PDA

View Full Version : No fith gear

vauxluva
24-04-11, 07:36 AM
i have recently had my selector rod off the sr. I thought i had put it bang were it should be the gearbox was fine before removal of the 1.4 /f10 item ?.

mk1nova_rich
24-04-11, 07:39 AM
Have you swapped engine/box then? Which bit do you mean by selector rod?

mowgli
24-04-11, 07:40 AM
have you readjusted the linkage yet?

vauxluva
24-04-11, 07:43 AM
The one that comes into the engine bay onto the flexable joints?.Yes the e16se started knocking its boobies off after 120 miles.

Southie
24-04-11, 07:44 AM
Why did you remove it if you has gears in the first place :confused:

vauxluva
24-04-11, 07:46 AM
have you readjusted the linkage yet?
The only thing i have done is undone the 13mm bolt and tried to move the shaft back and fourth.

vauxluva
24-04-11, 07:47 AM
Why did you remove it if you has gears in the first place :confused:
+ Rep i keep on asking myself the same question!

mowgli
24-04-11, 07:48 AM
you lock it using a 4.5mm drill bit in the little hole in the shifter box (with the little plastic bung in it) then slacken the bolt, and get an assistant to hold it between 1st & 2nd, while you tighten the bolt.

mk1nova_rich
24-04-11, 07:51 AM
You need to set the linkage - slacken off that bolt, then get a mate to sit in the car holding the gear lever in neutral but pushed over to the left between 1st and 2nd. Go the engine bay and hold the gear selector on the gearbox turret in the same position as above. There is a small rubber plug on the side of the turret; remove this and slide in a 4.5mm drill bit...this locks the gear selector in place while you tighten up the bolt. Job done

vauxluva
24-04-11, 07:52 AM
you lock it using a 4.5mm drill bit in the little hole in the shifter box (with the little plastic bung in it) then slacken the bolt, and get an assistant to hold it between 1st & 2nd, while you tighten the bolt.
Cheers as always our lass will be pleased i want her help with the nova! edit my bad.

mowgli
24-04-11, 07:52 AM
there is a hell of an echo in here

mk1nova_rich
24-04-11, 07:53 AM
It takes ages to write replies on phone lol

mowgli
24-04-11, 07:54 AM
i don't interweb on my phone.

Southie
24-04-11, 07:56 AM
It takes ages to write replies on phone lol
lol I was in middle of explaining how to do it then thought, Mowgli will beat me to it so I sacked it off lol

mk1nova_rich
24-04-11, 08:02 AM
lol the thought had crossed my mind too. what you doing today Dave?

Southie
24-04-11, 08:04 AM
Rich, washing the Nova then off to the pub, Ill ring you later then lol

mk1nova_rich
24-04-11, 08:08 AM
Aye go on then. Tried ringing you back other night but you must have been too pissed by then lol :p

Southie
24-04-11, 08:12 AM
Aye go on then. Tried ringing you back other night but you must have been too pissed by then lol :p
Nah wasn't pissed you cheeky sod, I went out and got back home for 12.30, then I was pissed up lol

vauxluva
08-06-11, 06:06 AM
You need to set the linkage - slacken off that bolt, then get a mate to sit in the car holding the gear lever in neutral but pushed over to the left between 1st and 2nd. Go the engine bay and hold the gear selector on the gearbox turret in the same position as above. There is a small rubber plug on the side of the turret; remove this and slide in a 4.5mm drill bit...this locks the gear selector in place while you tighten up the bolt. Job done
Ok so i have been having a lot of problems with this^ if done like said way i cannot find reverse and the only way to get first is via were reverse was?please help.

vauxluva
08-06-11, 09:12 AM
Bttt

mowgli
08-06-11, 10:05 AM
you need to follow our method, but get somebody to really hold the gearstick in the neutral spot between 1st & 2nd.

either that or you have some massive wear in one of the moving parts of the linkage, or maybe a mount has gone....

swedge
08-06-11, 02:44 PM
i just sorted a mates linkage on his corsa as he needed a new box and fitted one off a tigra

i done the drillbit method and could only get all gears apart from 5th or all gears and apart from 1st

swapped the linkage round for 1 i had and it worked first time

yours just sopunds like it needs adjusting

(p.s)
the tigra box didnt need a drill bit as it had a little plug thing with a spring you can push in and out

vauxluva
09-06-11, 06:40 AM
i just sorted a mates linkage on his corsa as he needed a new box and fitted one off a tigra

i done the drillbit method and could only get all gears apart from 5th or all gears and apart from 1st

swapped the linkage round for 1 i had and it worked first time

yours just sopunds like it needs adjusting

(p.s)
the tigra box didnt need a drill bit as it had a little plug thing with a spring you can push in and out
3 mates have said it needs adjusting but they did not no how? any ideas?

swedge
09-06-11, 08:31 AM
use the search function and look for the drill bit method, its been explained in previous posts too

mowgli
09-06-11, 02:27 PM
3 mates have said it needs adjusting but they did not no how? any ideas?

http://pixdaus.com/pics/1253629211IjUrEly.jpg

four fox sake, we have only told you how to do it on this thread several times!!!!!!!