PDA

View Full Version : Oil temp/pressure gauge

Iain
29-04-11, 08:16 PM
I fancy an oil temperature gauge to monitor my engine since I have removed the oil cooler and associated pipework

This one looks quite good, oil temperature and pressure gauge in one: http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/productdetails/?objid=130

Anyone have any recommendations/experiences with the above?

Adam
29-04-11, 08:49 PM
Cant go wrong with SPA gauges tbh.
Why remove the oil cooler?

mowgli
29-04-11, 08:56 PM
it looks a lot of coin, but if you want one to protect your investment (which i think is substantial) then it looks pretty good.

Iain
29-04-11, 09:04 PM
Removed the oil cooler just to help progress things and get it going, now I'm wondering if it's OK with it off and if it needs one!

Mowgli TBH the engine is burning so much oil I don't consider it a worthwhile investment at the moment lol But be handy for the future to have a good quality reliable guage :)

John
29-04-11, 09:09 PM
The last xe i had ran without an oil cooler and i never experienced problems?

mowgli
29-04-11, 09:10 PM
have you narrowed it down yet? is it rings or valve seals?

a chap was telling me something he learnt about american engines a long time ago.. they never oiled the rings on assembly in detroit, but oiled the shells. when they turned the engines over they apparently bedded in pretty quickly. yank engines last a very long time. the british always seemed to run their engines in when they rebuild them, yet we hire brand new cars & thrash merry hell out of them & they last for ages.... and heavy diesels get worked hard from day one with no ill effects.

Iain
29-04-11, 09:13 PM
No I haven't yet. Not sure what the compression test told me but I'm gonna try a leak down test while it's together I think, then rebuild a new head (that hasn't had as much taken off it) so I can use a standard head gasket.

John not saying there's a problem with mine but it just gets warmed up and thrashed then put away again so figured I'd keep an eye on it and see if it's happy :)

Damo
01-05-11, 11:23 AM
Just to add ive not run an oil cooler on mine for around 9months now and the temp guage only rises a little when you give it some stick othe than that no issues.

Adam
01-05-11, 04:19 PM
Id be running a cooler if you intend on it seeing a trackday or two.

Damo
01-05-11, 05:11 PM
Id be running a cooler if you intend on it seeing a trackday or two.

Oh yea i would definatly if is going to live on track but for everyday pottering about there not needed imo.