PDA

View Full Version : Halfords "Advanced" tools.

Mike
08-05-11, 05:00 PM
Got to say, very impressed with!!

Long story short, I oblitirated a 24" long 1/2" drive ratchet yesterday removing a 30mm nut so picked up a 1/2" drive breaker this morning & try as I might it wont brake for shiz! I snapped the head off a 1/2" extension bar this morning but this god damn breaker bar is still in one piece :cool:

Iain
08-05-11, 05:04 PM
Does lifetime warranty cover breaker bars too? If so swing away lol

Mazz
08-05-11, 05:05 PM
Keep the receipt, they iirc, they a life time warranty

Mike
08-05-11, 05:06 PM
Apparently it does Iain, I told the women on the counter Ill be back later for another when this one snaps (assuming that it would as its looks pretty pathetic tbh) but its still in one piece lol

General Baxter
08-05-11, 05:06 PM

as mazz said, keep the receipt, even tho they have halfords on them, they wont change it with out it lol

Iain
08-05-11, 05:10 PM
Cool all good then, I know the warranties don't cover "moving parts" (e.g. ratchets) so wondered if they blagged breaker bars under that category or not!

MK999
08-05-11, 05:11 PM
Apparently it does Iain, I told the women on the counter Ill be back later for another when this one snaps (assuming that it would as its looks pretty pathetic tbh) but its still in one piece lol

Only covers non moving parts, so unless you snap the handle they will tell you to feck off.

Breaker bars are ok, not amazing imo, ratchets are utter tosh now, as is most of the rest of the range.

Mike
08-05-11, 05:14 PM
Cool all good then, I know the warranties don't cover "moving parts" (e.g. ratchets) so wondered if they blagged breaker bars under that category or not!

Ah I didnt know that!

Last night I read a lot of the reviews on the Helfrauds home page & a lot of poeple on there are saying there basically surprised at how strong this partic breaker bar is!? I put 130lb/ft odd through it to remove a hub nut & it didnt even bend, just ploughed it into a tarmac driveway lol

L14MNP
08-05-11, 05:20 PM

Scan them in before the ink fades though!

Advanced is crap compared to Pro tbh, but they were both never gonna set the world on fire. i have loads of Pro stuff and it's prefectly up to the job for the heavy handed noob home mechanic! lol

My 24" breaker bar is just some no-make sh!tter and I have had it flexing loads of times, with scaffy bar on the end etc and no sign of it giving up yet. :)

Oh yeah, having a mate who works there is handy for when you overload your ratchets! lol

Mazz
08-05-11, 05:20 PM
tbh, I bought a cheap and nasty breaker bar from a show a few years ago for a tenner and haven't managed to break it yet..

Mike
08-05-11, 05:23 PM
Apparently they dont do 24" breaker in the Pro range according to the website lol

The only reason I settled for a halfords one was by the time I finished yesterday eve everywhere was shut & the only place to get one asap here was Halfruads. I could of easily got a Draper Proffessional from Mrs Mikes work for seriously cheap but would have to wait till Monday, which would be no use by then :S

L14MNP
08-05-11, 05:29 PM
lol 'chrome vanadium' is all mine says on it, and I have asked a lot of it. Even the movement on the head seems great. Nice countersunk inhex bolt and all that.
Very nice. lol
(I wager your Advanced one is shinier though!)

Ernie
09-05-11, 08:12 AM
Just make sure if you shove a scoffing pole on for a bit more welly don't mark the breaker bar or they may not take it back.

Stuart
09-05-11, 12:07 PM
I've found the opposite.... Advance tools are dire compared to the old pro range.

Cheap chinky costdowns FTL :(

Britool have dropped their cost of late, implying a drop in quality but they are still as good as old Pro :)

bmw156
09-05-11, 12:44 PM
i broken the end on a halfords breaker bar, can buy the bits still so not a diaster.

i was standing on it mind.

TeddyThom
09-05-11, 12:45 PM
I used to have a set of Halfrauds advanced, IIRC they are made in the same place as the snap on tools. Correct me if I'm wrong. Managed to snap an extension bar from one of them sets though (and I wasn't standing on it) lol

16v-xe
09-05-11, 12:58 PM
I work there, not some promo but the advanced and pro tools are a good comparison to some pricey tools, i havn't managed to break any yet anyway at work or home. atm there's a deal on for a 2 drawer tool case full of polished tools; ratchets, socket sets, etc etc £50 and ideal to keep in the car, got one for my van :) defo worth a look. life time warranty on all tools too, think the deal is that if you break it, you have to take a replacement though and not a refund iirc

mowgli
09-05-11, 12:58 PM
I used to have a set of Halfrauds advanced, IIRC they are made in the same place as the snap on tools. Correct me if I'm wrong. Managed to snap an extension bar from one of them sets though (and I wasn't standing on it) lol

i'd truly be surprised if snap-on was made in the same place....

you lot must be genuinely rough on your kit..

mike, you were doing a job meant for a 3/4 drive, and anybody who uses a ratchet for that sort of a job is asking for trouble.. the t bar is there in the tool box for a reason..

TeddyThom
09-05-11, 01:00 PM
i'd truly be surprised if snap-on was made in the same place....

you lot must be genuinely rough on your kit..

mike, you were doing a job meant for a 3/4 drive, and anybody who uses a ratchet for that sort of a job is asking for trouble.. the t bar is there in the tool box for a reason..

