PDA

View Full Version : Side repeaters, needed or not needed?

windfreek
10-05-11, 06:45 PM
As far as I can make out if the car is after 1981, repeaters are mandatory? is there any MOT boffs here that can confirm this?

Im asking as i smoothed over mine on the Nova several months ago but then fitted M3 style mirrors, but now I absolutely hate them to the point of smashing them up :mad: and want to put the original standard mirrors on, but as a result will loose the repeaters that are on the mirrors and don't want to have to re-cut the repeaters in again into the wings... on a side note, if they are needed, is there any positioning specifications for them as im thinking of mounting them on the inside of the quarter glass on the doors facing out... feedback plz?!

Spudly
10-05-11, 06:48 PM
Why not mount them in the edge of the fatory mirrors as you will only need some sticky pads and a hole saw to do this, my mate used aftermarket ford focus style ones, if your wiring already runs to the mirrors why not do that?

Lewis.
10-05-11, 06:50 PM
they are indeed an MOT requirement. as far as i'm aware, there is no specific details on location, other than the side to the front of the vehicel, though I will check the manual tomorrow to confirm this.

personally i think they would look worse in the wondow than on the wing, as you will see the back of the lamp from inside.

windfreek
10-05-11, 06:53 PM
they are indeed an MOT requirement. as far as i'm aware, there is no specific details on location, other than the side to the front of the vehicel, though I will check the manual tomorrow to confirm this.

personally i think they would look worse in the wondow than on the wing, as you will see the back of the lamp from inside.

ive seen some sticky led strips on fleabay that i was going to mount aroung the outer edge of the glass and tuck the wires into the glass seals out of the way so you cant see any wires/lights etc from the inside and furthermore without it blocking the view of the mirrors

L14MNP
10-05-11, 06:57 PM
Haven't checked, but I thought side repeaters were only legally required after 1984?

windfreek
10-05-11, 07:00 PM
Haven't checked, but I thought side repeaters were only legally required after 1984?

yeah im a K reg BTW 1993

mk1nova_rich
10-05-11, 07:02 PM
Early Novas don't have them

MARTIN KELSON
10-05-11, 07:03 PM
I thought you could get away without on a MKII because the front indicator slightly wraps around.

There are plenty of MKII out there with no side repeaters so its either ok or they have a friendly tester :)

windfreek
10-05-11, 07:09 PM
I thought you could get away without on a MKII because the front indicator slightly wraps around.

hmmmmmm.... interesting?!? can anyone confirm this?

Graeme
10-05-11, 07:10 PM
I have also has a Mk2 pass an mot without side repeaters and it was a 90 H plate

Lewis.
10-05-11, 07:11 PM
if they pass without them, then its down to the tester missing them, but it should be a faliure.

those sticky strips sound quite good, you got a link?

Jack
10-05-11, 07:11 PM
MOT manual says:

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5.

However, some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicle’s rear bumper with the indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

CBA to read the RVLR right now so dunno if that says anything different, although it might specify where abouts on the side of the car a side repeater has to be.

richi
10-05-11, 07:13 PM
i remeber asking the mot guy who did my old nova he said it passed because they wrap around, just depends how arsy the mot tester is i guess

Lewis.
10-05-11, 07:13 PM
didn't know that Jack, theres your answer then boys and girls :thumb:

windfreek
10-05-11, 07:14 PM
those sticky strips sound quite good, you got a link?

something along the lines of this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-cm-FLEXIBLE-LED-STRIP-orange-light-12-volts-/350313654553?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5190522919#ht_1571wt_905

edit: i think i may do it nehu just for s*its n giggles

MARTIN KELSON
10-05-11, 07:20 PM
I have some new wings in the loft & when i fit them i'am not planning on fitting repeaters.

My Nova went for MOT at weekend, & its a testers nightmare but like the guy told me, if its there it has to work!

I have no back seats, no spare wheel, etc so nothing for them to test, cant fail on whats not there!!

Jack
10-05-11, 07:20 PM
The sticky stuff on those LED strips is crap mind; I certainly wouldn't trust it on car bodywork not to peel off at speed.

They do make very very good under-door kerb lights though (in white) :d

windfreek
10-05-11, 07:25 PM
The sticky stuff on those LED strips is crap mind; I certainly wouldn't trust it on car bodywork not to peel off at speed.

sorry, i ment on the inside of the glass facing out :roll:

Mazz
10-05-11, 07:47 PM
Something to do with being able to see an amber light from a certain angle when stood by rear wheel...

mowgli
10-05-11, 08:02 PM
as with most of these things, its down to the ignorance/or not, of the tester

Edd
10-05-11, 08:10 PM
Yeah it all down to how friendly your tester is if the car is mid '86 onwards

I had my XE pass 3 times with no side repeaters that was '89, the Sport should be ok cause it's before mid '86

windfreek
10-05-11, 08:16 PM
heres the offenders that im getting rid of, i hope we all agree that they really are fugly pieces of sh*t

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/windfreek/100.jpg

Mazz
10-05-11, 08:28 PM
Whats wrong with them? Mfree mirrorz innit bruv

windfreek
10-05-11, 08:32 PM
lol, please forgive me, i have now seen the error of my ways and seek truth and enlightenment, less chav please lol

dan23
10-05-11, 09:46 PM
how about buy one of the sticky strips above an mount it to the outside edge of the standard mirror if you are lucky you will be able to pop the mirror cap back on trapping the wires instead of drilling the mirror

or what if the above sticky strip was mounted on the front edge of the wing next to the indicator (on a mk1 )