PDA

View Full Version : The cost of owning a Nova

Ben (lurk75)
22-06-03, 11:37 PM
Jim asked me a rough value for the top trumps thing and i started to work out how much i have spent on my car....

Its depressing :!:

Have spent nigh on ?10k on my car and it dosent even go anywhere!

Makes you wonder where the hell it all goes. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Feel a bit like...

"This is what you could have had"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 11:41 PM
if he asks me i shall just tell him to guess, i DARENT add it up

although it wont be anything like that amount

Chris LR
22-06-03, 11:41 PM
Yeah but as long as you enjoy what you've done, whats the problem?

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 11:54 PM

not at all. although mom and dad are a bit like :? think before you spend spend spend and have bills

i think they value my unhealthy obsession with vauxhall cars and more to the point my baby nova. it so easy to get drug habbits, maybe smoke fags? or pi$$ it all up a wall.

dave.gsi
22-06-03, 11:59 PM
a police officer who stopped me one day summed it up perfectly 'you could spend your money on a lot worse things, as long as you drive sensibly you won't hurt yourself or any1 else, i don't see the harm in it'

hotdogs_r_us
22-06-03, 11:59 PM
True as long as ur enjoying ya self whats the bother :) we just trying to keep / make are cars lovely :roll:

I have spent

about ?2400 so far on 12th of july it will bring The Total to just over ?3000, then i plan to spend another 3k on it.

No sweat :)

Ben (lurk75)
23-06-03, 12:00 AM

I cant it dosent run! the engine is in my kitchen :o

It hasnt exactly cost me that much to build it as it stands now as i have replaced things i have replaced and sold the bits i removed to fund the new bits etc, but if i were to add up everything then... its a lot :!:

Quick count...

Cost of original car ?1800
1st suspenion ?220
2nd suspension ?300
Brakes ?200 (need replaing)
Bonnet ?50
Cage ?300 cost + ?100 repainting
1st Seats ?200
2nd Seats ?300 + ?150 recovering
Carbon fibre door cards ?200
Interior repainting ?100
1st engine ?450
2nd engine ?500
Engine work ?400
Conversion ?150
Alarm ?400
etc etc etc

Still to do...

Replace all 4 wings
replace bonnet
replace tailgate
repaint entire car including engine bay
refit engine
Get engine set up
etc etc etc

dave.gsi
23-06-03, 12:01 AM
my mum even likes my car now because i've given up 20 a day so i can afford the insurance for it lol

techie
23-06-03, 12:03 AM
Goint point made there.

I dont smoke, drink very little these days (boring old bastid you see), dont do drugs, so why should'nt I 'waste' a bit of money on my car.

It makes me happy.

And besides ive made money on my past three cars :P

Chris LR
23-06-03, 12:04 AM
I'd love to have an income where I could make a list of stuff like that....

I've got ?15 to my name, and 2 weeks till payday.

Tilly
23-06-03, 12:07 AM
well u cant take money to the grave so why not spend it

Ben (lurk75)
23-06-03, 12:07 AM
thats the problem i havent!

you have more money than me!

have got nearly ?1k bills every 4 weeks going out and certainly no more than that going in.

Tazzy
23-06-03, 12:22 AM
some ppl dont realise how quickly they burn money!

i done two yrs in college, then decided to take a yr out and get a full time job to save enough money to buy a car, insurance and a few mods!

i was doing labouring as it was easy (also helped me build my body!) i was on ?5.50 an hour, doin 7 in the morning to 8 at night (sometimes to 10, sometimes all nighters!) so i was raking the oney in, by the time i went back to college, i had spent all my money, and have nothing!

now i have a gorgeous GTE i cant sell or afford to insure, or afford to do anythign to the GTE as i only earn enough to keep me going for the month before i get paid again!

life sucks!

but i dont smoke, do drugs or gamble, i drink occasionally (i do work in a pub restaurant!) and i dont waste money on game consols or games!

so were the F does my money go? might be the ?7 a day taxi fairs!

brian
23-06-03, 01:06 AM
This is a good topic.
Like the rest of you i've spent a lot of time trying to justify to other people my spending of money on Novas.
And funny enough most of the people who say i'm mad spend even more on beer or whatever.
I go out too and drink pleanty but not during the week and not every night of the weekend. but these people just don't see that in the end they are spending as much if not more on other things.
When i built the wide arch Nova i took out a big loan. the car was bought for 2500. I spent around 7000 on it and that was JUST PARTS. i fitted the kit and a friend of mine prep'd and sprayed it saving me a lot of money on that side of things.
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/177big.jpg
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/177big5.jpg
That car was sold as a rolling shell for rallying and i made all that money back from the other parts plus i kept the interior for the next one
The most recent one i built is the green one. I bought it as a tatty 1L for 250. the shell is immaculate and i threw everything else out of it.
I might have spent around 2500 on this one but made all that back from breaking other gsi's etc
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/831big.jpg
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=960
When i get home from Boston i will be getting a rallycar ready for january so thats more spending planed and once thats up and runin i've plans for the green Nova plus i hope to build another next year if i have time.
I have been working with Novas for over 5 years now and gone through many and i would probably scare myself if i ever knew how much i have spent over the years but i happy :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
23-06-03, 08:31 AM
Youve got posting pictures down to an art now Brian.

There all valid points and i agree totally, but im still fed up!

jatinder
23-06-03, 08:51 AM
ben mate were all in the same boat, mate although some have spent more money that others, im at the stage were im not really going to mod my car anymore, the thing is, im pretty skint too if got no money i owe my parent at least a grand, but thats the way it is. Also how comes you had two set of suspension and two sets of seats

Ben (lurk75)
23-06-03, 09:16 AM
I am constantly upgrading things, have actually had three sets of seats :lol:

But when change the look of the car then need to change things around again, sell the old stuff and buy the new ones.

I have (about 18 months ago) got to the point where there was no way i would get all my money back so i just went completly stupid and spent loads more- weird but i could justify to myself :?

I just know as soon as its running i will plant it into a fucking great big tree

mattcogg
23-06-03, 09:39 AM
I love my car I wouldn't swap it for anything? I am the same as you guys I don't smoke, drink and I don't even got out! I drive loads and I love being in my car everybody laughs at me I don't care. It is so nice for me to own a car that is mine and that I have created its that personal touch. But what about when you just get there it all comes together and then CRASH BANG some c**t drives into you and then the insurance writes it off!!!! We all know we are never going to get it back what we put into it I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Lee H
23-06-03, 09:54 AM
I have spent just over ?10k as well now, did headgasket on the LET on Saturday which took all day and then yesterday timing belt jumped and has bent the valves. Going to cost a fortune to fix and a lot more time and i'm now so close to selling it and just getting a normal reliable car. Only thing is i'll be lucky to get ?2k for it as it is now. Everything is breaking constantly on the bloody thing.