I was trying to undo a wheel nut on a mates pug 106, they were done up far too tight, and I managed to lift the back end off the deck then the bar snapped :wtf:lol

mowgli
09-05-11, 01:09 PM
ahh yes, the idiot fastfit tyre people who think windy guns should also do up the wheel bolts....... we fell foul of that with an astra van, we had a scaffold (and i don't mean a short one), with our trusty strap on breaker bar onto a black impact 17mm, and shattered the socket.... took the van back to the fastfit, and played merry fook in front a reception area full of customers about it, the manager of the place went and got a torque wrench & smugly showed me that it was the correct torque, cos it clunked. so i put 10lbft on it & set it to undo & asked the manager to undo it.....which he couldn't, so i had them windy gun them off & put them back on by hand... then advised everyone in the reception area to do the same...

TeddyThom
09-05-11, 01:11 PM
Yup. Idiots.

I had to crack out the scaffold bar to undo one of the wheel nuts on the nova, as a mate done them up with his windy gun and neglected to tell me, I was trying for 15 minutes before I realised he did them up like that, needless to say I gave him a bollocking lol

gunny
09-05-11, 01:14 PM
We bought an 'emergency cheapo breaker bar' a couple of years ago for a fiver from our local discount warehouse, put it next to my old mans snap-on one it looks exactly the same but has no lettering whatsoever and has took the same if not more abuse.

mowgli
09-05-11, 01:15 PM
it was part of the slippery slope towards us doing 99% of our own repair work. we run a lot of wagons, and our first one was in a workshop getting its brakes done, and the lazy bastid fitter was struggling to undo the lh rear nuts, they were left-hand thread in those days on the lh side, and had a habit of self tightening on the road, so he warmed them up till they were cherry red & used the 1" drive gun on them. then we demanded some new wheel nuts, as any heat treatment on them was gone.. he countered with the fact that he did it to every wagon he worked on & it was alright....... we got 10 new nuts, put it back together ourselves & drove it out of there never to pay the bill or return....

Lewis.
09-05-11, 01:32 PM

FFS I am so fed up of people saying this. Snap-On are made in Kenosha, USA, whilst Halfords tools are made by Danmar Co. in Taiwan

I know a lot of people think snap-on is overpriced, and for the home mechanic they are a bit steep, but for the professional tech, they are far better value. I use my tools hard all day, every day, and the only tools i break are cheap ones, and they are then replaced with snap on. the only thing that goes wrong with snap on is i wear the ratched mechanisms out every 6 months or so, but they are replaced free under warranty so its all good

TeddyThom
09-05-11, 08:26 PM
FFS I am so fed up of people saying this. Snap-On are made in Kenosha, USA, whilst Halfords tools are made by Danmar Co. in Taiwan

Dude chill, I didn't know, and was going on what I got told, I don't know where tools are made, and I don't care as long as they do the job they are supposed to do lol

Mazz
09-05-11, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGWEI390Pe8

Lewis.
10-05-11, 01:26 PM
Dude chill, I didn't know, and was going on what I got told, I don't know where tools are made, and I don't care as long as they do the job they are supposed to do lol

I wasn't gettin at you dude, sorry :thumb: but i've heard that about a million times now lol

mowgli
10-05-11, 01:28 PM
by the way, snap-on have factories all over the world.. but they actually closed the kenosha factory.

Sturge
10-05-11, 08:04 PM
I've found the opposite.... Advance tools are dire compared to the old pro range.

Cheap chinky costdowns FTL :(

Britool have dropped their cost of late, implying a drop in quality but they are still as good as old Pro :)

I'd definitely agree the Advanced stuff isn't as good as the Pro, you can even see it in the quality of the ratchet bodies.

The truth to the rumour.... The original Pro range used the previous generation Snap On design and tooling which is why it was so good, with only the first couple of batches being made in the Snap On factory, the rest on license elsewhere. Around the same time, Snap On switched to the dual pawl design ratchet. The Advanced stuff is basically a cheap oriental knock off of the pro stuff as Stu said.

As for Britool being as good as the Pro stuff. Not for a very long time has that been the case. Britool was bought out by Facom a good few years ago now and became their budget range, just took a while for the price to follow the quality. The stuff is Sunday Market quality now IMO. Sent a lot of it back about 4 years ago when I made the mistake of trying it out.

Stuart
10-05-11, 09:14 PM
Interesting, I found the recent britool stuff to be velly good when compared to Pro (and better than 'advanced' lol)

TeddyThom
10-05-11, 09:36 PM
I wasn't gettin at you dude, sorry :thumb: but i've heard that about a million times now lol

lol no worries man :thumb:

The truth to the rumour.... The original Pro range used the previous generation Snap On design and tooling which is why it was so good, with only the first couple of batches being made in the Snap On factory, the rest on license elsewhere. Around the same time, Snap On switched to the dual pawl design ratchet. The Advanced stuff is basically a cheap oriental knock off of the pro stuff as Stu said.

So basically you are saying I'm half right? lol

Wazza024
11-05-11, 07:23 PM
I use there pro range of tools and never had a problem with them so far but had them for a fair few years but never bought a breaker bar from them as mine only cost me a tenner but has held very well over the years