PDA

View Full Version : e16se turbo questions

moffat
28-04-11, 02:14 PM
been loking through old threads and also read the guide a few times but got stuck, right im doing mine the pikey way with standard managment but do i need the microswitch on std ECU as well as a rising rate fuel regulator? or one or the other.

also this is were i am so far;

spi manifold and t2 flange
t2 turbo
spacer plate
oil feed and return
sump modified
intercooler
pipework
engine rebuild parts
downpipe
boost switch or rising rate fuel regulator

anything ive missed?

also ive got a magnex exhaust system with 3 boxes will that be to restrictive on a turbo?

cheers in advance and +rep to anyone that can help

craig :thumb:

Green16v
28-04-11, 03:19 PM
I used a trick switch and fuel reg, I'm sure you need both when it comes to rolling road as all my setup was done with the fuel reg and the screw on the air flow meter. I'll ask my mate who helped me build it and get back to you. After it was setup it run well even went to the ring and back without any problems. Biggest problem was if you kill it for ages it shatters piston rings.

moffat
28-04-11, 03:24 PM
cheers fella. ur wip has been helpfull :thumb:

wheres the best place to get the trick switch from as i cant seem to find any?

mowgli
28-04-11, 03:33 PM
a microswitch from maplins should be fine.

Green16v
28-04-11, 03:43 PM
My switch came with a load of turbo spares I brought. If Mowgli is right above then your laughing. Let us know if you get the right switch. Try pm'ing Craig green on here he might know.

moffat
28-04-11, 03:52 PM
well if a microswitch from maplins works that be ideal. yeah ill pm CG and see what he says.

Edd
28-04-11, 03:56 PM
I have the part number for the switch that Courtenay used

It from RS electronics, same thing I'm sure, I'll dig it out

Think there about £10

moffat
28-04-11, 03:59 PM
cheers edd that be even better.

also read that a vernier pully is better for setting the timing.... that true?

mowgli
28-04-11, 04:00 PM
all you need is a micro switch with a roller on the end & something like a cam wheel fixed to the throttle shaft

AlexW
28-04-11, 04:33 PM
No.

The switch needs to be a pressured switched one (So a boost switched one), so when your on boost it opens and then wire it up to the TPS so it fools the ECU into thinking your on full throttle.

Some people say its not needed, but that is how courtney did theres and I can see the point as top end your be running a tad lean without IMO.

Bare in mind though, even with a rising rate FPR, You will overfuel on idle and off boost.

moffat
28-04-11, 04:51 PM
so the one edd is talking about be ideal then since thats what courtney used?

Green16v
28-04-11, 04:58 PM
Yes I used a vernier pulley aswell

bazil
28-04-11, 05:26 PM
Oil filter relocation kit,

moffat
28-04-11, 05:49 PM
i always forget something lol. aye deffo need an oil filter relocation kit

craig green
28-04-11, 08:03 PM
Your shopping list should be;

Exhaust manifold to suit a turbocharger.
Suitable sized turbo w/wastegate for your engine/power expectations.
Laser cut S/S decomp spacer.
bespoke exhaust downpipe to mate with chosen exhaust system.
Front mount intercooler or charge cooler (consider pipe routing & inlet/TB position etc)
Cone style airfilter & ducting for AFM to turbo.
Selection of silicone boost pipes/reducers/joiners/bends etc
MOCAL oil filter relocation kit (filter head & take off) + unions & oil hose.
R/R FPR of good quality.
Oil line & fittings to create a take off from eng oil pump.
Barbed union to create oil return into sump.

The rest should just be clips, pipes & other typical garage sundries. The pressure switch used by Courtenay isnt essential. Many engines are boosted without this method incl other Bosch Jetronic engines. I wouldnt bother, my C16XE was just as happy with or without it wired in.
The TB will want its edge knurled or similar to keep the boost hoses from blowing off & the breather on the rocker cover needs routing to the inlet & blanking off from its previous feed on the TB
Aim for 6 or 7psi rated wastegate actuator & you will be surprised at what effect this has on what is otherwise a pretty lame engine.

moffat
28-04-11, 08:42 PM
Cheers for the reply craig. Got all the info i need now. Cheers to everyone that answered