Front brake sticking
Has been into garage once to free up but still faulty
any suggestions ?

Paul
09-05-11, 07:36 AM
Knackered flexi is a possibility

dhdev (Oli)
09-05-11, 09:10 AM
What did the garage actually do? and when did they do it?

I ask as garages have a reputation for sanding off corrosion and just pushing the piston back into the bore. Obviously this is, at best, a bodge. It may be that the piston has corroded again.

If they fitted a new caliper, then Paul's suggestion is a good one.

Nova00
09-05-11, 12:48 PM
What did the garage actually do? and when did they do it?

I ask as garages have a reputation for sanding off corrosion and just pushing the piston back into the bore. Obviously this is, at best, a bodge. It may be that the piston has corroded again.

If they fitted a new caliper, then Paul's suggestion is a good one.

No new parts fitted - Did check over / lubricate - probably as you say just pushed the piston back in !
I will forgive the garage - always worth a try
Done Saturday - failed again Sunday !
Can I take it that the new calipers still available ?

mowgli
09-05-11, 01:22 PM
is it on std original brakes?? if so, the sliders can seize up too,

grooge
09-05-11, 01:26 PM
i'd say oli's got it right, sounds like the garage has just pushed the piston back in.

can get recon calipers from local motor factors.

you could also buy the piston and seals required and do it yourself if you wanted.

for a quick fix if you still need to use the car daily you could sand the piston down and lube it up til you get the parts/recon caliper, assuming thats whats wrong with it.

grooge
09-05-11, 01:28 PM
is it on std original brakes?? if so, the sliders can seize up too,

forgot about this, for some reason i just assumed ate calipers as i'm doing mine just now.

Riggy
09-05-11, 07:15 PM
or if you fancy a cheap upgrade, then corsa/tigra , calipers and discs/pads

could always throw them on for you if you need

Nova00
09-05-11, 07:32 PM

I can see you are determined that our car is modified so we can be a "proper" member of PNG !!!! ...........destiny but perhaps not yet

thanks for all the info from everyone

tommy8252
09-05-11, 07:34 PM
Are the brakes off a 1.2 corsa not the same?

Nova00
13-05-11, 06:44 AM

Still not sorted - garage says break main cylinder also faulty which looks difficult to get hold of
-what sort of cost would your suggestion be talking of ? would your suggestion also require a different brake cylinder ?

mowgli
13-05-11, 08:15 AM
the nova master cylinder is easily available, there are loads on the bay.

old style calipers aren't great, and if you can replace them with later ate type ones & discs, (if they fit under your wheels) then we advise it.

always remember to get the rear drum brakes, cleaned, and adjusted.

your garage must have a really rubbish supplier.

Stuart
13-05-11, 10:34 AM
I had 1.2 corsa ATE calipers on my 1.2 nova back in the day. They fit perfectly under the 13" wheels and used normal unvented discs etc.

Riggy
13-05-11, 02:19 PM
Still not sorted - garage says break main cylinder also faulty which looks difficult to get hold of
-what sort of cost would your suggestion be talking of ? would your suggestion also require a different brake cylinder ?

wouldnt be a lot , id say you can get a servo for £20 might even have a spare myself ,

and as stu said you could just get 1.2 corsa caliper , would still use your discs then id say about £20 aswell from a breakers , only take an hour to put it all on for you

Nova00
13-05-11, 09:22 PM
the nova master cylinder is easily available, there are loads on the bay.

old style calipers aren't great, and if you can replace them with later ate type ones & discs, (if they fit under your wheels) then we advise it.

always remember to get the rear drum brakes, cleaned, and adjusted.

your garage must have a really rubbish supplier.

thanks for info

I am not so sure that are available new.There are lots of types. Definately none new with number 2122FAB from vauxhall / opel . I have a second hand one lined up.

as for the garage ....I took the car to a local garage (was recommended !) because car not driveable ...... a big mistake

Nova00
13-05-11, 09:24 PM
wouldnt be a lot , id say you can get a servo for £20 might even have a spare myself ,

and as stu said you could just get 1.2 corsa caliper , would still use your discs then id say about £20 aswell from a breakers , only take an hour to put it all on for you

I am considereing possibilities but really need car back on road for next Sunday

mowgli
13-05-11, 10:20 PM
thanks for info

I am not so sure that are available new.There are lots of types. Definately none new with number 2122FAB from vauxhall / opel . I have a second hand one lined up.

as for the garage ....I took the car to a local garage (was recommended !) because car not driveable ...... a big mistake

my stepbrother, who has no mechanical knowledge, took his cav mk3 to a garage some years back for an MOT. they reckoned it needed new rear cylinders, calipers & master cylinder, and a patch welding on, all for the bargain price of £800, luckily he rang my dad, who was stood next to me. we asked him just how big was the hole in the garage wall where he hit it. as there wasn't a hole, we told him to go & get the car back quickly. the pedal was on the floor, and he crawled it to another garage, and they found that the brakes were fine, but had been drained, and the patch was unnecessary..

