PDA

View Full Version : Poping

jatinder
22-06-03, 09:10 PM
Theres a problem with the car constantly poping out of the exhaust, does anyone know what it is, or the cause, i think it may be the thin little pipes conected to the boost valve, and egr valve, as one of them poped out at one stage so i put them back in and it was fine, now all the pipes are connect ted and its making this noise again, also the ildeling is very wierd on start up its fine it idles at 8-900 rpm after a little drive it will rise to 1100-1200 rmp and if i turn the idle screw down its ok but then the fan comes on and the car wants to stall???????????? help :?:

ade
22-06-03, 10:37 PM
is it injection or carb?

My 1.4 carb did this - idled erratically revs rose and fell - very erratic. Turned out to be a hairline crack in the back of the carb body.

Ade

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 11:13 PM
is it injection or carb?

1.6 gsi so ades theory dosent *really* apply

although you could check for splits on the inlet hose for the throttle body.

check all them pipes again that you said about for splits or anything

Ben (lurk75)
22-06-03, 11:15 PM
Had a problem opn my golf like this, my vacum hose wasnt attached properly.

Chris LR
22-06-03, 11:15 PM
Couldn't be my old friend the auto-choke? Or anything obvious like low fuel/pressure?

Dicko
22-06-03, 11:45 PM
has the engine been runing ok then, had it on the road?

if its that gsi engine make sure the plugs are on rright. the sri has a diferent dizzy cap and plug sequence, if u fit the gsi in sri sequence it pops like that as i found out, and only runs on 2/3 cylinders :D

jatinder
23-06-03, 08:58 AM
has the engine been runing ok then, had it on the road?

if its that gsi engine make sure the plugs are on rright. the sri has a diferent dizzy cap and plug sequence, if u fit thekgsi in sri sequence it pops like that as i found out, and only runs on 2/3 cylinders :D

yeah when it was first on i got plug leads mixed up after that it ran fine, ive got that poping noise sorted out i bodged it by supergluing the pipe it works fine now its just the idle now, it needs to sorted out as the car idles always at 100 rpm is that ok what rpm do gsi normally idle at??

Ben (lurk75)
23-06-03, 09:02 AM
100 RPM :o :o :o

do you mean 1k rpm

Yes they normally idle around that anything from 800-1200 depending what you go the afm set too.

Dicko
23-06-03, 11:00 AM
1k is fine, maybe turn it down to 850 if poss as its summer :) i turned mine down in summer then bk to 1k for winter

jatinder
23-06-03, 02:23 PM
yeah i meant 1 k rpm, cos the sri used to idle at 800-900 rmp no higher this has a mind of its own oh well at least its normal, thankx again ben