PDA

View Full Version : C.v. joint keeps Breaking

K24_STE
09-05-11, 07:44 PM
Hi all bit of a problem I keep breaking the passanger side inner C.V joint on my c20let (f28) nova just wonderd if anyone has the same problem and if so is it just a case of liveing with it and replaceing it every few hundred mile or is there somthing I can do to prevent it from happening (some sort of uprated item maby?) I never realy use the car hard in 1st n 2nd gear, just 3rd n upwards.. thanks in advance. :)

tommy8252
09-05-11, 08:31 PM
Are you running the uprated motorsport shafts?

K24_STE
09-05-11, 08:51 PM
Ye big block inner n outer c.v motorsport hubs equal length shafts but only ever passanger side inner that goes..

Paul
09-05-11, 08:59 PM
Engine in square?

tommy8252
09-05-11, 09:01 PM
Correct spacing on gearbox mount?

K24_STE
09-05-11, 10:18 PM
Ye engine in square.

How do you mean correct spaceing on gearbox mount? the mounts were part of a converstion kit and as far as I am aware the engine is sitting correctly in the bay. :)

GRUNT 16V
09-05-11, 10:27 PM
Ye engine in square.

How do you mean correct spaceing on gearbox mount? the mounts were part of a converstion kit and as far as I am aware the engine is sitting correctly in the bay. :)
Are you sure as this used to happen to (i think) paul solcombes nova and his engine was slightly out of square and his always broke

K24_STE
09-05-11, 10:45 PM
If I get some pic's tomorrow n post them up you think you'd be able to tell from them if it was out of alignment? pretty sure all is well with that thoe but will be worth abit of experianced advice. :)

fearless
10-05-11, 12:59 AM
Insufficent drive shaft plunge !!!! Place a 5mm spacer between the cv joint and the wheel bearing/hub - althought you will have to redrill the split pin hole on the joint as it will no longer be visible when the spacer is fitted !!!

When your front suspension is at it's extreme's of travel - ie wheels off the floor or bottomed out - the length of the driveshaft is at it's longest as opposed to when the shaft is in the horizontal position (Shaft at it's shortest) - If the driveshaft is slightly to short - the cage/bearings in the cv joints are pulled out to the edge of the joint - running at there weakest point (resulting in the cv joint failing - you will probably see where the balls have pushed out the cv joint casing)

When you lower your car - the driveshaft will probably not be in the horizontal position (ideal) - running at an angle

By fitting a spacer on the end of the outer cv joint before you push it through hub and fit the nut on the end - you will be pushing the outer body of the cv joint further onto the shaft - allowing the cage/balls to run in the strongest part of the joint

It's a bit difficult to explain without showing you what I mean - bu I hope that makes sense

It just needs to be a large washer that will butt up against to inner face of the wheel bearing without catching the hub when the cv joint is pushed through

The last one I used was about 5mm thick

Dave

Will F
10-05-11, 09:01 AM
If you have equal length shafts - then it wont be a spacing issue, as the inner will be in the same place as it would normally?

Jeff16v
10-05-11, 09:49 AM
You don't mention how low it is, is it stupidly low?

mines on standard 22mm shafts with about 60mm drop and i've never had a problem, does it pop out cornering?

GRUNT 16V
10-05-11, 10:34 AM
Theres only one other way i have heard of a conversion is flooring it on full steering lock this used to happen to a 2 ltr corsa when rallying