PDA

View Full Version : Nova Cabriolet conversion...

Welsty
22-06-03, 01:02 PM
Just back from spain 8) where i saw a convertible nova... :idea: it's got me thinkin!! I wanna do this! Has anyone done this before and if so could u pls give me some pointers, i.e. keeping chassis strength!! Any idea how MOT is affected and also insurance... might be a pain to get any!

Ta, Welsty.

Stuart
22-06-03, 02:04 PM
would be cheaper to buy a pre converted one

Tazzy
22-06-03, 09:52 PM
an Opel Corsa Spyder!

ade
22-06-03, 10:44 PM
you'll need to strengthen the body - maybe fit a roll bar, strnegthening bars along the sides etc... Most covertables have reinforced windscreen supports (if it rolls thats the main devence and the roll bar). Speak to (I think) Ste who made a nova pick up - similar principle as most of the roofs missing.

You'll also need to make a roof and frame to support it.

Insurance wise depends - some companies wont give you personal accident insurance, theft cover or damage to the roof - less secure. Also a soft top car is more prone to driver injury - due to items (stones, objects etc) entering the car (eg kids dropping stuff off bridges etc)

Hard tops usually bounce it away - soft tops have higher risk.

Depends who you go with mind.

Welsty
22-06-03, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, i'm a welder so the metalwork is no problem, i just needed to know what needed to be done... i have two novas, one has a bent chasis (practice car!) and the other will be my "final draft".... then i might chop the practice one up into a trailer?! :lol:

I don't think i'd bother with a roof to be honest, it'd be a fine weather car...

Ta, Welsty

Chris LR
22-06-03, 11:13 PM
Like the thought, If I were you I'd consider a roll bar similar to astra convs... inbetween the windows?

keep us up to date with pics too!

ade
22-06-03, 11:34 PM
trailer ideas insane - theres an SR around by me that tows the rear 1/2 of a nova as a trailer!

looks well weird!

dave.gsi
22-06-03, 11:37 PM
lol, i remeber seeing a white orion with the same thing, nutters with too much time on their hands lol

Chris LR
23-06-03, 12:07 AM
Very common thing to do, failed MOT, dodgy Engine...

Seen it done on Transits, Landrovers, a flat beb trailer out of a Montego too.