PDA

View Full Version : Worst month ever

vauxluva
27-04-11, 09:24 AM
Ok so deep breath rite decided to go down the bike carb/e16se route as you now from older posts bought the bottom end+f16cr box for £150. Then bought bought a e16se head off tom read for £50.built it up with the 1.4 peirburg carb just for now. then did around 45 miles it decided to drop 2 pistons pix follow. So i took it to bits and removed pistons (see pix) bought two for £58 each and put them in the block (no bore wear) rebult her did 170 sound miles and the bottom end started knocking i was gutted so i kept my chin up and put the 1.4nv back in with the f10 took her out and snapet my cam in half picks to prove plus two valves and a cam follower see pix....................help.
http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/ad99/vauxluva/ sorry they are not in order

vauxluva
27-04-11, 05:59 PM
Any one else broken a cam in half before?

mk1nova_rich
27-04-11, 06:03 PM
Nope. You must have some patience old lad cos i'd have smashed the lot up and wheeled it down to scrappers

Spudly
27-04-11, 06:03 PM
Yup my mate snapped the cam in his GTE, inbetween 2 & 3 doing about 25mph round a corner, whipped the cam out (once we had figured out what it was) fitted a kent cam and off it went again:thumb:

vauxluva
27-04-11, 06:07 PM
Nope. You must have some patience old lad cos i'd have smashed the lot up and wheeled it down to scrappers
Tell me about i have E16SE lump sat in a wheel barrow with 2 new pistons and shells witch is buggered.

vauxluva
27-04-11, 06:08 PM
Yup my mate snapped the cam in his GTE, inbetween 2 & 3 doing about 25mph round a corner, whipped the cam out (once we had figured out what it was) fitted a kent cam and off it went again:thumb:
Do you mean it snapped again?

Spudly
27-04-11, 06:09 PM
No i mean off it went again, good as new:thumb:

vauxluva
27-04-11, 06:11 PM
Mine seems to be fine with another cam+ carrier. Except it could either do with valve stem seals or the maybee rings are worn?(TAD OF BLUE)

Andy
27-04-11, 06:14 PM
do a compression test and or drop a little oil into the bores

vauxluva
27-04-11, 06:20 PM
do a compression test and or drop a little oil into the bores
What compression should i be getting on a 1.4nv(sr)

tommy8252
27-04-11, 06:21 PM
Similar to me, first e16se rear crank seal went, new engine purchased for 225 notes,in for two weeks and the rings have gone. Hopefully should be purchasing block no3, picking it up and fitting it over this long weekend and at the same time fitting twin 40s. Also got a road trip to Germany in 3 weeks time so the car also needs rolling road setup before that. I am at the point where I wanna give up but my ego won't let me so I just keep ploughing on.

vauxluva
27-04-11, 06:21 PM
Why drop oil in the bores??

vauxluva
27-04-11, 06:23 PM
Similar to me, first e16se rear crank seal went, new engine purchased for 225 notes in two weeks and rings have gone. Hopefully should be purchasing block no3, picking it up and fitting it over this long weekend and at the same time fitting twin 40s. Also got a road trip to Germany in 3 weeks time so the car also needs rolling road setup before that.
Anoying is not the word have some rep.

tommy8252
27-04-11, 06:31 PM
Thank-you very much lol I also have a young son and a girlfriend who's complaining I don't spend enough time with them cos I'm always messing with the car.

vauxluva
27-04-11, 06:36 PM
Thank-you very much lol I also have a young son and a girlfriend who's complaining I don't spend enough time with them cos I'm always messing with the car.
haha snap my lil girl has taken to wanting to fix the car just so im with her the missus..............thats a diferent issue.

tommy8252
27-04-11, 06:39 PM
Lol I have pictures of my lad under my bonnet, come to think of it that was just before I started having problems with the car, hmmm :wtf: lol

vauxluva
27-04-11, 06:43 PM
Lol I have pictures of my lad under my bonnet, come to think of it that was just before I started having problems with the car, hmmm :wtf: lol Oil cap off 10mm bolt in, cap back on there you go dad its fixed. haha

gunny
27-04-11, 06:56 PM
Had my first SR nova on the road 2 days when the piston rings went, put a 1400 in it, wouldnt start, towed it to start it, loud crashes and bangs from engine and box and off it went down the scrappy... smashed up :)

Got more patiance than me pal fair play to you. I struggle with temper too i couldnt cope in your shoes lol

vauxluva
27-04-11, 07:03 PM
Its my ego. I enjoy the fact of when you repair something it works its sad i no. This is the only car/thing that has gone wrong over and over. I wont let it beat me.

Balley
27-04-11, 07:31 PM
My Td engine mount bolts broke last year, removed the engine. Fitted a new front pannel, new out riggers and seem welded it, painted engine up refitted. 2 days later head gasket went, skimmed head and refitted 2 days later head gasket went and hoses were blowing off :(
turned out to be a ****ed block! this just about killed me !

Took 4 mounths before I could happily work on it again. I fitted a new engine now 9 mounths later it been on the road 3 weeks and seems to be Good :)

TeddyThom
27-04-11, 09:17 PM
My Td engine mount bolts broke last year, removed the engine. Fitted a new front pannel, new out riggers and seem welded it, painted engine up refitted. 2 days later head gasket went, skimmed head and refitted 2 days later head gasket went and hoses were blowing off :(
turned out to be a ****ed block! this just about killed me !

Took 4 mounths before I could happily work on it again. I fitted a new engine now 9 mounths later it been on the road 3 weeks and seems to be Good :)

You've jinxed it now lol

Speaking of rattles and knocks and bangs etc, I have a question, my bottom end used to rattle around like there was something proper loose. Cam belt end. To the point where it has sheared my crankshaft sprocket and bottom pulley again. Anyone got any ideas on what caused it?? I'm not too worried, I've got a new nova now, but curiousity as to what the masses think has led to me asking.

AndyGTE95
27-04-11, 10:25 PM
never saw a cam snap on a nova but on the 1,2 corsa c it is acctually quite a common problem with cams snapping !

they snap at a certian place so it only runs on 3 cylinders, so you think its a coil pack or something until you take the rocker cover off lol

my dad has saw quite a few of them in his garage :thumb:

tommy8252
27-04-11, 10:31 PM
Drove in to a big puddle in a mk3 astra, had to push it out, restarted it and it started immediately revved it to blow water out of the exhaust all seemed fine, drove it 30 miles up the road and then my cam snapped. Was really surprised when I stripped it down as I thought it would have done it immediately.

Lewis.
27-04-11, 11:03 PM
never saw a cam snap on a nova but on the 1,2 corsa c it is acctually quite a common problem with cams snapping !

they snap at a certian place so it only runs on 3 cylinders, so you think its a coil pack or something until you take the rocker cover off lol

my dad has saw quite a few of them in his garage :thumb:

we have this a lot at work too, it seems that all the late vaux 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 engines do it. its because the cam caps work lose, and they usually snap the end 2 lobes of the exhaust cam, so like you say it runs on 3 and you start looking at coil packs lol luckily those lobes are right under the oil filler cap so its easy to see, but you never usually think to look