PDA

View Full Version : My house is covered in Jack

Hayley
28-04-11, 01:08 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215924_10150167994757971_617982970_6707044_749973_ n.jpg

lollol So im ready for the wedding! going over to our towns park for a big screen and picnic tomorrow morning. (Jack being dragged coz he is a communist)

Whats everyone else doing?

tony k
28-04-11, 01:10 PM
im getting drunk going to see jimmy car later on that day,thats if i still got vision then lol

L14MNP
28-04-11, 01:13 PM
Whats everyone else doing?

Already paying for those unrequired, outdated parasites big day once, so not spending even more money on bunting, mugs, flags and door mats, let alone time watching the pointless nuptials... and you thought Jack didn't like it. lol

Jack
28-04-11, 01:16 PM
Up the proletariat!

Stuart
28-04-11, 01:16 PM
The bint wants to watch it on TV, I shall be playing with the Unix server to get video streaming working lol.

I dont hate the RF etc I think its nice the country has something to be happy about, and the fact it will bring a lot of cash into the country (hopefully more than the policing costs, the rest of the cost is covered already in our £1 a year per person lol)

L14MNP
28-04-11, 01:18 PM
I await the EDL muppets and their 'ring of steel'. Something tells me that most of the action may be outside of the church. lol

Hayley
28-04-11, 01:19 PM
Already paying for those unrequired, outdated parasites big day once, so not spending even more money on bunting, mugs, flags and door mats, let alone time watching the pointless nuptials... and you thought Jack didn't like it. lol

WOW. thats some strong feelings therelol

I shall rephrase my question to "what is everyone that likes the royal family doing?"

mowgli
28-04-11, 01:20 PM
i'll hopefully be doing stuff on my nova.....the wife & kids are watching it all.....i can't stand watching weddings at the best of times, but i'm more than happy to see the national pride with all the flags etc, as opposed to brits (especially the english) being embarassed to show their flags

for what the royals cost, which is actually pretty much zero, i'm happy to have them about.. if we had an elected head of state, like america, it would be pretty crap with all the electioneering.. & would cost billions in extra security, as a president is way more likely to get shot than a royal is..
and royal visits are great, cos our local council paints things before they turn up so everywhere looks nicer.

the EDL can sod off too. they are a loud waste of time, and wouldn't be able to tell the difference between national pride & mothers pride (they probably don't buy it cos they think 'thick cut' is an insult)

Jack
28-04-11, 01:21 PM
They are good for tourism, granted. Plus it will be ace to see a JFK shot from the local taliban lol

The other thing is to see what acts/bills etc are being pushed through parliament at the mo whilst everyone's attention is diverted

L14MNP
28-04-11, 01:31 PM
I do like the national pride, which I agree this country is very short on. I didlike the fact however that I have to consider myself British, and that the St George's Cross is now primarily associated with racists and violence.

I find it amusing how the rest of the civilised world seems to see us as some close knit little nation who are happy when the royal family are and sad when they are not.

FFS. We don't live in a fairytale. lol

mowgli
28-04-11, 01:40 PM
limp, it is pure jealousy.. we have the most famous royal family in the world.. the current lot are incredibly law abiding & hard working when compared to all the jobshy inbreds from before queen victorias time.... and the foreign media go crazy for them... there has even been a film of wills & kate the early years ffs...

let them have their big day, it keeps some of the country happy, and the rest can do some gardening.

MK999
28-04-11, 01:42 PM
I find it amusing how the rest of the civilised world seems to see us as some close knit little nation who are happy when the royal family are and sad when they are not.

Apparently the most commonly asked question for my mate who went travelling around the US was "Have you met the queen?" lol

I will be doing what is required to get the nova through the MOT and some uni revision :thumb:

Apparently someone I don't know is getting married though? All I know is I got a day off for it :d

Hoochie
28-04-11, 01:42 PM
Not a Royal fan at all, It may well be on in our house but i doubt very much i'll be watching it.
Yes they generate a lot of money, but they also cost a whole lot to keep...epsecially the ones who do not do anything at all to contribute to their lavish lifestyles... :)

mowgli
28-04-11, 01:45 PM
Not a Royal fan at all, It may well be on in our house but i doubt very much i'll be watching it.
Yes they generate a lot of money, but they also cost a whole lot to keep...epsecially the ones who do not do anything at all to contribute to their lavish lifestyles... :)

and who would they be??? all the major royals do tons.. the junior ones are usually in paid jobs, i can't imagine william or harry would want to shirk their roles in the military

Hobbit
28-04-11, 01:47 PM
Dairy cows dont seem up for taking a day off so I'm working tomorrow but I get a lieu day so not all bad.

