PDA

View Full Version : Nova C20xe suspension choice...

Mucker_TD
27-04-11, 04:04 PM
I'm thinking of replacing the suspension on my XE'd nova.

I want to lower it around 50mm from stock height and have been offered a brand-new set of GMax supersport shock+spring suspension kit.

Do any of you guys recommend or rate this kit fitted to an XE nova (bearing in mind the weight on the front)?

Any replies much appreciated

Iain
27-04-11, 04:21 PM
One of the cheaper kits available, suspect the springs on the front aren't designed for XE weight but have not used it myself.

Coilovers are the way forward depending on your budget IMO.

Gareth_C
27-04-11, 05:28 PM
I would recommend holding out for coilovers unless you can get a hold of the kit that courtney used to do for the xe conversion ( ithink they were bilsteins)

Plug
27-04-11, 05:47 PM
bilsteins if you want shock and spring setup or coilovers if you can afford them

Andy
27-04-11, 05:51 PM
Standard shocks with cutdown springs ftw

mowgli
27-04-11, 05:55 PM
/\ hardcore as ever andy

mk1nova_rich
27-04-11, 06:01 PM
Coilovers aren't the be all and end all...cheap coilovers are usually naff. You can't ever go wrong with Bilsteins with XE-rated Eibach springs

Andy
27-04-11, 06:07 PM
take it from me,cheap coilovers are far more hassle than theyre worth.I seriously would rather have standard springs and dampers than them cheap shyte yellow fk coilies,they want condemning!

fastcar1cars
27-04-11, 06:39 PM
ive got gmax shocks with propper 300lb springs and they arnt bad!

John
27-04-11, 07:01 PM
I would go for big piston yellow billies, and some coilsprings89 -50mm xe custom springs. I had this set up on an old nova of mine and loved it.
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/6327/S8000015.jpg

Jack
27-04-11, 10:34 PM
take it from me,cheap coilovers are far more hassle than theyre worth.I seriously would rather have standard springs and dampers than them cheap shyte yellow fk coilies,they want condemning!
Very much so.

I ran Koni adjustable dampers with PVD springs (old skool lol) when I had the XE in the saloon. Handled the weight nicely and went round corners without a problem.

Mucker_TD
28-04-11, 10:09 AM
cheers for the repllies as usual, i currently have a set of GAZ adjustable height and damping coilovers fitted but dont like the ride quality, and the height is set about 50mm all round.

i have noticed on the front there is only one spring fitted either side at the front whereas im guessing there should be helper springs fitted aswell as the existing springs? could this be the result of shocking ride quality?

Iain
28-04-11, 10:10 AM
Nah wouldn't worry about the lack of helper spring.

Play with the damping settings and get some suitable poundage springs for them and it should improve. Assume they're not bottoming out due to lack of travel too?

Mucker_TD
28-04-11, 10:32 AM
Ok cheers, but how do i find out the poundage of my current springs? also which poundage of springs are recommended and where do i get them from?

Iain
28-04-11, 10:49 AM
Not sure about finding out the current poundages unless it's stamped on the flat end of the springs.

I see recommendations of 300lb on the front of an XE Nova but haven't tried a variety myself so are in no position to recommend, I fitted 325lb to the front of mine and put the damping right down low and so far I'm enjoying how it behaves.

Think the fronts are 2.25" springs which can be bought off the shelf from RallyDesign, Demon Tweeks, Merlin Motorsport, etc.

blue_peg_16v
28-04-11, 11:18 AM
i like the ways koni handle on an xe with decent springs