PDA

View Full Version : what phone to choose

Andy_L
12-05-11, 01:36 PM
Consider me a blank slate.

I will not pay for a phone as I am a cheap skate.

My contract max limit a month is £40.

Any suggestions? Blackberry, Iphone 3, Htc, all the others.

ryansnova
12-05-11, 01:39 PM
dont get a htc thay are the hardist phone to work i have ever used lol lol

wwmnw
12-05-11, 01:52 PM
HTC is supposed to be one of the best phones out there at the minute, Iphones are reportedly crap and only bought by people who want to pull it out in a busy pub whilst its ringing as loud as an Ibiza nightclub and slowly lift it to their ear whilst everyone is looking.

LOOK AT ME! I HAVE AN IPHONE!

ryansnova
12-05-11, 01:56 PM
lol lol lol htc phones might be good ones you can use it but its trying to figer out how to use it ?lol

phazer
12-05-11, 01:57 PM
Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android) 'tis rather good.

simonm
12-05-11, 01:58 PM
Have to say I'm prob guilty of the iPhone thing but they are prity cool piece of kit I could do with out it now

Southie
12-05-11, 02:00 PM
LOOK AT ME! I HAVE AN IPHONE!
That's more like it for me tbh, hide it so not to blend in lol

Tanya.
12-05-11, 02:00 PM
Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android) 'tis rather good.

The Samsung Galaxy does look good, i've been looking at getting one :)

88ESR
12-05-11, 02:36 PM
Don't become an Apple Fanboy..

Apple have had their own way too long and are on their way out..

Whatever you choose, it has to be Android all the way!

My contract is due in July and I will be going for another Android..

Probably HTC Desire Z or HD..

Most networks are doing decent Android sets for around the 40 quid mark (free handset)..

Look for the ones offering 1GB data tho...

Connor
12-05-11, 02:39 PM
cant fault my iphone 3g tbf, had it 2 years no problems and its constantly being dropped covered in oil etc. If i upgraded now i would get an iphone4 personally

phazer
12-05-11, 02:39 PM
The Samsung Galaxy does look good, i've been looking at getting one :)

Make sure it's the S2 (the new one) if you do :thumb:

Got mine the other day, first smart phone after loathing big phones. Have to say I'm very impressed so far.

Jack
12-05-11, 03:00 PM
lol lol lol htc phones might be good ones you can use it but its trying to figer out how to use it ?lol
Really? I had no problem using mine, find it really intuitive and didn't even need to read any manuals etc. Tis the first smartphone touchscreen jobber I've had too

Nova_Tek
12-05-11, 03:20 PM
HTC FTW as they say. Easy to use tbh, cool features like speech to text so you can talk to it and it'll translate that into a text message and send it. As powerful as the iPhone and generally cheaper to buy on contract. I'm waiting on the HTC Sensation. 4.3" screen (pretty much biggest screen around on a smartphone), HD Video recording 8MP camera, SRS Surround sound, dual core 1.2GHz processor 768MB - 1GB ram... hardcore power!

iPhones are good but way too common now like BMW's lol

Jim
12-05-11, 03:25 PM
Do not get a Blackberry Storm or go with T-Mobile. I'm on my 5th replacement handset in 14 months. I will be moving to an IPhone when my contract ends.

phazer
12-05-11, 03:48 PM
HTC FTW as they say. Easy to use tbh, cool features like speech to text so you can talk to it and it'll translate that into a text message and send it. As powerful as the iPhone and generally cheaper to buy on contract. I'm waiting on the HTC Sensation. 4.3" screen (pretty much biggest screen around on a smartphone), HD Video recording 8MP camera, SRS Surround sound, dual core 1.2GHz processor 768MB - 1GB ram... hardcore power!

iPhones are good but way too common now like BMW's lol

Pretty much all of the new Gingerbread phones have all of that. You don't need to stick with HTC and a 4.3 screen is common place now also.

FWIW a dual core smooths out android to the point I'm happy to have one. I'm sure gaming and video will find a use for it but haven't really had time to tinker too much.

I'm no phone fanboy BTW I don't have an iPhone as I don't want to buy into the Apple eco system to write software for it, so Android was the logical choice. If you'd have said last year I'd opt for a Samsung I'd have laughed.

88ESR
12-05-11, 03:57 PM
I like the look of the new Motorola dual core jobby too but they reckon the battery only lasts about 5 minutes!

More power/features = less battery...

I'm not sure who is doing it at what price (to keep within the £40 per month request)..

Looks the biz tho..

Tanya.
12-05-11, 05:04 PM
If you go on to 3 they'll help you tailor a package that suits you and your budget and then tell you what phones they have with said package.

