PDA

View Full Version : This Guy Managed What We Have All Tried...

NovaLad
07-05-11, 10:48 AM
to accomplish .

I know when I was really young I tried to do it on my BMX but couldn't ever do it.

Lol... LEGEND!

http://www.itv.com/news/skater-caught-speeding06393/

mowgli
07-05-11, 10:51 AM
i'm proud if i can stay stood up on my skates....i finally learnt to skate 2 years ago... both roller & ice, and i still have some bruises left...

MK1_Ben
07-05-11, 11:08 AM
That's awesome :)

Good to see it's a blader using "aggressive skates" rather than boring old standard inlines :) I do it alot myself:

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/8549/32237142891589264215251.jpg

mk1nova_rich
07-05-11, 11:13 AM
Link won't work for me : ( theres a hill near me that must be a mile long easily. 30 most of the way down then opens up to 40 near the botton...speed cameras all the way along. Went down on a brakeless bmx a few years ago and overtook everything. I bet i wasnt far off 50mph at the bottom! Scary **** lol

mowgli
07-05-11, 11:26 AM
i've been thinking about this... as the road has induction loops in it to be triggered by a fast moving vehicle made of metal, how could this skater have triggered it?? i'm calling publicity stunt on this one.. i reckon there was someone up a stepladder with a flash camera.

but i'm an old cynic, and i reckon there would now be a story about the man being prosecuted for this & gatso pics on the news, as he already admitted it.

Iain
07-05-11, 12:51 PM
Mowgli I've read Gatsos use radar tech to measure speed in order to flash?

MattBrown
07-05-11, 12:52 PM
i've been thinking about this... as the road has induction loops in it to be triggered by a fast moving vehicle made of metal, how could this skater have triggered it?? i'm calling publicity stunt on this one.. i reckon there was someone up a stepladder with a flash camera.

but i'm an old cynic, and i reckon there would now be a story about the man being prosecuted for this & gatso pics on the news, as he already admitted it.

A fella got done for doing it with an FG 1/5th scale model car.

mowgli
07-05-11, 01:03 PM
Mowgli I've read Gatsos use radar tech to measure speed in order to flash?

they don't. look on the road next to one.. there are 2 loops, just like traffic light sensors.

phazer
07-05-11, 02:24 PM
Gatso's use radar - look it up. Truvelo (the forward facing cameras) use induction loops in the road.

Assuming it is a speed camera at all, the fact that the flash is white rather than magenta would point to a Gatso.

mowgli
07-05-11, 03:00 PM
i will be checking this, cos our local gatso's have loops.. but i did hear a rumour of them being able to catch hgvs running at the lower speed limits.

TeddyThom
07-05-11, 05:01 PM
Fair play to the guy

Timmy
07-05-11, 08:57 PM
i have to say i dont think thats possable i done 54mph on a bike though and not not sent one off

adam c
07-05-11, 10:52 PM
When I first read the title I thought it was going to be a video of a guy sucking his own cock!lol

adam c
07-05-11, 10:52 PM
Double post :(

mowgli
07-05-11, 11:02 PM
thanks for sharing that with us.

MK999
07-05-11, 11:04 PM
When I first read the title I thought it was going to be a video of a guy sucking his own cock!lol

Apparently, 1 in 400 can

mowgli
07-05-11, 11:05 PM
Apparently, 1 in 400 can

how the bloody hell did they find that out?????

MK999
07-05-11, 11:06 PM
how the bloody hell did they find that out?????

Survey?

Balley
07-05-11, 11:23 PM
i will be checking this, cos our local gatso's have loops.. but i did hear a rumour of them being able to catch hgvs running at the lower speed limits.

This is true, the old man got 3 points in his hgv for doing 52mph on a A road which would be 60 for a car :(

Andy
07-05-11, 11:28 PM
thats true,infact its anything thats over 2.2ton so applies to transits,as a friend of mine found out the other day

phazer
08-05-11, 12:35 PM
This is true, the old man got 3 points in his hgv for doing 52mph on a A road which would be 60 for a car :(

Yes, the radar is able to determine the size of the vehicle and adjust the limits accordingly. It's also the same reason some cars have been clocked at 400mph due to radar reflections off large objects (i.e lorries) coming the other way lol

Spudly
08-05-11, 12:38 PM
It's also the same reason some cars have been clocked at 400mph due to radar reflections off large objects (i.e lorries) coming the other way lol

I remember my dad showing me a story in the paper of a woman who was caught doing 393 mph (or something like that) and wrote back saying it was a typo surely?

They replied with oh yes youre right, it shouldve said 39 mph, now here are your three points lol

My dad said he wouldve written back to use the 'take me to court' option and then ask them in court how any vehicle could do 393mph, they wouldve had to throw it out and she wouldve had no points:d

L14MNP
08-05-11, 01:07 PM
I remember setting off a Gatso on the A1 when I was travelling towards it. :/ Obviously it was on the other side of the road.

Good job forward facing ones are illegal, cos the fcuker as good as blinded me on a pitch black stretch! (and I was doing about 90 in a 60) lol

Spudly
08-05-11, 01:27 PM
I didnt know forward facing ones were illegal, or is that 'gatso' only, as all of our 'truvelo' ones are forward facing round here?

Ive set one off aswell, scared the crap outta me as i wasnt speeding, had the rents in the car so certainly wouldnt be speeding, was doing 50 on a national speed limit road and it went off, phoned my sis to enquire as to what to do should anything come through about it and she said they had recieved a few other worried calls about it that night as it was going off well under speed lol

L14MNP
08-05-11, 01:31 PM
Aye, I mean Gasto. AFAIK all Truvelo are forward facing.

lol @ malfucti0n! it puts the sh!ts right up you doesn't it! I thought I had been clocked by a talivan a couple months back. Was doing maybe 37 in a 30 zone. I thought it was 40! lol

Spudly
08-05-11, 01:38 PM
Big time, my mum was like 'how bloody fast you going....?'

