PDA

View Full Version : Protecting a clean shell?

MattBrown
04-05-11, 09:32 AM
How is best for me too keep the 2 novas tidy?

The minter will be garage bound untill next year, so should be fine.

Is waxoil good? Schultz? Undersealer?

Or is it leave it bare, and keep it clean better?

Benn
04-05-11, 09:59 AM
You want something in all the chassis legs and bits.

Everyone gets different results tho.

Keeping it dry is the best way tho.

MattBrown
04-05-11, 10:06 AM
Opinions are very, very mixed!

Some people say dont put waxoil on, as it traps damp, others love it etc?

mk1nova_rich
04-05-11, 10:11 AM
Underseal is terrible for trapping moisture. Its good at first til it starts to dry out over time...it lifts off the surface allowing moisture to get trapped behind but you can't see it cos the underseal still looks healthy

MattBrown
04-05-11, 10:15 AM
See my point lol

I have NO idea on pretecting it, and it will be garaged for its entire life, but if im out in her, and it rains, it will be going away wet etc.

mowgli
04-05-11, 10:23 AM
the thing about waxoyl is that if you dry the metal first, then apply it, there is no moisture to trap....

srs1
04-05-11, 10:23 AM
i've carpeted my garage to allow moisture to be soaked up and not to rise onto the shell. i also hear the rubber under seal is the better one. as this is flexiable and will not lift off when drying out

General Baxter
04-05-11, 10:43 AM
use it every day, every few days just give it a wash over with clean water

brownbear
04-05-11, 10:46 AM
Stop talking About it and build it. That's the best solution :)

NOV4_SPORT
04-05-11, 10:51 AM
My shell has been sealed with dinitrol cavity wax, I have put it in all the box sections chassis legs etc after is was sitting in my warm garage for a few months so no moisture was trapped under neitheith the wax and the garage floor is painted and carpeted also.

Best bet is keep it clean and dry as possible mate

Iain

Dayle_
04-05-11, 11:35 AM
I have done mine with Dinitrol its excellent. The brown wax in the chassis legs and any where you can get too. Then removed all the old underseal, Sprayed the floor with stone chip then dinitrol under seal. Drys like a rubber membrane.

MattBrown
04-05-11, 03:53 PM
Stop talking About it and build it. That's the best solution :)

Seeing as its a 100% standard and origional car, WTF are you on aboutlol

Stuart
04-05-11, 04:13 PM
pack in a container of salt.... If the salt level is over 30% then it will act as a rust suppressant rather than an accelerator as it will absorb the moisture and prevent FeOx happening ;)

MattBrown
04-05-11, 04:19 PM
pack in a container of salt.... If the salt level is over 30% then it will act as a rust suppressant rather than an accelerator as it will absorb the moisture and prevent FeOx happening ;)

Ill passs on this one lol

Think I may do it soon, as its been in a dry garage since September, and for a year before that:)

bazil
04-05-11, 04:43 PM
give it a right good pressure wash and clean out all the corners, wash everywhere underneath then pop in the oven around 60 degrees C for half an hour then apply cavity wax

( by oven i mean a paint booth )

Edd
04-05-11, 05:04 PM
Dinitrol cavity wax is the way forwad IMO Matt

Alot better than Waxoyl

Last longer too

My shell has about 5 litres in it lol

Benn
04-05-11, 05:08 PM
give it a right good pressure wash and clean out all the corners, wash everywhere underneath then pop in the oven around 60 degrees C for half an hour then apply cavity wax

( by oven i mean a paint booth )

I wouldn't have thought that long enough to really dry it out...

bazil
04-05-11, 05:11 PM
just a guess mate, the theory is good though

Benn
04-05-11, 05:12 PM
lol you want it dryer than bone dry for when you do any kinda sealing in/up.

bazil
04-05-11, 05:14 PM
the reason my gsi is so bad with rust is i used shutz, and sealed it in the winter, on a damp day, in a cold garage,

i have no rear chassis legs now lollol

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/gsi/6ca728a8.jpg

MattBrown
04-05-11, 05:22 PM
Ill pop down to the bodyshop when im ready, and ask to put her in the oven.

I would never put a pressure washer near any car, they push water in all the seals and gaps etc.

But the oven, then dentinol sounds superb.

Shall I pour it in the cills, rear legs, front legs etc?

Dayle_
04-05-11, 05:41 PM
It connects to a air line. You then have a nozzle with a 360 degre sprayer on the end so you put it in the sills etc and spray away. It sets like brown candle wax. I did everywhere all the front panel, chasis legs inner sills inside of doors and boots.

Nick J
04-05-11, 06:20 PM
You need the correct applicating tool to go with it Matt but dinitrol will work wonders as its what comes to us via bmw. Bearing in mind we now must offer a 12 year anti corrosion guarantee on all repairs Id say it was a safe bet! You basically hook the air line up to a pressurized canister which has a tiny nozzle on the end which can rotate to any angle. Once the trigger is pulled it acts like a hose pipe and as its pressurized it blasts the waxoil into all the areas you cannot get to with a brush or schutz gun so ideal to coat inside all box sections/chassis and inside panels etc. Any good bodyshop with have a similar tool to do the job so maybe you know someone local who could lend you one for a few hours one weekend etc.

Edit.... As ive just read above comments, I would not waxoil a car thats been recently steam cleaned without giving it a thorough drying out time regardless of it going in an oven on a bake cycle or not! If your going to wash it that intricatly Id give it a few months inside a dry garage or similar before waxoiling.

Nick.