PDA

View Full Version : biking injury

conad
01-05-11, 10:47 PM
as a few already know, i race downhill. whilst doing a few local runs for a bit of practice i thought it would be a good idea to clip a tree with my hand/bars and snap the knuckle off my index finger.... heres the video for all to see lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3uN3ck0f1c

and my next race is on saturday.. best get healing quick

Angus Closier
01-05-11, 10:50 PM
Owch......Couldnt be dealing with that...far too much like hard work to go and break somthing lol

conad
01-05-11, 10:53 PM
im always battered an bruised... all part of the fun lol

Mike
01-05-11, 10:53 PM
Has anyone ever told you your power ranger costume is properly awesome??

Angus Closier
01-05-11, 10:54 PM
im always battered an bruised... all part of the fun lol

Fairly good reason not to do it! lol

Well good luck getting that finger better for the next time you fancy breaking it! lol

Nah good luck in the next race.

conad
01-05-11, 10:55 PM
Has anyone ever told you your power ranger costume is properly awesome??

lol lol lol lol lol im the green 1!!

conad
01-05-11, 10:57 PM
Fairly good reason not to do it! lol

Well good luck getting that finger better for the next time you fancy breaking it! lol

Nah good luck in the next race.

cheers, its been 2 weeks now, so shouldn't be too bad by saturday

Yorkie
01-05-11, 10:58 PM
Wow! i was liek that looks liek so much fun i so wanna go ... then you fell and broke your finger and now im not so sure. Does look liek a fun hobby though

conad
01-05-11, 11:03 PM
Wow! i was liek that looks liek so much fun i so wanna go ... then you fell and broke your finger and now im not so sure. Does look liek a fun hobby though

once you ride a proper track, your hooked.... its bloody expensive though!!

heres 1 from a race last month, its from saturday practice so im not going too fast:( :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tBXbShwO3A&feature=related

Bubba
01-05-11, 11:06 PM
grrrr my youpoo wont load :(

Spudly
01-05-11, 11:10 PM

Till you try it yourself and realise just how fast you actually go, and how much control, effort and body movement is involved, im getting back into XC after double figures away from it and thats hard enough:eek:

ryansnova
01-05-11, 11:11 PM
love the kona mate :D

Yorkie
01-05-11, 11:12 PM
Ha ha when i was little as in like 8 years old i used to have a barbie bike and me and my friends would shove a crushed tin can under our mudflaps so when we cycled we sounded like moter bikes lol, and we used to cycle down hills and mounds soem where really steep!!! not quite the hills yours playing on though.

conad
01-05-11, 11:14 PM
Till you try it yourself and realise just how fast you actually go, and how much control, effort and body movement is involved, im getting back into XC after double figures away from it and thats hard enough:eek:

hit the nail on the head, videos just dont do it any justice, it looks better if you follow someone but then im stuck behind a slow guy lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDrgSoEiFTw

Dervy
02-05-11, 12:48 AM
can be very dangerous, i new a bloke that used to do downhill semi-pro until he was on a rather fast corse going stupidly quick, when he lost controle and went full pelt into the back of a transit van, as you could imagine he was pretty messed up.

grooge
02-05-11, 02:36 AM
nasty, ive done that before aswell but not badly enough to break a finger.

i clipped my hip off a tree racing last year though after getting a bad bounce off a root and the back popping out a couple inches. swole up instantly and could barely walk for a couple of days.

touch wood ive always been quite lucky, only other bad crash ive had in recent years i went head first into a tree and got concussion and a cracked helmet.
nothing in comparison to some you see on the trails, i'm sure you'll agree!

Yorkie
02-05-11, 08:39 AM
hmmmm im some what put off this potential hobby all of a sudden

Spudly
02-05-11, 10:28 AM
hmmmm im some what put off this potential hobby all of a sudden

Mountain biking is an awesome hobby, well its more like a way of life tbf, its not all downhilling, you could go for cross-country which will take in downhills at times but nothing as mental as some of the stuff youve seen in those clips though.

There will surely be a trails place near you as theyre everywhere these days, have a look into it as most places hire out bikes so you dont even need your own bike to give it a try:thumb:

conad
04-04-13, 12:22 PM
i've had a few more nasty injuries since this. im currently off work after an op to rebuild my shoulder after a crash lol

Benn
04-04-13, 01:27 PM
I almost ripped my little finger off going downhill riding in the Devils punch bowl. Broke it in two places, was my glove that saved it...

conad
04-04-13, 01:39 PM
I almost ripped my little finger off going downhill riding in the Devils punch bowl. Broke it in two places, was my glove that saved it...

was it your braking finger (no pun intended lol)

L14MNP
04-04-13, 02:25 PM
Mountain biking is an awesome hobby, well its more like a way of life tbf, its not all downhilling, you could go for cross-country which will take in downhills at times but nothing as mental as some of the stuff youve seen in those clips though.

There will surely be a trails place near you as theyre everywhere these days, have a look into it as most places hire out bikes so you dont even need your own bike to give it a try:thumb:

7 Staines FTW.

XC with a smidgen of DH is where it's at for me too. I'm always as Hamsterly Forest.
Even some of the blue routes are proper killers! lol

conad
04-04-13, 02:32 PM
7 staines is epic, did a few 2 years ago but nothing there is proper dh.... Ae was as close as it got lol

L14MNP
04-04-13, 02:35 PM
7 staines is epic, did a few 2 years ago but nothing there is proper dh.... Ae was as close as it got lol

It's enough for me! lol I enjoy Glentross.

