PDA

View Full Version : Sand blasting

Nova_Tek
05-05-11, 05:35 PM
A quick one people,

Is ABS plastic sand blastable? Anyone tried it? Need to strip the paint off the spark plug cover so need to know thanks :thumb:

craig green
05-05-11, 05:38 PM
Depends on the media used, in the past I've had stuff in the cabinet but not aimed directly at it, the ambient shot particles are often kinder to delicate parts. Technique could be the key here, but I'd suspect that a direct aim would make mincemeat of the edges quite easily.

AlexW
05-05-11, 05:40 PM
Isn't it poss to do it but can't be done with metal stuff etc.

A pro should be able to advise you

Nova_Tek
05-05-11, 05:42 PM
Called up a place a bit earlier to get a couple metal bits like rocker cover and misc. stuff blasted. I asked the fella if they could do ABS plastic and he was uncertain, he said to bring a test piece (which I don't have), hence me asking.

Paul
05-05-11, 05:43 PM
Get a metal one or just use sanpaper/scotch?

Iain
05-05-11, 05:49 PM
Can you not use paint stripper and wash it off quickly once it's lifted the paint?

Nova_Tek
05-05-11, 06:04 PM
I could but waiting for that and trying to remove it all and getting it smooth to paint will take ages. Me thinks maybe a scotch pad/wet and dry and a recoat will be for the best.

Thing is though I'f I decide to get it plated then it may need to be totally stripped before hand.

jorneInnokfen
06-05-11, 04:02 AM
Sometimes sand is genereated that doesnt fall. If you place a block next to it it will fall though.Nothing new, but fun to watch huge areas of sand collapse :D

Nova_Tek
06-05-11, 07:10 PM
Went today and got the bits blasted, the guy said it's not possible so I didn't do it. That answers that lol

Longdogcharlie
06-05-11, 10:16 PM
Went today and got the bits blasted, the guy said it's not possible so I didn't do it. That answers that lol

I have just sand blasted the paint of a front bumper to get it back to the grey, and it cleaned up really good, can't understand why it would not work!!

Nova_Tek
07-05-11, 01:46 PM
Would probably depend on the type of plastic mate. He took one look at the plug cover and said'No' lol