Tanya.
28-04-11, 01:48 PM
I don't plan on watching it, I can think of better things to be doing then watching 2 people I don't personally know getting married :)

brainsnova
28-04-11, 02:21 PM
Who cares if they are getting married I'll be going about my normal business

mowgli
28-04-11, 02:37 PM
about 60% of the population actually.

brainsnova
28-04-11, 02:50 PM
Most end in divorce

Hoochie
28-04-11, 03:04 PM
Most end in divorce

To be fair, as far as the royals go, these two i think will last a long time, Kate is going into this with her feet firmly on the ground and eyes wide open, she is far more prepared for her role as a royal than others.
Wills has turned out a decent young man, very grounded, thanks to his mother giving him and his brother a "normal" childhood.

Grey
28-04-11, 03:13 PM
im hopeing the roads will be quiet even though i will be in scotland tomorrow we will see .... will be going through some village and either have cake launched at astra or a pot of tea to drink :d not really botherd wedding is a wedding the only diffrence is they have more wedge. :p

Jeff16v
28-04-11, 03:48 PM
Yay, we are having a street party, never had one of those, i'd rather be working on the car, might be a chance to perv at the neighbours up closelol

mowgli
28-04-11, 04:06 PM
we had one of those in '77. the country stopped for the queens silver jubilee... it was the first time i was drunk, the first time my brother was sick because of drink. we were 9 & 10 respectively...... we also put gin in our neighbours chicken's water tub & the hens couldn't walk straight..... such innocent pleasures.....

Andy
28-04-11, 04:13 PM
I'll be going to the gym.
No street parties in the village that im aware of,would go to one though,although purely withj business in mind to drum up more work.

Jack
28-04-11, 04:32 PM
might be a chance to perv at the neighbours up closelol
lol don't forget your camera to, er, "record the occasion" lol

i can't imagine william or harry would want to shirk their roles in the military
This is true, Will is/was on a SAR flight and hewitt's spawn has been on front line in afghan, although I doubt they will have been put directly in harms way

Jeff16v
28-04-11, 04:50 PM
lol don't forget your camera to, er, "record the occasion" lol

Will do capt Jack:thumb:

Hayley
28-04-11, 05:41 PM
well im really excited as you can prob tell. But then i love the royals and i do kinda wish we were more like the yanks in the way they have their flags everywhere etc. . . Not sure about crying at the national anthem tho. Ha ha

Hobbit
28-04-11, 05:45 PM
we had one of those in '77

1877? :confused:

lol

mowgli
28-04-11, 06:34 PM
1877? :confused:

lol

i will get my revenge on you.... i'm stopping eating pasties & clotted cream for a start

Lynsey
28-04-11, 06:45 PM
Until last week the was ''No chance I'm watching that ****e, I'll have the day off work though, thanks!'', then I woke up last Friday morning and felt all excited about it and I've remained that way since. I think it's because they're young and it's not too hard to relate to them as they're quite normal. Tomorrow I'm up early to drive Norf to watch it at my Sister's house. I'm not that sad, I was actually going anyway as I have an engine to drop off. Then we will have cucumber sandwiches, earl grey tea and some scones and cream :p

Then I'm hoping to squeeze a double bed frame into the back of the Belmont, no idea whether it'll be a success but hey ho!

To those of you watching, enjoy it :thumb: and to those not, enjoy your extra time off work :) and to those working... Ner ner!! :p

Hobbit
28-04-11, 06:56 PM
i will get my revenge on you.... i'm stopping eating pasties & clotted cream for a start

Thats fine, as long as you keep eating cheese :d

mk1nova_rich
28-04-11, 06:58 PM
I will be up in sunny Scotland setting up a rally stage for the Pirelli International so will miss the whole lot. Can't say I'm overly bothered, the excessive media hype has put me right off

88ESR
28-04-11, 07:18 PM
I'll be at work (power stations don't close for anyone, not even royalty)..

