PDA

View Full Version : Vent Help

so1o
22-06-03, 12:26 AM
Im gonna have a 2.0 16v nova very soon thanks to mc and cp :lol:

someone told me once that the astra gsi vents let out hot air from the engine, is this true?

i was thinking bonnet scoop and astra gsi vents, do these actually serve a purpose or just for show?

whats the difference between sr/gsi/gte seats?

which are the best ones to get?

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 12:38 AM
whats the difference between sr/gsi/gte seats?

nothing except the trim

so1o
22-06-03, 12:39 AM
nothing in the design, buckets or anything just trim eh?

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 12:49 AM
nothing in the design, buckets or anything just trim eh?

nope, just the trim down the centre of the seat, and perhaps difrent head rests in some models

brian
22-06-03, 09:16 PM
mk 1 would have the plastic head rests and mk 2 have the soft ones

so1o
22-06-03, 10:52 PM
someone told me once that the astra gsi vents let out hot air from the engine, is this true?

i was thinking bonnet scoop and astra gsi vents, do these actually serve a purpose or just for show?

dave.gsi
22-06-03, 10:58 PM
if you get proper cut in vents then they will let in air, stick on ones obv won't.

oh, and whats with the bold

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 11:11 PM
depending where you put them and in which direction. they can either force or induct cold air into the bay, or draw hot air out of it. astra gsi vents point sideways and at the angle they sit at, the air coming through the front with the rad, will come through the engine bay and out those vents.

also for that matter so will the astra gte mk2 vents, but turn them the wrong way round like i have done theyll force air in (not much mind LOL)

2litreturbo
22-06-03, 11:29 PM
if you get proper cut in vents then they will let in air, stick on ones obv won't.
bold

The key is in the name.

Bonnet scoops (like a subaru or GTi-R) let air into the engine. These are usually placed above the air intake or the intercooler to let cold air in.

Bonnet vents let air out. They face away from the direction of travel so that the fast air moving over the top has a lower pressure (bernouli's principle) so the hot air inside moves out thru the vent to try and equalise the pressure.

A bonnet scoop is only really any use if your air intake is directly under the scoop (like on 1.2 carbs etc.)

Otherwise, if your just trying to keep it cool then fit vents (like Astra GSi one).

Hope this helps!!!

www.purplenova.co.uk

dave.gsi
22-06-03, 11:36 PM
The key is in the name.

lost me..........called novaaaaaa, writes in bold

:?: :?: :?:

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 11:59 PM
The key is in the name.

lost me..........called novaaaaaa, writes in bold

:?: :?: :?:

he meant between bonnet scoops and bonnet vents :D

dave.gsi
23-06-03, 12:10 AM
ahhhhhhhh :lol: thought i was going a bit mad then lol

Tazzy
23-06-03, 01:36 AM
imo, i see bonnet vents in two catagories, cold air inlets and hot air outlets!

for example, the scooby scoop is more of a inlet, but the evo is more of a outlet, same goes for the astra mk2 and mk3 vents, i see them as more of outlet vents!

i could be chatting $h!t mind! lol

CP
23-06-03, 12:11 PM
Dont worry about unless you want em for looks.
You will be getting a cold air feed from the front of the car for the engine intake so you dont need to worry

mikeoxford
24-06-03, 12:22 AM
Dont worry about unless you want em for looks.
You will be getting a cold air feed from the front of the car for the engine intake so you dont need to worry

agreed

velos told me the same. even scoops dont do all that much according to them