PDA

View Full Version : xe head bolt question...

comptoncj
14-05-11, 04:33 PM
I think ive just made a serious boo boo...

When ordering my rebuild parts i ordered early type xe head bolts as i had an early type xe, then i noticed that the cams in the head i had were DIS, didnt think anything of it, torqued the head down as per vauxhall spec, bolts felt really hard to turn through the last stage. The engine is fitted and i ran it up for an hour or so, took it up the road, loads of smoke and grey oil :cry:

What i think has happened is i have used early long bolts to torque down a late DIS head and all i can think of is they have bottomed out and havnt pulled the head down? can anyone confirm this?

Im not very happy as you would expect just hoping i havnt warped the head its never got hot just on the first outing it was pumping steam out of the exhaust and misfiring :(

swedge
14-05-11, 04:50 PM
tried a compression test?

comptoncj
14-05-11, 06:30 PM
I can confirm this is the problem lol, ive just took the head off, its blown a hole in the gasket on number 4 head bolts have bottomed out :( grrrr i just hope it hasnt hurt the bottom end with the grey oil

bmw156
14-05-11, 06:43 PM
when i put my XE back together, i used slightly different length bolts to the ones that came out. were also the opposite heat style, one was male and one female.

it all bolted up fine no problems.
i guess the early and late heads are different.

comptoncj
14-05-11, 06:46 PM
from what i can gather they must be as on the bolts ive took out you can see where they have squashed the thread on the very end of the bolts :(