I'll get the time back plus an extra payment..

What nice folk, William and co....

draper
28-04-11, 08:01 PM
i shall be going to the pub for the day

because its friday

and im still suspended on full pay lol

MK999
28-04-11, 08:34 PM
and im still suspended on full pay lol

Free holiday?! Sign me up!

Jack
28-04-11, 09:10 PM
Pfft, just get cancer. 6 months holiday on full pay lol

I'm about due another 6 months off actually lol

Spudly
28-04-11, 09:18 PM

You can fook off if youre thinking of playing that game again matey, my nerves cant handle it:p

blue_peg_16v
28-04-11, 09:21 PM
im working all day thank christ

db_1.2
28-04-11, 10:30 PM
I'm working, mortgage to pay n all that. Personally, I wouldn't watch it if it was the only thing on. But I'm like that! :)

AdamK
28-04-11, 10:33 PM
wouldnt have anything to do with it if you paid me there all inbred Nazi's anyway

Tanya.
28-04-11, 11:29 PM

Or pregnant... 9 months off :thumb:lol

Jack
29-04-11, 12:01 AM
I'd be a bit more worried if I was pregnant lol

wwmnw
29-04-11, 12:20 AM
I'll only be watching to see if anyone does get killed tbh. Hopefully not her though as shes hot.

Who's putting bets on she ends up like Diana in a few years?

bazil
29-04-11, 12:21 AM
Na, shell never drive a RS Turbo lol

wwmnw
29-04-11, 12:23 AM
lol

bazil
29-04-11, 12:23 AM
I'd be a bit more worried if I was pregnant lol

you'd be worth a fcuking fortune to medical science though lol

Connor
29-04-11, 01:40 AM
I shall be heading down to brands hatch to set up my tent for the race weekend i'm spannering for a mate in

Tanya.
29-04-11, 09:35 AM
you'd be worth a fcuking fortune to medical science though lol

Exacerly!! lol 9 months off of work and then fortunes from being the first man pregnant...so you probably wouldn't have to work for a while....win :thumb:lol

mowgli
29-04-11, 09:42 AM
Exacerly!! lol 9 months off of work and then fortunes from being the first man pregnant...so you probably wouldn't have to work for a while....win :thumb:lol

that lesbian with a good lawyer that had her knockers removed & birth certificate legally altered in america has already beaten jack to it....

Tanya.
29-04-11, 10:03 AM
that lesbian with a good lawyer that had her knockers removed & birth certificate legally altered in america has already beaten jack to it....

Boo...surely he'd be worth something though for being the first man, actually born a man to be pregnant?!

draper
29-04-11, 01:23 PM
Free holiday?! Sign me up!

yeah, today is the 16th paid shift i havent been at work - and im bored silly lol

L14MNP
29-04-11, 01:38 PM
No-one else been pedantic enough to mention to Hayley that the flag is only known as the Union Jack when it is flying on a ship? :/ lol

Spudly
29-04-11, 01:39 PM
We knew you would Liamp lol

Really?

Yup its actually the Union Flag:p

wwmnw
29-04-11, 01:39 PM
No-one else been pedantic enough to mention to Hayley that the flag is only known as the Union Jack when it is flying on a ship? :/ lol

Really?

L14MNP
29-04-11, 01:40 PM
:d lol

Spudly
29-04-11, 01:41 PM
According to the 'wiki substitute' i call my mummy.....

It is only known as the 'Union Jack' when it is flown from the 'Jackstaff' of a ship :d

wwmnw
29-04-11, 01:43 PM
The size and power of the Royal Navy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy) internationally at the time could also explain why the flag was named the "Union Jack"; considering the navy was so widely utilised and renowned by the United Kingdom and colonies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire), it is possible that the term "Jack" occurred because of its regular use on all British ships using the "Jack Staff" (a flag pole attached to the bow of a ship). Even if the term "Union Jack" does derive from the jack flag (as perhaps seems most likely), after three centuries, it is now sanctioned by use, has appeared in official use, and remains the popular term.[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag#cite_note-Flagsofworld-9) Members of the Royal Navy only refer to the flag as the Union Jack when it is flying on their ships, commonly phrased as 'at sea'. Even the same flag, before it is flying will be called the Union Flag.

