PDA

View Full Version : Grrr... Oil Leak c20xe on-going!

Mucker_TD
22-04-11, 12:56 PM
ive now sorted the sump oil leak, however now i have since found 2 more after cleaning the whole bottom end of the engine:

1. from where the pipes for an oil cooler join to the oil filter housing, one of the bolts with the lock nut sealing it is leaking (no oil cooler fitted)

2. from further up the oil filter housing, im pretty sure its leaking from where the oil pump bolts to the engine (directly above the filter housing)

My questions are:

what is recommended to seal the leak from the bolt on the oil filter housing where an oil cooler would connect to?

is it common for this engine to leak from the oil pump housing, and is there a step-by-step guide to removing the oil pump?

Any replies or links much appreciated.

Benn
22-04-11, 01:11 PM
If you don't have a oil cooler you really don't want the sandwich plate still on there. Get it removed and use the threaded tube from a 8v to screw the filter on direct.

Get a new pump to block seal, clean everything and fit that, it will stop the leak.

Yes its common. Its just a case f un bolting the pump and moving.

Will F
22-04-11, 04:41 PM
Like Benn said - bin the sandwhich plate and buy the threaded bar from Autovaux for £7.

As for the other leak - I bet its the front crank seal, rather than oil pump...

Mucker_TD
22-04-11, 10:07 PM
Many thanks, are you able to send me a link to this particular sandwich plate, and Will if you are right in saying its the front crank seal, does this still mean i should take the oil pump off?

I cleaned the oil filter housing up and ran the engine, noticed a trickle of oil coming from where i think the pump bolts to the block if that makes sense? it bolts on horizontally and sits further in towards the engine than the cambelt (again if that makes sense)

Would a few photos and arrows pointing to where the leak begins help?

Im loosing faith in this little car but this is the only thing holding me back from MOT'ing it.

Thanks again for any replies.

Will F
23-04-11, 10:49 AM
Just give autovaux a call mate - their website only has the main service parts. They know there stuff and they get loads of forum users buying from them, so they know all these sorts of bits...

It could be the oil pump - but I though crank seal, as its more common - without seeing it, its hard to say.

Have you recemntly fitted the oil pump? The gaskets can be just paper and they are absolutely terrible to seal...

Mucker_TD
24-04-11, 10:38 AM
Ok i will give them a call, i bought the car in questions well over a year ago and this oil leak has been bugging me the whole time, its amongst a bunch of reasons i took it off the road and now want to get it all sorted for the summer.

I havent touched the oil pump in any way, are there any exploded diagrams on the web that show the build of these engines?

Is anybody local to bournemouth in Hampshire that could come have a peek? im more than happy to get the beer(s) in!