PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my car?

Lee H
23-06-03, 10:09 AM
Have put over ?10k into my car now, bought the LET lump about a month ago and fitted it, the headgasket went so I spent all day Saturday fitting a new headgasket and everything was fine then and was well happy. Went out in it Sunday morning and it cut out with a bang, had a look and the timing belt had skipped 6 teeth and I now have a lot of bent valves and knowing my luck piston damage.

This is after my ?500 valver lump lasted 4 months before oil pump failed and shagged the bottom end................... seem to have the car in bits every weekend without fail fixing things and i'm now sick of using public transport all the time while paying insurance on a car thats always broken down!!

Its going to cost me a fortune to fix? Should i fix it or just get shot of the car as it really does seem cursed :roll:

Lee

Jules
23-06-03, 10:19 AM
Looking at the pics I think you'd be mad to seel it, looks awesome!!!!
Just sounds like you're having some bad luck, once it's all up and running you'll be chuffed to bits - trust me.
I'm not knocking your technical know-how or spannering abilitys but the slipped cambelt must of been a result of the head gasket change, so just put that down to bad luck and mark it up as 'experience' I guarentee you'll double check the cambelt next time so something good has come out of it.
Take the head off to see what damage has been done, get a new set of valves (Hopefully not a new head aswell), slap it all back together, check EVERYTHING twice (at least) and go enjoy yourself!!!

Think how much you'd get for it in it's present state compared to how much you've spent on it? Then think of what you'd be able to buy with the little you'd get for it? Would it be a 200 BHP turbo'd hot hatch that's lowered on big rims with metallic paint? Didn't think so...........
:roll:

Keep it!!!
:D

nova---chris
23-06-03, 10:23 AM
Agreed.

Id take ya time with it and just strip it and rebuild it.
I think ud wonder what it would have been like if you sold it.
And some kid had it running mint ect ect.

Just hold onto it and fix the fecking thing.
Surely theres some turbo owners on here who are willing to help with things if need be??? ect ect :lol:

Gsidecturbo
23-06-03, 12:00 PM
well m8
i had this idea sell my car and stuff it. was sick of fixing it all the time but i love the drive and im keeping it. Just take ur time and rebuild it m8, its well worth it. I could never get rid of mind love it to bits to much.

dec

ps just take ur time.

Jim
23-06-03, 01:20 PM
Sorry to hear about that Lee. Your car looked Mint at PV aswell.

I'm gonna agree with some of the others, take your time with it and sort the problems out. My cars a shed at the minute, but I'm waiting for some money to come through before I can start fixing it up. I don't really like driving my car at the minute, but I know once I get the car looking and going more like it should do then I know I'll be happy. I think you'll only kick yourself if you sell it.

Jim

simon@novaheaven
23-06-03, 01:37 PM
ive had more problems with that with my nova and its cost me a fortune to build and repair everything thats gone wrong with it. now ive persisted and got it finished and running well im chuffed with it! its taken me a yr to get built and running right but the smile on my face when i drive it makes it all worth while! plus the satisfaction that ive done 99.9% of it myself!

just keep on with it! will be worth it in the long run!

Rick Draper
23-06-03, 08:24 PM
Lee it cud be worse you cud have a bill for having to rebuild a whole engine and a bill for a whole turbo rebuild :o . If i was you i would whip the engine out, take the head off it, have the head rebuilt then slot it all back together and refit it into your car. Its far easier to work on out of the car and it only takes a few hours to pull it out. This way you can ensure you get good tension on the cam belt and make sure all the timing marks line up properly. Rick

dan16v
23-06-03, 10:58 PM
keep it m8! ull regret it! with regards to the engine just spend loads of ????? onit to make it reliable ie pistons, water pump/oil pump! i h8 just putting in an engine with out a full re-build always hassle down the road!

Ben (lurk75)
23-06-03, 11:03 PM
ive had more problems with that with my nova and its cost me a fortune to build and repair everything thats gone wrong with it.

I must say Simon has had some real bad luck with his car, only need to look round his garage to see that, dead shells and old engine bits all other the place, but it shows the amount of work (and the fact he has bought everything new from vauxhall).

brian
24-06-03, 12:41 AM
Stick with it Lee its a gorgeous car and would be a shame to see it go. Buy another car if you don't already have one and it will help! it does in my case. I was like you with the wide arch Nova, completely pissed off and then someone said they would buy the Engine, next thing i had the car broke and sold. But your problems are just engine related right? i know its all money but think before you decide to take some offer on it.

mikeoxford
24-06-03, 12:47 AM
:( lee mate dont do it

the amount of times ive been :evil: at my car, and you can tell yourself my car aint a minter by any means. but everytime people on here convince me to keep plodding on - and i do - i may be going the long way round but i get there. its coming along

take it as a chip off the old block.

get your head down. sort the problem

and be laffing afterwards.

stick with it bud its a minter