PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bleeding Kits

novarally
14-05-11, 09:14 AM
All thoughts welcome from anyone who's used different kits............

I'm looking to buy a one-man kit for bleeding brakes, and am swaying toward the hand-pump vacuum type, as produced by Sealey, Mityvac, Draper etc.

I've never used one, but wondered if anyone has any experience of these?

I don't want the type of kit which uses an air compressor, as I want to be able to use it whilst I'm at a sprint or hillclimb event if necessary, so I won't have a compressor handy (unless of course it can be connected up to a 12v compressor?). And I've used the Eezibleed type that you connect to a tyre, which was frankly useless.

What do we know people?

Or any other suggestions, bearing in mind that I rarely have an assistant available, so 'get your mate to pump the pedal' is not useful.

pikey1986
14-05-11, 09:36 AM
ive got a gun-son easy bleed kit and its quite frankly amazing, id recommend them to anyone colin

edit

you use a spare tyre to supply the pressure at about 20psi :thumb:

Lewis.
14-05-11, 09:39 AM
we have a MAC tools bleeder at work and its fantastic. it has a cam you screw on the reservoir, with a quick release fitting, and the machine has a reservoir, and a high pressure pump, you connect it to the cap, turn it on and it pressurises the system. then when you open a bleed nipple it turns on.
its powered from any 12 v battery so ideal for you

can't seem to find it on their website anymore, so it may be last years model. I can ask my MAC rep on wednesday if you like? I think conningsby is on his route so he may be able to pop round and see you?

Edd
14-05-11, 10:07 AM
I've always used one that connects to a tyre

Never had any problems with them, no air locks etc

Royston
14-05-11, 10:16 AM
Gunsons eeybleed for me, never had a problem, cheap and doesn't need a compressor.

You just have to make sure it is assembled correctly i.e. correct top and seal

Pressure in tyre should be @ 20psi

novarally
14-05-11, 10:30 AM
we have a MAC tools bleeder at work and its fantastic. it has a cam you screw on the reservoir, with a quick release fitting, and the machine has a reservoir, and a high pressure pump, you connect it to the cap, turn it on and it pressurises the system. then when you open a bleed nipple it turns on.

can't seem to find it on their website anymore, so it may be last years model. I can ask my MAC rep on wednesday if you like? I think conningsby is on his route so he may be able to pop round and see you?

Sounds very interesting indeed, thanks. If you could ask him about it that would be much appreciated.

novarally
14-05-11, 10:30 AM

Sounds very interesting indeed, thanks. If you could ask him about it that would be much appreciated.

16v Nova Kev
14-05-11, 10:53 AM
as said above the gunson one is really good.

Andy
14-05-11, 10:54 AM
Seriously ive never used anything quicker and easier than those one-way valve type jobbies from halfords.
At £8 it truly is a bargain,ive bled up stuff in seconds with that little pipe.
Did a full fluid change on my nova with it in about 10mins

bmw156
14-05-11, 10:56 AM
i used an "easy bleed" or how ever its spelt lol.

one man jobbie, as above, you use a tyre for pressure. works well.

Lewis.
14-05-11, 11:14 AM

I will ask him, and let you know Colin :thumb:

MK999
14-05-11, 11:23 AM
Seriously ive never used anything quicker and easier than those one-way valve type jobbies from halfords.
At £8 it truly is a bargain,ive bled up stuff in seconds with that little pipe.
Did a full fluid change on my nova with it in about 10mins

Dont think I've seen those before but sounds decent, guess you chuck it on open up the bleed nipple and jump in yourself to pump the brake?

Andy
14-05-11, 11:24 AM
Dont think I've seen those before but sounds decent, guess you chuck it on open up the bleed nipple and jump in yourself to pump the brake?
Yep,just pump then look in the pipe til the bubbles have gone.So simple

Stuart
15-05-11, 02:17 PM
I use the easibleed a lot as its great, but found it works best with the pressure down at 10psi rather than the max of 20psi. I also use the one man low tech kit at the caliper end too as it was dirt cheap and has the right pipe for the nipples etc.

Adam
15-05-11, 04:47 PM
What he said /\
Its only a plastic bottle and thin walled tubing, I use less than 15psi in mine and it works fine.

One tip id give is fit the eezi bleed to the mc reservoir, pressurise it with NO fluid in the e/b bottle, feel/check for air leaks around the cap on the mc reservoir. If all is good then disconnect from your tyre and fill the bottle with fluid.

If you dont get a 100% good seal on the reservoir and you pressure the eezibleed up whilst its filled you will get brake fluid shooting at you at 15+ psi.... lol

phazer
15-05-11, 04:52 PM
To be fair that tip ^ is in the Eazibleed instructions lol

I've got one and can't fault it to be honest. When I got mine Screwfix was cheapest.

Adam
15-05-11, 05:09 PM
Oh right, assuming youve got the instructions of course, i lent mine so didnt have them... :)

mowgli
15-05-11, 05:29 PM
i just use the pipe with a slit in it & a jam jar with some cooking oil in it. (i'm not wasting brake fluid)

AlexW
15-05-11, 05:29 PM
I have a mityvac, Never had any issues with it, Handy for hand pumping fuel too

novarally
19-05-11, 07:15 AM
I will ask him, and let you know Colin :thumb:

Lewis - any luck with the Mac Tools rep?

Lewis.
20-05-11, 07:56 PM
ah yes, sorry I've not been near a computer. an email is on its way :thumb: