PDA

View Full Version : Astra Mk4 Issues

Matt
25-04-11, 12:40 AM
Hi,

Looking for some suggestions for what may be causing some issues with my Astra.

Firstly, on longer journeys the OS front caliper and disk get very hot (to the point of smoking)! I'm pretty sure this is due to the caliper not releasing properly and I can feel resistance as if under braking when I let the car free wheel. I also feel the disk may be warped slightly and gets worse on longer journerys due to the heat. This would explain why the car is fine during daily use around town but has problems on long distance.

Any other suggestions to what may be causing this?

Secondly, at higher speeds, there are preiods where I get a lot of vibration from the OS front wheel. I'm thinking this is likely to be related to the brakes issue however the car could probably benefit from having the wheels balanced and aligned after having new tyres fitted not so long ago. Would this be enough to cause pretty serious vibration?

Any other suggestions for what could cause similar effects?

The car is going for its MOT this week so would like to get these issues sorted at the same time.

Cheers.

Matt
25-04-11, 12:43 AM
P.S. I apologise for this being about a boring old Astra!

AlexW
25-04-11, 12:12 PM
Change of caliper needed really, I doubt your be able to find a rebuild kit., Deal with that issue before worrying about wheel balancing.

swedge
25-04-11, 02:52 PM
Does your local parts place do a exchange?

If I tale my old callipers down they give me a reduced price on a refurb'd calliper

NathanSRi
25-04-11, 03:13 PM
A warped disc could be the cause of the vibrations. You'll probably need to replace disc and calliper

mowgli
25-04-11, 04:00 PM
its the caliper. either the piston is jammed or the sliders are..

Matt
25-04-11, 04:17 PM
Cheers for the responses guys, very helpful!

Looks like a new caliper and probs new discs and pads are going to be needed then.

Hopefully that should sort everything. I'll probs have the balancing and alignment checked aswell to be on the safe side.