PDA

View Full Version : towing with a trailer

Gareth_C
12-05-11, 12:30 AM
Im guessing this has been post before but what weights is it that you go off for towing with a post jan 97 licence.
I have a van that has a kerb weight of 1752kg a gvw of 3200kg and towing limit 2000kg.

Any easy way of looking at this.
Cheers Gareth

Hobbit
12-05-11, 12:46 AM
If the van is empty and say you weigh 100kg, max would be 1648kg (but that would be the max.) Then what ever you add to the van you would have to take off the trailer.

eg a mate, some spares etc weighing 300kg would lower the max towing weight to 1348kg

Paul
12-05-11, 05:25 AM
When did you pass ur test

bazil
12-05-11, 05:50 AM
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

Hobbit
12-05-11, 06:39 AM
When did you pass ur test

Im guessing this has been post before but what weights is it that you go off for towing with a post jan 97 licence.

:)

bazil
12-05-11, 06:59 AM
Just mind the TOTAL COMBINED weight cannot exceed 3500kg,

Jack
12-05-11, 07:42 AM
Sooooooo

If the unladen weight of, say a white diesel saloon cavalier (lol) was 1,145Kg and it was hitched up to a 50Kg trailer with a gay coloured Nova saloon weighing 1,00Kg on it, that would be Ok on a B license - as the trailer MAM is lighter than the unladen car weight, and both together are < 3.5T?

NOVA saloon
12-05-11, 07:48 AM
It's a bloody grey area is what this is! Fill your trailer and cart on. Or get a 7.5 Ton wagon.

Ernie
12-05-11, 08:10 AM
I'm glad to be old with a grand dad license as can tow what I like lol.

Dayle_
12-05-11, 08:34 AM
Proper grey area, and the chance of you getting nicked is extremely rare as no one actually knows the law!

The amount of people I know who tow trailers and cars on the back of cars to rally's etc and I have never heard of one being pulled over.

The only thing they would pull you on is if you looked about 10 years old as they would wan't to see that you have passed your trailer pulling licence. if you passed before Jan 1997 as someone else posted you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

NOVA saloon
12-05-11, 08:42 AM
I have been stopped cos I looked over weight (me was ALOT) he he. Erm wen I had my first passed in 2007 never asked anything about trailer licence. My dad has to have a class 1 too tow are tri axle behind disco 3. Cos of the weight side of it. He can drive anything with wheels or tracks licence wise.

mowgli
12-05-11, 08:43 AM
except for a particularly nasty copper on the m5 near worcester... he knows exactly what the law is.

L14MNP
12-05-11, 09:06 AM
Proper grey area, and the chance of you getting nicked is extremely rare as no one actually knows the law!

The amount of people I know who tow trailers and cars on the back of cars to rally's etc and I have never heard of one being pulled over.

The only thing they would pull you on is if you looked about 10 years old as they would wan't to see that you have passed your trailer pulling licence. if you passed before Jan 1997 as someone else posted you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

This. ^
I have done it loads and it's no issue.

mowgli, are you on about the guy that was on Traffic Cops? He was some trailer buff.

mowgli
12-05-11, 09:35 AM
/\ yup. i also know someone who got done by him, he had a full pre'97 licence, and was driving a pickup with a max tow of 3000kg, and was pulling a 3500max. empty trailer... 3 points & fine..

Keif
12-05-11, 09:50 AM
towing with a trailer

TBH you'd be better trying to tow with a car. lol.

I'm glad to be old with a grand dad license as can tow what I like lol.

Snap, just missing any incling of putting a towbar on any car. lol

Ben
12-05-11, 10:47 AM
except for a particularly nasty copper on the m5 near worcester... he knows exactly what the law is.

I actually got stopped by this copper just north of tewksbury, was in a 3.5t recovery truck with a nova sport on the bed and a corsa rally car on a dolly behind, and i also had a right fat barsteward of a passenger an the guy never moaned or even bothered checking my liscence was whinging about petty stuff.

wwmnw
12-05-11, 11:05 AM
TBH you'd be better trying to tow with a car. lol
lollol
Gareth passed in 03 or 04 iirc so hasn't got the pre 97 privileges.

Mincyballs
13-05-11, 01:46 AM
I think post 97 licsence can only tow a max of 750kg unsupervised. If supervised then someone that has the entitlement can sit next to you and you have to display L plates which also means your not allowed on motorways!

Iirc you cant exceed 3.5t including trailer and payload and towing vehical.

I use a VW crafter (massive van) indispension trailer with the sh*t box on it and i think i only come in under 3.0t its the stuff like tools, spare wheels that makes up the extra weight that you could get caught out on! But bear in mind you could possibly get done for no insurance and driving without the entitlement if you tow unsupervised.

bazil
13-05-11, 03:38 AM
Just read the link I posted earlier, it's the law in black and White!

It's not hard to understand.

Jack
13-05-11, 09:44 AM
Just read the link I posted earlier, it's the law in black and White!

It's not hard to understand.
LOL I was thinking that. Trailers seem to be one of those things where people all turn into shamans and say you need to have a goat tied to the passenger seat with three legs and do a riverdance whilst towing the trailer, as long as its coloured red.

BTW, is my assumption/example earlier in the thread correct? As nobody has commented on it lol

mowgli
13-05-11, 09:52 AM
Sooooooo

If the unladen weight of, say a white diesel saloon cavalier (lol) was 1,145Kg and it was hitched up to a 50Kg trailer with a gay coloured Nova saloon weighing 1,00Kg on it, that would be Ok on a B license - as the trailer MAM is lighter than the unladen car weight, and both together are < 3.5T?

correct if a touch optimistic on the weights..

people just seem to mix up the trailer rules with the towing rules.

Jack
13-05-11, 10:05 AM
correct if a touch optimistic on the weights..
Yeah, it was just to see if I had the theory right :)

The cav weight is right (apparently lol) but feck knows what the Nova is. Might have to take it to the local weighbridge for a laugh lol

mowgli
13-05-11, 11:02 AM
be carefull jack, they'll think you are weighing it in..