Also, forgot to say, bad luck on the finger mate!
I'm on my phone, so just skipped through the video after you fell. I never saw you show the damage to the camera?

Cop out. lol

conad
04-04-13, 02:41 PM
glentress was an absolute killer, it never seemed to end lol

oh a broken finger is long forgotten now, ive had broken ribs, torn ligaments and more bruises than you can shake a stick at since lol time for a new hobby?

very true, i should of shown the camera. i even managed to carry on driving the uplift for the other riders.... mateLAD

L14MNP
04-04-13, 02:46 PM
glentress was an absolute killer, it never seemed to end lol

oh a broken finger is long forgotten now, ive had broken ribs, torn ligaments and more bruises than you can shake a stick at since lol time for a new hobby?

very true, i should of shown the camera. i even managed to carry on driving the uplift for the other riders.... mateLAD

Hero. Show us next time!

With those injuries, maybe you should start borrowing your money from the bank instead of dodgy Dave down the pub? lol

Glentress, that's it. I never remember the name.

I get seriously bad quadricep cramps after about 50 miles of XC. I remember being up Keilder once and it was pissing down, I was parked at the castle, and had lost the will to live at the other end of the resevoir. lol

Took the road back, still about 10 miles into a cray headwind and driving rain on flooded roads, and had to keep stopping or push/walk all of the time. When both cramp up at the same time, I thought I was gonna snap my brake levers as I stood there holding the bike. lol

Wish I could shake that off! Last big ride was about 60 miles, on some of the C2C, but again, had to call it a day before I was tired.

Any suggestions? :D

conad
04-04-13, 02:56 PM
I get seriously bad quadricep cramps after about 50 miles of XC. I remember being up Keilder once and it was pissing down, I was parked at the castle, and had lost the will to live at the other end of the resevoir. lol

Took the road back, still about 10 miles into a cray headwind and driving rain on flooded roads, and had to keep stopping or push/walk all of the time. When both cramp up at the same time, I thought I was gonna snap my brake levers as I stood there holding the bike. lol

Wish I could shake that off! Last big ride was about 60 miles, on some of the C2C, but again, had to call it a day before I was tired.

Any suggestions? :D

60 miles xc.... 60 fecking miles!!! i did a charity 65 miles of pure welsh mountain over 2 days and wanted to curl into a ball!

as for the cramps, i probably wont say anything you've already heard. stretch before hand, not just your quads as all surrounding musscles will be contributing. and have you tried any additives to your camelback e.i hydrators/salts?

L14MNP
04-04-13, 03:26 PM
60 miles xc.... 60 fecking miles!!! i did a charity 65 miles of pure welsh mountain over 2 days and wanted to curl into a ball!

as for the cramps, i probably wont say anything you've already heard. stretch before hand, not just your quads as all surrounding musscles will be contributing. and have you tried any additives to your camelback e.i hydrators/salts?

I'm not very fit lol, just XC allows a lot of chill-time as well I find. lol

I was putting some stuff in the Camelbak, whatever tabs Evans sell. Salts and electroylte stuff.
I noticed no difference, bar making my water taste awful. Will look into the stretching more. I can certainly improve in that area.

I have purposely left the roof bars on the car since last Saturday, so it tempts me to head out this weekend.
Haven't been bothering cos of the weather/being ill.

You DH boys seem to be out regardless!

Might put the funny shoes on and have a run out on my road bike instead. lol I am a noob to RB's, only been out on it once - then winter came.
Seems a good way to get some miles under your belt!

(**** all that pointy helmet, Lycra BS though!)

conad
04-04-13, 03:39 PM
I have purposely left the roof bars on the car since last Saturday, so it tempts me to head out this weekend.
Haven't been bothering cos of the weather/being ill.

You DH boys seem to be out regardless!

Might put the funny shoes on and have a run out on my road bike instead. lol I am a noob to RB's, only been out on it once - then winter came.
Seems a good way to get some miles under your belt!

(**** all that pointy helmet, Lycra BS though!)

funny you should say that about the weather.... i've dug out some more pics for ya lol
i'd love to get myself a road bike, but with 2 mikes already worth around £11k, a nova to restore, and saving for a house..... need i say any more lol

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/conad/334272_10151072244430546_923724000_o.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/conad/458649_10150770983995546_96272376_o.jpg

L14MNP
04-04-13, 03:48 PM
Amazing! Bet you always have a seat cover on! lol

conad
04-04-13, 03:57 PM
or go in someone elses van lol
i never go home in my riding gear anyways

L14MNP
04-04-13, 04:01 PM
Someone elses motor ftw. My mates into BMX'ing mostly, so his Caddy is a handy tool for that. Cars are sh!t. Especially if you put manky bikes inside. lol

Even when you take your riding gear off, I bet you're still filthy though, hands, face, stinking wet socks etc. lol

Benn
05-04-13, 06:57 PM
was it your braking finger (no pun intended lol)

No little finger, clipped a tree, hit the next one down. It bent my little finger almost 90o from the rest of my hand... Snapped my stem as well.

Spudly
05-04-13, 07:17 PM
Someone elses motor ftw. My mates into BMX'ing mostly, so his Caddy is a handy tool for that. Cars are sh!t. Especially if you put manky bikes inside. lol

Thats exactly the reason i bought my corsa c combo, seat covers left on in the front and shed loads of room in the back for bikes and kit no matter what condition its in :thumb:

wwmnw
06-04-13, 06:24 PM
Looks like fun and I've always been into bikes, best I've done is hamsterly though. I'll stick to rugby, no chance of hitting a hard tree at high speed there usually just big soft guts lol