it trashed the kit... plus I've found the lower the pressure the better the bleed.

swedge
16-06-11, 12:55 PM
well all sorted now, where the brake pipe connects to the caliper on the passenger side i put the washer on the wrong side haha

was leaking and sucking in air when depressing the pedal

db_1.2
20-06-11, 08:08 AM
the once? lol

I used 25psi once and it trashed the kit... plus I've found the lower the pressure the better the bleed.

Twice Lol, but I'll take note of the 15 psi lol