I'm after a package with decent internet for the 3am feeds lol

bmw156
12-05-11, 05:12 PM
Get an iphone 4. If you get an htc you will be always charging it. My iPhone lasts 2 days with moderate useage. iPhones are worth more when it comes to selling. Also work out the term costs for the phone. I put up 300 quid at the start and it saved me 200 quid over a year. Plus I'll have a phone worth selling at the end of it.

88ESR
12-05-11, 05:17 PM
Get an iphone 4. If you get an htc you will be always charging it. My iPhone lasts 2 days with moderate useage. iPhones are worth more when it comes to selling. Also work out the term costs for the phone. I put up 300 quid at the start and it saved me 200 quid over a year. Plus I'll have a phone worth selling at the end of it.

Small screen tho :-)

bmw156
12-05-11, 05:19 PM
Has done me fine lol. Only time I think it's abit small is when two people watch a video. But it's not to bad.

Andy
12-05-11, 05:21 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToQzELG7D0rRyWU7Vie28CRUefGOFws ETyIc1x49c9nmXRqxIC6w
you need one of these

MK999
12-05-11, 06:16 PM
Do not get a Blackberry Storm or go with T-Mobile. I'm on my 5th replacement handset in 14 months. I will be moving to an IPhone when my contract ends.

Sucker for punishment? lol

Edd
12-05-11, 06:24 PM
I love the people that slate iPhones lol have anyone who dislikes them so much actually had one ? I doubt it very much

Samsung Galaxy S is a very good phone

I would still chose a iPhone 4 over it tho, however I do think when apple release the iPhone 5 they need to improve it massively or they'll be left behind a bit

MK999
12-05-11, 06:37 PM
I love the people that slate iPhones lol have anyone who dislikes them so much actually had one ? I doubt it very much

Awww, love you too x

And no, I needed something that works lol I did however try a few out, read around the specs etc before deciding they're actually toss, driven by fantastic advertising and groups of zombified apple fanatics marching to the phone shop :p

Wonder how many iPhone owners looked at anything else before they bought one lol

Edd
12-05-11, 06:42 PM
So that's a no then ? :d

Yep looked at other when it was rime to renew last year, didn't like anything with android, like some with symbian, but thank fook I didn't get one as that will be no more soon

Never had any problem with it nit working either

phazer
12-05-11, 07:10 PM

The guys at work with iPhones have them charging everyday - all smart phones are the same. Until there is a new battery technology it won't get much better. The only alternative would be massive batteries which let's face it isn't going to happen when the trend is for slimmer phones.

I agree on the cost/price/re-sale of the iPhone though. I'd have certainly waited for the iPhone 6 if it wasn't for wanting to write software for them.

Bubba
12-05-11, 07:13 PM
yes get an iphone 4...the wish you hadnt when the iphone 5 comes out shortly after

Rich
12-05-11, 08:51 PM
if you want it for speaking to people, dont get an iphone lol

Benn
12-05-11, 10:21 PM
Samsung Galaxy S nice, but no flash on the cameras...

I have just got a HTC desire HD, and its funking awesome.
Everything is fast and smooth, loads of apps and cool stuff. Huge screen (when i first got it i was like "woah its a bit too big" but with in a day it was just right and the size was normal..
First thing i did was get the "big button" app, as they txt buttons on smart phones are tiny if you have big hands/fingers like i do.
HD has a 8mp camera with 720p vids..
Really clean crips speakers (for calls and music)

Way way way better than the gf's Iphone 4 shi*ter.. (which i have used, and is so poo. And is even worse when she rings me)

MK1_Ben
12-05-11, 10:37 PM
I'm going to go against the general consensus and say get an iPhone.

I used to be one of the PC crusading "down with Mac" types, now I still dislike macs but after having bought an iPhone4 as a work phone as everyone recommended it (I'm an IT tech), I can safely say it's the best phone I've ever used (I did have a HTC and they're far too overcomplicated than they should be).

Good looking little phone (nice UI etc aswell), pretty decent battery life for a smart phone if you disable some of the roaming features, really ergonomic and easy to use, yet powerful application wise.

To be perfectly honest, get a phone for what you would need it most for. I bought mine as it's suited to my line of work, not like as said above; to take out my pocket and shout "OH LOOK MY IPHONE4 IS RINGING" every other minute.

dhdev (Oli)
12-05-11, 10:44 PM
Go for an iPhone 4, I got one (it's the only piece of Apple hardware I own and I'm certainly no Apple fanboy) and I think it's ace.

phazer
12-05-11, 10:49 PM
Samsung Galaxy S nice, but no flash on the cameras...

I have just got a HTC desire HD, and its funking awesome.
Everything is fast and smooth, loads of apps and cool stuff. Huge screen (when i first got it i was like "woah its a bit too big" but with in a day it was just right and the size was normal..
First thing i did was get the "big button" app, as they txt buttons on smart phones are tiny if you have big hands/fingers like i do.
HD has a 8mp camera with 720p vids..
Really clean crips speakers (for calls and music)

Way way way better than the gf's Iphone 4 shi*ter.. (which i have used, and is so poo. And is even worse when she rings me)

You need to look at the S2 ;)

Benn
12-05-11, 10:58 PM
Ah does it now have a flash?

