PDA

View Full Version : MK2 GSi Facelift Advice

mattcogg
20-06-03, 09:51 AM
Hi,

Finally managed to get an entire GSI Kit for my Mk1 and guess what it is sprayed in the same colour already! How lucky is that! More importantly I am going to change it over next week but firstly I wanted any tips or common problems that you nova modders get when you have tried it. Should everything be a straight swap I have heard problems about the grill and rear bumper. How about the light is the wiring exactly the same or is more difficult? How long should it take? How do you fit the spoiler?

Any advice much appreciated

Matt :D :D :D

VauxMD
20-06-03, 01:50 PM
Hi,

Well I've not done this but you'll need the front wings, bumpers, headlights and grille as the bumper sits at a different height. It will all bolt on tho so just take your time. As to the rear bumper I think the exhaust exit is slightly different on the Mk2s.

Euan
20-06-03, 02:07 PM
you need to seal the wings up again

mmollart
20-06-03, 03:35 PM
you'l need the clips for the headlights, so they sit right & dont slope down.
they are only a few quid from vauxhall & poss the clips for the grill/wings if you havent already got them

ade
20-06-03, 05:40 PM
ok - you need to reseal the wings and the join from the lower valance (behind bumper) to the wings. DO NOT USE SILICONE RUBBER - ITS PISH

Use a proper car body mastic (most good repair shops or car paint shops) - need to seal along the engine bay edge and down the side (where the existing mastic was)

Make sure you replace the grommits for the side repeaters otherwise the car will leak like a seive into your carpet. Dont snip the wires - undo them/snip them from inside the car and feed out (ones earth others power) - then once replaced, simply rejoin using connector blocks and rescrew earth to car body.

Bumper you'll need different carriage to hold front) and legs (I think) that bolt to chassis - be prepared for bolts to sheer - mine did and had to drill em out! :evil:

Slam panel (the bit that contains the light housing andkeeps the bonnet locked down) prob wont match the grill - the mk2 grill has 4 clips that clip into it - the mk1 only has 3 I think - diff location - so you will need to either cut new holes or use cable ties to hold it in place. You may be lucky and not have this prob though.

Rear bumper - should go straight on - thres 2 screws in the boot and 2 at each side - the connector blocks should line up ok - same on the front (2 at each side)

Lights - 2 clips - obviously you need the new indicators and lights...

thats about it - take you a couple of hours if the weathers nice and youve got a m8 who will help you.

Removing wings - see haynes - screws are - along engine bay edge (8), 2 inside the cockpit behind the A frame trim (in foot well) and one at the bottom of the A frame outside - next to jack point - recommend getting new C clips for all screws as they will prob be rusted - if you dont get any - treat them with rust inhibitor.
Also - watch you dont drop the nuts inside the footwell gap - pig to get out the hole!!!

Ade