Nova00
13-05-11, 10:30 PM
my stepbrother, who has no mechanical knowledge, took his cav mk3 to a garage some years back for an MOT. they reckoned it needed new rear cylinders, calipers & master cylinder, and a patch welding on, all for the bargain price of £800, luckily he rang my dad, who was stood next to me. we asked him just how big was the hole in the garage wall where he hit it. as there wasn't a hole, we told him to go & get the car back quickly. the pedal was on the floor, and he crawled it to another garage, and they found that the brakes were fine, but had been drained, and the patch was unnecessary..

So what ?

mowgli
13-05-11, 10:32 PM
there are a lot of garages who see brakes as a way of making easy money off people.

John
13-05-11, 10:38 PM
As others have said, bin the oe calipers and get the "garage" to fit a set of ate calipers off a corsa. Late mk2 novas had ate calipers as standard :)

Nova00
13-05-11, 10:49 PM
As others have said, bin the oe calipers and get the "garage" to fit a set of ate calipers off a corsa. Late mk2 novas had ate calipers as standard :)

Thanks seems that this 100% of the advise

Where does the faulty master cylinder tie in ?
Is it just a matter of replacing the existing one with the same type ?

mowgli
13-05-11, 10:50 PM
yes.

Nova00
14-05-11, 05:44 AM
there are a lot of garages who see brakes as a way of making easy money off people.

Discused with garage this morning - confident will now work OK. We will see If the garage does not do correctly they will not be paid!

Nova00
30-07-12, 01:38 PM
Sticking again !

PM sent

marc69
30-07-12, 01:59 PM
The guides in these calipers always stick unless you grease them and seal thjem regularily, you can test by removing the pads, remove the cap for the brake fluid (put a rag over if you are previous about the looks of your engine bay) and push the caliper in and out. It is almost certain it won't. Just get a new guide (slider) kit, when you are fitting these check the piston moves freely in and out.

mowgli
30-07-12, 02:10 PM
we told you they were crap when you first asked, and tried to get you to change them for the later & much better ones.

and we will tell you again. the old style brakes are crap, change them for ate type corsa b ones.

Nova00
30-07-12, 02:27 PM
agreed - that is why they are now being sorted but since the car was so very close to beiing scrapped last year there was little point in doing then

we told you they were crap when you first asked, and tried to get you to change them for the later & much better ones.

and we will tell you again. the old style brakes are crap, change them for ate type corsa b ones.

Nova00
30-12-12, 12:01 PM
This is NOT a front brakes question (which are fine since ate calipers fitted)

Suggestions required as what can I do to stop back brakes sticking when not in regular use ?
(a more permanent solution required - cleaning etc not solving the problem)

Benn
30-12-12, 12:02 PM
Leave it in gear, rather than the hand brake on.

mowgli
30-12-12, 12:15 PM
100% agreed, you might want to chock the wheels with a couple of house bricks &put a sign on the dash warning that its in gear.

Stuart
30-12-12, 01:47 PM
The rear drums always stick, even on other cars upto mid 00's.

Spudly
30-12-12, 04:14 PM
The rear drums always stick, even on other cars upto mid 00's.

Agreed, if im not using my 2003 astra for a while i always leave it in gear with handbrake off, and when i park the nova up thats always left in gear as i never know when the nova will next be out, ive had seized drums before and theyre a pain!

Nova00
30-12-12, 05:13 PM
I agree about the pain especially when in the garage with limited access- luckilly this time I got the brakes free and was able to move the car. Definately no hand brake on tonight.

Benn
30-12-12, 07:33 PM
On my 11 plate van the hand brake sticks when it's damp.

Stuart
30-12-12, 07:46 PM
The handbrake sticks on Astons too.... So nothing is impervious to sticking no matter how expensive the parts lol

Benn
30-12-12, 07:50 PM
lol it's simple rusting metal really...

marc69
30-12-12, 07:52 PM
Everytime my handbrake sticks I just reverse a tiny bit, clunk and its free (or else I've removed the brake linings.

Once when my SR sat for a year I went to move it, the handbrake had been left off but I could not get it out the lock up so, a bit of rope and mates car.....2 days later it passed it's MOT.

Stuart
30-12-12, 07:53 PM
lol it's simple rusting metal really...

Composite on composite in that case lol

Benn
30-12-12, 08:05 PM
Oh... haha

John
30-12-12, 08:18 PM
Have the rear brakes been fettled recently? If not I'd go for a strip/clean/adjust to check everything is ok :)