PDA

View Full Version : Alarm for Transit van

djbrowney
01-05-11, 04:09 PM
I need to get and alarm fitted on my tranist.

But i need to be able to leave the van running with out the key in the ignition while i cut keys in the back.

The only way i can thing of doing it it is to buy an alarm with a built in turbo timer ???

Would i be able to wire something else up an any other way and buy a normal alarm :tard:

Much like the aa and rac van's ect ect

Adam
01-05-11, 04:17 PM
What engine? Not sure how engines are wired on a transit, but at a guess supplying the engine/ecu? ignition live from somewhere else other than the ignition switch would work?

djbrowney
01-05-11, 04:20 PM
It's an 08 SWB semi high top, 2.2 85ps buddy

MK999
01-05-11, 04:26 PM
Have you tried putting the warning light in upside down?

djbrowney
01-05-11, 04:27 PM
its not a nova haha

MK999
01-05-11, 04:30 PM
Should be able to fit a simple switch somewhere to turn ignition on, I'd suggest an electronic switch that uses a key (I got one from maplin), you can just fit it in parallel against the standard ignition switch, or bin off the standard entirely.

djbrowney
01-05-11, 04:33 PM
with the imboliser being in the key though would this not just kill the engine when i remove the key ???

MK999
01-05-11, 04:37 PM
with the imboliser being in the key though would this not just kill the engine when i remove the key ???

My alarm doesn't have an immobiliser chip in the key. It just puts a break in 3 circuits until you disarm it, runs unmarked cables that you cut into vital circuits, ignition live to ecu, fuel pump and starter motor are the usual top choices.

djbrowney
01-05-11, 04:40 PM
no this is if the alarm is not involved, if i put in a seprate switch to run the ecu you see the imboliser isnt present and kill the engine !

MK999
01-05-11, 04:42 PM
no this is if the alarm is not involved, if i put in a seprate switch to run the ecu you see the imboliser isnt present and kill the engine !

You disarm the alarm, hit your ignition switch, and go cut the keys in the back.

djbrowney
01-05-11, 04:45 PM
right lets get this straigh before it gets confusing lol

I want to leave the van running by removing the keys and putting them in my pocket, the alram dosnt come into the question.

Mazz
01-05-11, 05:01 PM
Could you not just use another key to lock the door? Maybe a steering lock/wheel clamp on too while your in the back?

djbrowney
01-05-11, 05:04 PM
no mate thats not possible

Damo
01-05-11, 05:15 PM
Im sure the new sprinters are wired in like that iirc when i worked for ATS there sprinters were wired in to the standard alarm system so when the keys were removed it kept running till the compressor switch was turned off.

MK999
01-05-11, 05:28 PM
right lets get this straigh before it gets confusing lol

I want to leave the van running by removing the keys and putting them in my pocket, the alram dosnt come into the question.

Which is exactly what I described will do!!

mowgli
01-05-11, 07:04 PM
so you need some sort of latching relay, or an alarm with remote start....is this so you can power an inverter to run the machinery?? why not just sort out some extra batteries on a split charge or a small generator?

djbrowney
01-05-11, 07:15 PM
so you need some sort of latching relay, or an alarm with remote start....is this so you can power an inverter to run the machinery?? why not just sort out some extra batteries on a split charge or a small generator?

yes i need to power an inverter. i have two batteries but with a 2000w inverter there not going to last long. A generator is out of the question i dont have enough room and i dont want to be running that outside people houses a 2am ect ect

all i want to do is run the van with out the key in the ignition :thumb:

mowgli
01-05-11, 07:20 PM
the power a transit alternator is going to make at tickover isn't going to be much above 500w.

a 2kw inverter needs 166A at 12v so i think you are maybe using something that will murder your charging circuit. get some leisure batteries (think caravan or boat shops) & a split charger

djbrowney
01-05-11, 07:42 PM
its got two batteries and a split charger, there isnt anymore room for differnt batteries. Im hoping the key cutter wont be using that many amps

L14MNP
04-05-11, 02:02 AM
If the factory immobiliser uses an RFID chip how about taping it to the pick up ring on the ignition switch then running the engine via a remote start alarm?

I'm not sure, but you may be able to get a bypass box for the Tranist so it doesn't have to be such a bodge! There will no doubt be better ways, but this will be cheap and do the job, if a little pikey! lol

Stuart
04-05-11, 09:45 AM
08 plate you say....... Let me have a look through some stuff I have and see if there is the functionality already in the PCM :)

might be a few days though.

djbrowney
04-05-11, 10:14 PM
you legend

Nice tits btw lol