Kinda true then.

L14MNP
29-04-11, 01:43 PM
The book of lies is always a good source. lol :thumb:

mowgli
29-04-11, 02:08 PM
so three snobbs vs 65 odd million brits... theres only one way to sort this out.....

Spudly
29-04-11, 02:09 PM
so three snobbs vs 65 odd million brits... theres only one way to sort this out.....

Eh...?

If youre referring to me then you should already know i could never be a snob:p

wwmnw
29-04-11, 02:10 PM
One hopes Mowgli isn't calling one a snob.

mowgli
29-04-11, 02:13 PM
there are a great many things in this sceptred isle that the general public believe to be true, only for someone with a dusty encyclopaedia the say...well strictly speaking, you are wrong...its the basis for QI.. and also how after a few years, my view that the spice girls was crap was proven right

Spudly
29-04-11, 02:15 PM
there are a great many things in this sceptred isle that the general public believe to be true, only for someone with a dusty encyclopaedia the say...well strictly speaking, you are wrong...its the basis for QI.. and also how after a few years, my view that the spice girls was crap was proven right

For a reply that says a lot, that says nothing at all:tard:

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:15 PM
http://bighugelabs.com/output/motivatorb6b59c1ed3d8de2bbe6c8d108b1fe74c082f011c. jpg

mowgli
29-04-11, 02:17 PM
ok spud. i'll reword it. 65 million odd british people still call them union jacks.. they must have got the idea from somewhere. ok, it might be wrong, but thats how it is

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:18 PM
ok spud. i'll reword it. 65 million odd british people still call them union jacks.. they must have got the idea from somewhere. ok, it might be wrong, but thats how it is

Those people are idiots though. Word it anyway you want.

mowgli
29-04-11, 02:20 PM
it must feel great being you, knowing that all those people enjoying themselves today aren't calling their flags by the right name....

wwmnw
29-04-11, 02:22 PM
it must feel great being you, knowing that all those people enjoying themselves today aren't calling their flags by the right name....

lol

I've always called it the Union Jack too.

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:22 PM

lol I bet loads are flying upside down, or poor immitations too. It makes me blood run cold.

Spudly
29-04-11, 02:26 PM
lol I bet loads are flying upside down, or poor immitations too. It makes me blood run cold.

Exactly, thats one thing my dad always gets wound up about, flying them upside down, considering some people in this thread were earlier making comments about being proud to be british and all that malarky, you wouldve thought they would care about using the correct name for the United Kingdom's National Flag, and ensuring it is flown correctly.

Surely if there was a sign somewhere that proudly proclaimed 'Welcome to Britean' and was hung upside down, you would want to comment on this yes?

mowgli
29-04-11, 02:29 PM
i just bothered to read the wiki & a few other pages on the subject.....

the term union jack is officially recognised by the british government as the name for the flag and has been since 1908...

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:29 PM
Surely if there was a sign somewhere that proudly proclaimed 'Welcome to Britean' and was hung upside down, you would want to comment on this yes?

If there was it wouldn't be there long enough to notice before some mixed accent chap tipped up in a Transit van with highway agency hi-viz on the back and an orange light on the roof to remove it. 'No no w're takin it away to be fixed boss.' lol

Tanya.
29-04-11, 02:30 PM
Exactly, thats one thing my dad always gets wound up about, flying them upside down, considering some people in this thread were earlier making comments about being proud to be british and all that malarky, you wouldve thought they would care about using the correct name for the United Kingdom's National Flag, and ensuring it is flown correctly.

I'm sure there's some sort of law about hanging them upside down and that it's really disrespectful... or i'm just making it up lol

Spudly
29-04-11, 02:32 PM
I'm sure there's some sort of law about hanging them upside down and that it's really disrespectful... or i'm just making it up lol

Its a means of signalling distress when at sea apparently:thumb:

Tanya.
29-04-11, 02:33 PM

After a quick google, I found the same. I never knew that! I knew there was something about having it upside down though. :thumb:

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:33 PM
i just bothered to read the wiki & a few other pages on the subject.....

the term union jack is officially recognised by the british government as the name for the flag and has been since 1908...