Tbh the S2 and the Hd are very simalur to each other...

Novasport
12-05-11, 11:05 PM
I have a Blackberry bold (9700 I think). I have had it 18 months and its never crashed on me, I have never had a days problem, the battery life is amazing(3-5 days depending on usage), its easy to use, the internet is super fast etc etc.
Its up for renewal and I am loathe to replace it which is unusual as I normally get bored pretty quickly with phones.
I have had a number of HTC's but ditched them as the reliability rapidly deteriorated with each model. I hated the last one I had and could not wait to get shot of it.
I can highly recommend Blackberry's from my experience but thats just my opinion.

hendrix
12-05-11, 11:14 PM
wait a few months for an iphone 5.

I can't say anything I still rock my N95 lol

TeddyThom
13-05-11, 01:34 AM
What's that quad core phone?? I know it's an HTC but not sure which one, looks pretty decent... Might go in and ask to play one day...

Angus Closier
13-05-11, 01:57 AM
Iv got a motarola defy....its a good phone lots of good apps etc, battery isnt the best but lasts as long as i need it too! Only downside is it does crash every now and then. Would go for htc next time, had one as a work phone and loved it!

phazer
13-05-11, 09:29 AM
Ah does it now have a flash?

Tbh the S2 and the Hd are very simalur to each other...

Sure does, massivly improved over the original.

I think iPhone 5 aside it's going to be close between the Galaxy S2 and the HTC Sensation dual core due in June this year.

I reckon the iPhone 5 will be stop gap to slow the market share loss to android. Probably have a bigger screen and not much else. IOS 5 is just around the corner anyway. That said whatever happens, iPhone 6 is going to have to be a game changer to stay relevant as the others are catching/beating Apple at their own game.

Jack
13-05-11, 09:55 AM
I used to be one of the PC crusading "down with Mac" types, now I still dislike macs but after having bought an iPhone4 as a work phone as everyone recommended it (I'm an IT tech), I can safely say it's the best phone I've ever used (I did have a HTC and they're far too overcomplicated than they should be).
I don't get where the HTC Sense is complicated thing comes from, I find it simpler to use than my sisters iPhone (dunno what version, they all look the same to me lol). BUT to be fair, I come from a Symbian background, and Sense has similarities to the way Symbian is laid out.

Symbian though, don't get me started. Back in the day it was good but the likes of Apple's OS (iOS is it?), Android and its spin offs, even WinMob to a certain degree, have left Symbian looking archaic. I wish Nokia would have crapped it off in favour of Android :(

Jim
13-05-11, 10:33 AM
Sucker for punishment? lol
It can't be any worse than the Blackberry I've had. I know many people (tech heads) who have the Iphone and rate it very highly.

pikey1986
13-05-11, 11:00 AM
ive got a galaxy s and rate it highly, i didnt think id get on with it being touch screen but i love it :)

NOVA saloon
13-05-11, 11:16 AM
I don't recommend I phone 4 I have 1 and all I have is problem problem. Nokia. 3310 or samsung syber shot are the best phones I have ever had.

gtachorley
13-05-11, 11:43 AM
Get a Galaxy S 2 they can be over clocked to run 1.5Ghz with a dual Core processor on a custom rom.

Then get DroidTV app its ace Family Guy and Cleveland show in great quality streaming FTW!!

88ESR
13-05-11, 07:18 PM
Just watched the promo for the HTC Sensation..

Looks like a mighty piece of kit..

Apple will have to really have to pull something special out of the bag to compete with the new dual core Android sets...

Southie
13-05-11, 07:25 PM
Apple will have to really have to pull something special out of the bag to compete with the new dual core Android sets...
Doubt it tbh as all (including me) are daft enough to just update to the latest product without caring if it works or not lol

88ESR
13-05-11, 07:42 PM
Doubt it tbh as all (including me) are daft enough to just update to the latest product without caring if it works or not lol

Maybe..

But I think the Apple fanbase will eventually thin out..

A couple of lads I know have kids who are Apple through and through: bought all the latest products. but have yet to go for the ipad2..

Time will tell.. :-)

Andy_L
13-05-11, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. It won't be an Iphone 4 just too expensive to buy, I could get a good whore for the night.

Mike
13-05-11, 09:43 PM

Ive had a blackberry storm for about year an half now & never had any issues with it really? Also had a blackberry curve before that an it was awesome.

phazer
13-05-11, 10:00 PM

I hear you but Apple are already losing market share. Android now has the largest % of the smart phone market. As I said earlier, the other manufacturers are starting to beat apple at their own game.

Still it's all good, as the phones and the markets mature we should seem some *really* good stuff in the next couple of years.