PDA

View Full Version : Forged Pistons LET

Plug
11-05-11, 05:50 PM
Right seeing as i now have the cash for these i would like to know what people have used and if there any good,

Im after 87mm low comp forged pistons

Ive looked on ebay and can find cosworth and Wossner

Autosprint sell wossner and QED have there own aswell

Anyone got anywhere else for me to look?

Cheers Joe

matthew172
11-05-11, 05:56 PM
steveboyslim over on mig sells omega 87mm low comp forged pistons, very good pistons too, send him a pm

Plug
11-05-11, 06:29 PM
cool ill give him a message

Will lowering the compression cause it to not run on standard management?

Edd
11-05-11, 06:31 PM
Why do you want it low comp?

Thought standard bottom end was good for phase 2?

Plug
11-05-11, 06:33 PM
m just thinking while its apart to get the better bits

Rather than buy standard pistons as the low comp are only £100-200 more

bazil
11-05-11, 06:54 PM
cool ill give him a message

Will lowering the compression cause it to not run on standard management?

i do beleive you could increase the boost slightly to overcome the lower compression, but im no expert lol

Southie
11-05-11, 06:57 PM
Plug, probably no real help to you as the spec of this guys is more than yours
>LINK (http://www.vauxhall-sport-forum.com/phpBB2/c20let-piston-and-conrod-advice-needed-please-t15515.html)<

Wazza024
11-05-11, 07:17 PM
I have cosworth ones in mine but used to have wossner but melted all of them. But when i got the cosworth ones they did say sometimes fuel gets trapped down the side of the piston then ends up blowing them out but with cosworth ones he said they dont do that as the piston is designed to push it back out into the chamber. But ive had no problem with them and they have been running in mine for a year now :thumb:

Wazza024
11-05-11, 07:17 PM
I have cosworth ones in mine but used to have wossner but melted all of them. But when i got the cosworth ones they did say sometimes fuel gets trapped down the side of the piston then ends up blowing them out but with cosworth ones he said they dont do that as the piston is designed to push it back out into the chamber. But ive had no problem with them and they have been running in mine for a year now :thumb:

Plug
11-05-11, 07:26 PM
/\ where did you get them link?

Paul
11-05-11, 07:57 PM
By the sounds of youre engine spec, sounds as though ur goin to be better off with Mahles.

Speak to Steveboyslim, he will be the cheapest, and be able to offer you a bit of advice

If you want his # let me know

Jonlem
11-05-11, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't bother with forged pistons unless your fitting some steel rods as well. The standard pistons are more than upto the job.

Saying that if your reboring the engine you need a oversized piston and with there being such a small price difference between the Mahles and Omegas I'd use the Omegas.

Wazza024
11-05-11, 08:18 PM
I got mine from pec automotive but like it has been said with these pistons i had to change conrods at the same time. But on my wossner pistons i had standard conrods and the conrods where fine. But if you cant find them on the net ill give you there number if you want

Jonlem
11-05-11, 08:28 PM
Most pistons will work fine with standard rods, my point was that people fit good pistons so they can eventually turn the power up, sadly its the rods that fail not the pistons so IMO best to change both.

david dixon
11-05-11, 09:51 PM
See steve for Omega's and PEC for cosworth
I'm going to be running the standard pistons with my nova turbo, as stated they will take alot more than the standard rods will, if you use them just make sure your bottom end has good bores and a new set of pistons rings, the standard pistons have been used up to around 600bhp in south africa, sutton used them on 540 bhp

David.

Southie
11-05-11, 10:00 PM
Joe, I've had a search around for you on old posts regarding LET pistons and as on here Steves name does come up regularly with recommendations ;)

Also found these on my travels though.
http://www.performanceenginecomponents.com/products/product.asp?id=250629

philip
12-05-11, 12:14 AM
sutton also only used his engine for the strip and not the road....ive stripped suttons engine this week as ben has it, and **** me how it didnt break before hand i dont know...pistons may well of done 540bhp but for how long in a road car is anyones guess. it also had isky springs on stock retainers....ace idea seeing as stock retainers split on stock xes and also had later spring platforms so lucky inner spring didnt suffer from coilbind.

piston wise either omega or accralites...ive used omegas and building suttons old motor on omegas now and another LET on accralites, omega own accralite now so piston quality is just as good. never rated wossners...even though specky runs them or cosworth brand.

Plug
12-05-11, 09:20 PM
anyone got a link to any of these omega's?

These the accralite ones your using? (http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/vauxhall-xe-c20xe/pistons/forged-pistons-accralite-low-comp-turbo-piston-86-5mm)

Also thinking of changing rods aswell if i can find a decient(sp?) deal.

I will be running phase 2 at the moment but will be looking at upping the power at a later date,

are these Omegas low compression pistons?

Do i need to lower the compression ? or is it worth doing?

Plug
13-05-11, 03:44 PM
bump

Will F
13-05-11, 10:38 PM
anyone got a link to any of these omega's?

These the accralite ones your using? (http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/vauxhall-xe-c20xe/pistons/forged-pistons-accralite-low-comp-turbo-piston-86-5mm)

Also thinking of changing rods aswell if i can find a decient(sp?) deal.

I will be running phase 2 at the moment but will be looking at upping the power at a later date,

are these Omegas low compression pistons?

Do i need to lower the compression ? or is it worth doing?

The compression ratio depends on what spec you are building - the pistons arent the only thing that contribute - block, head and head gasket all can be tweaked to get the desired comp ratio

The std pistons/spec are fine for pretty good power - so I would (like Paul said) go for Mahles and std rods - as these are fine for 300+

a well built bottom end will be as strong as a 'normal' build 'high spec' item.

get a decent machine shop/builder and the rest will look after itself.

If you ask on a forum - you will get a thousand different opinions.

philip
13-05-11, 11:04 PM
i wouldnt like to use stock rods over 300bhp these days as done alot of milage and for the cost id put some steel rods in, but stock pistons are ok tbf for 400bhp or so imo.

plug yeah there the ones but i think i can do them cheaper

Plug
14-05-11, 09:28 AM
How much philip and what else can you supply??

Asking as ive tryed sending steve pm's but cant :( on mig anyway