Fair do's. That's not what I was taught though. Given that 1908 was fairy recent in terms of the flag, and that it was used from 1606 I think it it more likely that the general public never adopted the correct offiical term in the first place.

Don't get so wound up. lol

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:36 PM

Guess sailors needed to have good eyesight then!

A sinking ship is a better distress signal IMO. Nothing lost in translation then. Seeing the UJ upside down may have some thinking that seaman Staines had the audacity to wipe his mucky hands on a jubilee tea towel or the like. lol If they could even spot the difference in the first place!

Spudly
29-04-11, 02:36 PM
FLOL @ you Limp ffs lol

Although you do have a valid point, noone will have sailed past the titanic at about 1am and thought well her ass end is in the air and she looks like she is going down, but the flags are all the right way up so she must be fine lol

Hoochie
29-04-11, 02:40 PM
See...i've sat in front of this " discussion" for far longer than i seen the wedding, much more entertaining by far, and i don't have a union flag jack in sight.......just me brew!!!

crack on boys...it's great!.....:thumb:lol:d

Tanya.
29-04-11, 02:40 PM
FLOL @ you Limp ffs lol

Although you do have a valid point, noone will have sailed past the titanic at about 1am and thought well her ass end is in the air and she looks like she is going down, but the flags are all the right way up so she must be fine lol

lol They might of thought it was publicity and everything was under control and fine lol

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:45 PM
FLOL @ you Limp ffs lol

LMAO!

Had they turned the flag on the Mary Celeste upside down when 'sh!t kicked off' then other passing sailors may have intervened as the UFO beamed the crew up/sea monster devoured them etc etc.

Lives could have been saved by simply following protocol! lol

mowgli
29-04-11, 02:47 PM
FLOL @ you Limp ffs lol

the titanic was not allowed to fly the union flag/jack. it was not a military ship.
[/URL]
http://www.nava.org/Flag%20Information/articles/Titantic/titani5.jpg
it was allowed the blue ensign because a lot of its senior crew were former navy men.. it would have been hard to get it upside down though....[URL="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Civil_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg"] (http://www.pngclub.com/wiki/File:Civil_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg)

wwmnw
29-04-11, 02:49 PM
LMAO!

Had they turned the flag on the Mary Celeste upside down when 'sh!t kicked off' then other passing sailors may have intervened as the UFO beamed the crew up/sea monster devoured them etc etc.

Lives could have been saved by simply following protocol! lol

Ahh the St Mary Celeste, I've got a little obsession with that and other mysteries like it lol

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:54 PM
the titanic was not allowed to fly the union flag/jack. it was not a military ship.
[/URL]
http://www.nava.org/Flag%20Information/articles/Titantic/titani5.jpg
it was allowed the blue ensign because a lot of its senior crew were former navy men.. it would have been hard to get it upside down though....[URL="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Civil_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg"] (http://www.pngclub.com/wiki/File:Civil_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg)

When the 'Union Jack' was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as 'the British flag' or 'the flag of Britain', and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

^ That seems to say that all ships were eleigible.

Although the Titanic should have had no Ensign flag flying anyway once at sea.

L14MNP
29-04-11, 02:54 PM
Ahh the St Mary Celeste, I've got a little obsession with that and other mysteries like it lol

Aye, same. I love all that carry on. :cool:

Jack
29-04-11, 03:50 PM
Guess sailors needed to have good eyesight then!

A sinking ship is a better distress signal IMO. Nothing lost in translation then. Seeing the UJ upside down may have some thinking that seaman Staines had the audacity to wipe his mucky hands on a jubilee tea towel or the like. lol If they could even spot the difference in the first place!
Wrong end of the stick. The crew of a captured ship would often be conscripted temporarily into the service of the occupying nation. Of course a sneaky way to get within firing range and spring a suprise on other ships of the same flag would be to retain their colours; hence flying the flag the wrong way round would be spotted by a sharp eyed sailor as an indication to something being amiss. :thumb:

Hayley
29-04-11, 04:26 PM
I just made a play on words.......

coz my boyfriend is called Jack!

House full of Jack... get it? badum tsh. lollollol

but I didnt know all that gubbins about the union flag/jack boaty thingy so cheers for the lessons