PDA

View Full Version : why do we have to be RHD in this country!

bazil
02-05-11, 11:55 AM
being RHD means we miss out on several good cars, heres one from opel that wont be sold in the uk because they wont make them in RHD

i would actually buy one of these (http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?lang=en&id=143397029&pageNumber=1&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=19000&makeModelVariant1.modelId=13&minPowerAsArray=223&minPowerAsArray=KW&maxPowerAsArray=262&maxPowerAsArray=KW&minFirstRegistrationDate=1999-01-01&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&tabNumber=2)

General Baxter
02-05-11, 12:02 PM
import one then

Nobby
02-05-11, 12:03 PM
lhd is for panseys

bazil
02-05-11, 12:35 PM
import one then

drive throughs aint much fun in lhd :(

Connor
02-05-11, 12:38 PM
not a fan tbh

brainsnova
02-05-11, 12:40 PM

You could always reverse round

MK999
02-05-11, 12:40 PM

If having to lean over to grab your takeaway assuming you haven't thought of just parking and walking into the shop, is your reason for not wanting one, you obviously don't want one very much do you lol

windfreek
02-05-11, 12:41 PM
being RHD means we miss out on several good cars, heres one from opel that wont be sold in the uk because they wont make them in RHD

i would actually buy one of these (http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?lang=en&id=143397029&pageNumber=1&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=19000&makeModelVariant1.modelId=13&minPowerAsArray=223&minPowerAsArray=KW&maxPowerAsArray=262&maxPowerAsArray=KW&minFirstRegistrationDate=1999-01-01&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&tabNumber=2)

that looks like a Mercedes McLaren SLR which has bummed a Tigra so hard its nose has popped thru!

Jack
02-05-11, 01:00 PM
If we're talking LHD, I' much rather spend my monies on this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Plymouth_Roadrunner.jpg

General Baxter
02-05-11, 01:43 PM

aha so this is why my mate takes me to maccy lol

paddy quinn
02-05-11, 02:43 PM
drive throughs aint much fun in lhd :(reverse through

215m3
02-05-11, 03:01 PM
lhd is for panseys

I think you'll find LHD is for those that can drive. The best handling cars are always LHD and from personal experience are better suited to the track than RHD. IMHO

MK1_Ben
02-05-11, 03:09 PM
I think you'll find LHD is for those that can drive. The best handling cars are always LHD and from personal experience are better suited to the track than RHD. IMHO

He's kind of right,

Alot of "serious-built" Rally cars are LHD, even ones made in this country (if you attend a lot of the rallies here you might have noticed this). From drivers I've spoken to it's more to do with once you're used to it, having the gearstick and handbrake available to the right hand (which is usually more dominant than the left) it becoming a much more natural driving position.

Jack
02-05-11, 03:24 PM
Plus many cars are designed for RHD so LHD variants tend to be pikey 'bolt-in-bits-to-make-the-pedals-reach' OEM conversions lol

MK999
02-05-11, 05:19 PM
He's kind of right,

Alot of "serious-built" Rally cars are LHD, even ones made in this country (if you attend a lot of the rallies here you might have noticed this). From drivers I've spoken to it's more to do with once you're used to it, having the gearstick and handbrake available to the right hand (which is usually more dominant than the left) it becoming a much more natural driving position.

The big teams tend to make their cars all LHD as they have more naturally LHD drivers, and those that prefer RHD just have to get used to it. Means you don't have to adapt the cars for RHD and also makes them easier to sell on.

As for being better suited to the track, I think you'll find most of the fastest circuit cars purpose built for racing put the driver bang in the centre :p

LHD vs RHD for track would be marginal and depend on whether it was clockwise or anti clockwise and only really have any great use in placing the car on apexes, which even a good clubman driver can do with a precision of a couple inches on the n/s of the car.

peester
02-05-11, 05:30 PM
Napoleon wasnt it? blame the french perhaps?

dannyb
02-05-11, 05:37 PM
He's kind of right,

I suppose it might be easier if the car's going to be driven between stages in mainly LHD countries - and I guess LHD is more natural for the likes of Loeb Andersson etc who cut their teeth driving LHD.

L14MNP
03-05-11, 12:50 PM
Also don't a lot of works teams prefer LHD because they can route a straighter exhaust? No steering rack, MC etc in the way.

We miss a few cars from being RHD but the good far outweighs the bad IMO. Any land of the Rising Sun gen? :d

bazil
03-05-11, 12:52 PM
Suppose those cars from the JDM YOOOOO and down under could make up for it lol

Ben
03-05-11, 01:08 PM
Also better weight distribution on lhd single occupant race cars

craig green
03-05-11, 03:09 PM
Its not always a matter of certain models not being manufactured in RHD, Vauxhall probably have the option of selling anything GM, yet they choose what they want to sell from interior cloth trim options to entire models.

South Africa get performance Astra saloons (Belmont GTE's etc), had factory 165bhp C20XE's, put LSD's in their hatchbacks & get Corsa estate, saloon's & pickups.

Seeing as Vauxhall UK is run by old men, we get a pretty bland & safe set of models to choose from. VXR being the risque badge. :d

MK999
03-05-11, 03:50 PM
South Africa get performance Astra saloons (Belmont GTE's etc), had factory 165bhp C20XE's, put LSD's in their hatchbacks & get Corsa estate, saloon's & pickups.

They might have "165bhp" C20XE's, but by the time they reach (the dizzying heights of) south africa, they're more like X18XE's lol

Andy
03-05-11, 04:43 PM
Theres 165bhp standard Xe's on ebay though,so what you complaining for?!

lol

Jack
03-05-11, 04:55 PM
Add some fish and chips and you'll have 300bhp

mowgli
03-05-11, 04:56 PM
so opel appear to have made a z3... whoopdi-doo....

as for the lhd-rhd argument...

andy burton (he of crazy 306r4 rally car fame) built a rhd integrale, then fell foul of fia rules on homologation..... he just preferred it...

most race circuits on europe run clockwise, so rhd is inherently safer, as the driver is on the inside of the corner more than the outside, and then as most proper pitlanes are on the infield, the rhd driving position is also preferrable for sports racers as they get in & out on the correct side...

most lhd or rhd only cars are down to where the marketing people expect to sell them.