PDA

View Full Version : Tapping LET. What to try next?

dumpycorsa
29-04-11, 02:32 PM
Hi. Just helping getting a mates LET back up and running after a head gasket failure. It didn't tap until it was sat up for a couple of months. Basically we've replaced the head gasket and all the lifters and fitted a new oil pump and fresh 10/40 semi. Started it up last night and had it running for 15 mins but the lifters won't quieten down. Checked the oil pressure at the pump which is 2.5bar at tick over which rises to 4bar at 3k. What would you recommend trying next? We're thinking it could be a fault with the oil restrictor at the back of the block which controls flow to the head. Has anyone had an issue with these? Can you get to them without removing the head again? Will an oil flush help? Cheers in advance:thumb:

Spudly
29-04-11, 02:40 PM
If it was all alright before the build and has just been stood for a while then its probably just no oil in the tappets (at a guess) so i would be tempted to leave it on taickover for a bit longer than 15 minutes and it should fill itself back up and quieten down:thumb:

dumpycorsa
29-04-11, 02:54 PM
Right ok. It's just taking alot longer than I've known them to take and don't really want to damage a new set of lifters if theres a problem some where else. It did tap before the head gasket went but we put this down to the lifters as the were spongey when we removed them from the head (certainly alot worse than the new ones).

philip
29-04-11, 03:03 PM
you not seen the INA instructions for lifters i take it? lol they recommend revving the car to 4k for 5mins at a times about 5 or 6 times to get them to quieten down!:S. take the car for a drive, idling wont get the pressure up high enough on new lifters and they def wont quieten after only 15min at idle.

comptoncj
29-04-11, 03:04 PM
The lifters are always spongey when the oil drains back from them anyway, were the cam lobes ok? Well you know its got oil pressure is there oil on the cams? ( take off the oil filler cap and have a look) if so then the oil is coming up from the bottom, then i would suggest giving it a run up the road.

fastcar1cars
29-04-11, 03:07 PM
i left my c20xe unstarted for the winter and when i started it tapped and i had to drive it for 6 miles before it quitened down and stopped tapping! It been fine ever since

dumpycorsa
29-04-11, 03:21 PM
The car has been held at 2-3k for short periods of time but not 4k for 5 to 6 mins I must admit. I didn't realise they needed it tbh. We're popping back down there tonight so we'll give that a go. There is oil flowing up to the head and around the cams so they're not running dry. When inspecting the old lifters some had alot less resistance when squashed than others so we put this down to being worn thus replacing them.

philip
29-04-11, 04:11 PM
tbh until i opened the packaging to read it for a lads build all id of done is just took to the car for a drive for 10mile or so. just helps to get the oil hot/thin and get the prssure right up to quiet them down, but i did laugh at fact the INA instructions basically said just rev to 4k or so 5 or 6 times for 5mins at a time to go quiet or keep doing in until they go quiet haha