Luckily my dad looked straight over at my speedo and said he is only doing 53 from what i can see (was my old red TD with 17s on so it overread anyways so will only have been 45 at best) :eek:

Btw..

Found the full video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9e-txPOoEw) boys and girls :d

L14MNP
08-05-11, 01:38 PM
Parents and guessing speed are a great combo. Had my mother in the volvo once and she said "This seems fast for 45" That would be the rev counter! lol

Spudly
08-05-11, 01:40 PM
Lmfao, was out in the pizza van last night and silly fiats only have two digits for the rev counter numbers, was rushing a touch as we were busy and going down a 60 road i glanced down at the rev counter and laughed as i was only doing '20' rpm in 5th lol

Hoochie
08-05-11, 01:56 PM
Btw..

Found the full video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9e-txPOoEw) boys and girls :d
Quality...the patience paid off...lollol

phazer
09-05-11, 08:21 PM
Aye, I mean Gasto. AFAIK all Truvelo are forward facing.

lol @ malfucti0n! it puts the sh!ts right up you doesn't it! I thought I had been clocked by a talivan a couple months back. Was doing maybe 37 in a 30 zone. I thought it was 40! lol

Gatso doesn't have type approval for forward facing, never mind the problem of the blinding flash lol

Truvelo can be used forward facing (which is why they have a megenta flash to avoid blinding the driver) and also rear facing. Most use the induction loops in the road but they can be equiped with radar but I think this is rare.

Anyway, they should all be removed whatever technology they use!

TeddyThom
09-05-11, 08:58 PM
^^ Agreed to a certain extent.

Now there are two types of speed camera round my way, one is clearly a speed camera, the old box and the bit in the corner for the flash, but the other type I can't quite work out as it has no obvious flash... Does this mean they are digital and only work in the middle of the day? Also the lane it is sitting on is 4 lanes... I thought speed cameras could only work on a maximum of 2?

MK1_Ben
09-05-11, 09:20 PM
^^ Agreed to a certain extent.

Now there are two types of speed camera round my way, one is clearly a speed camera, the old box and the bit in the corner for the flash, but the other type I can't quite work out as it has no obvious flash... Does this mean they are digital and only work in the middle of the day? Also the lane it is sitting on is 4 lanes... I thought speed cameras could only work on a maximum of 2?

Sure it isn't a traffic camera (for monitoring the traffic etc)?

phazer
09-05-11, 09:21 PM
Certain extent? I've looked through the manufacturer specifications (not for this thread I might add lol).

Post a picture there are some new devices kicking about. The watchman being an interesting one.

If you want more info there is loads out there on the web. There really isn't any reason why the myths still propogate like they do :thumb:

phazer
09-05-11, 09:21 PM
Sure it isn't a traffic camera (for monitoring the traffic etc)?

Ah yes, they'll be ANPR, there are banks of them on the M1

MK1_Ben
09-05-11, 09:27 PM
I actually meant the ones which "the traffic people - don't know the correct name" look at to view the situation on the roads :)

phazer
09-05-11, 09:34 PM
You mean the ones you can look at via BBC travel sites etc? From what I've seen on the M1 they are on tall poles at the side of the road. The ANPRs on the M1 are on gantrys and just look like CCTV cameras.

hmm geeking out on speed/traffic cameras...oh dear lol

Lee
10-05-11, 05:00 PM

Rear facing Gatso's are radar triggered, but radar detection is unreliable to measure speed, so that's why the radar only triggers the camera, and the lines on the road are then used to measure the speed.

Truveo's use the induction loop in the floor. Thats why if you get flashed by a Gatso, there is a chance you will get away with it as it could have been a false trigger. if you get flashed by a truveo, you are getting the letter lol

Jack
10-05-11, 05:20 PM
I actually meant the ones which "the traffic people - don't know the correct name" look at to view the situation on the roads :)
TrafficMaster? The blue things? Or you mean SPECS?

I thought some Gatso's were induction loop triggered as well - I know RLCs are, but I'm sure I've seen some in the past dotted about away from lights.

Truvelo are a pain, there's some on the way to Craig's on a nice bit of road ruined by a 40 limit. You pop up from a hump in the road to find a camera pointing in your face lol

Anyways, I'd rather have fixed cameras than roving coppers jumping out from bushes etc pointing what appear to be armed weapons at me lol

phazer
10-05-11, 07:27 PM
Anyways, I'd rather have fixed cameras than roving coppers jumping out from bushes etc pointing what appear to be armed weapons at me lol

Double edged sword though eh?

I'd much rather have them and sort out all of the clueless idiots out on the road now - you know back when they'd do a stop for using fog lights in the rain :roll: or the vast number of people who think the left lane at a roundabout is to go right :tard:

Oh and the key thing a gatso doesn't have - discretion.

Jack
10-05-11, 07:29 PM
Good point. I'm just so used to police pulling people over for doing 2mph over the limit so they hit their targets, whilst letting all the muppets with foglights etc roll on by :(

RIP sensible policing! :( lol

mowgli
10-05-11, 07:31 PM
if you go on the highways agency website, and check out the traffic maps, you can click on the camera positions.... there are heffing thousands of them & you can also get snapshots on them... most are on the main carriageway, but some are on junctions... rather helpful when a bullshi++ing lorry driver is claiming to be stuck on the motorway....