PDA

View Full Version : Carb running problems.

MK1_Ben
03-05-11, 02:39 PM
Once again she's giving me trouble haha.

The car has been suffering an erratic idle for a while, the carb is set up correctly though. Once driving it drove spot on though.

Recently it's became worse and won't idle or drive without a small amount of choke, lifting off before corners and then putting my foot down around them caused it to "cough" then the power kick in.

Now coming back from a short journey, I stopped the car in traffic and it stopped dead, started it up and it idled rough and stalled then wouldn't start again (appeared to have flooded after my attempts to start it again). There were no "mechanical" noises to suggest the Engines damaged though.

Would it be a leak somewhere on the Inlet causing it to not idle well, and now not run without choke?

Novasport
03-05-11, 02:56 PM
Could be an air leak on the manifold. What carbs are you running on the car?
If you are running DCOE's I would recommend replacing the Misab plates and thackeray washers/rubbers then get them set up.

MK1_Ben
03-05-11, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.

It's running the standard Pierburg (G reg 1.2 Merit).

MattBrown
03-05-11, 03:18 PM
If it needs some choke, its lean.

Id go for sh4t in the carb, get her open, and have a look:)

Also check plugs.

Novasport
03-05-11, 08:38 PM
Bin it and get a Weber replacement, will be the best money you will spend.

MK1_Ben
03-05-11, 10:11 PM
Okay,

Inlet manifold is leaking but; having a proper look at it, it appears the coil pack bit the dust suddenly. We have had ALOT of rain here recently which I believe may have damaged it. I took a plug out and cranked the Engine and it "coughed" out of the hole where the spark plug is so the Engine is still turning over and hasn't seized or anything, but checking for a spark I was unable to get one at all.

Going to pop into the parts place tomorrow and get a new coilpack, see if it fixes it.