PDA

View Full Version : mk3 astra 1600 into a Nova

snipaz
20-06-03, 09:38 AM
My GSI has just died and i have heard that the mk3 astra engine is a good bet for a replacment........i dont wanna go all out for the 2l as i cant afford to strengthen the front end and fabricate it, what do i need to do this, ive been told that it would be a few bits and bobs but the engine goes straight in and uses all the drive shafts i already have? please HELP ME!!!!! :) my car looks so sad sat there begging for an engine!!!

ade
20-06-03, 12:42 PM
I think N0VA (neil) did this to his - dunno if he fitted it but he may know what you need

Ade

mikeoxford
20-06-03, 02:18 PM
straight swap

only thing to watch is the shape of the ports on the head

as the singlepoints use square ports..... your gsi will have round

so theres a possibility you MAY have to swap the head. unless u find engine with round inlet ports

even port mismatch aint a big thing if you aint bothered about loosing a couple of ponies

snipaz
20-06-03, 02:25 PM
Right then.....so in the end is it worth it? ive heard there is more torque with this engine and more modding possibilitys? as long as the speedo cabel and the radiator hoses are all the same then there shouldnt be a problem?................the thing is as irts a big thing to be done to my car i dont wanna end up thinking shite....why did i do this!! :)

mikeoxford
20-06-03, 02:33 PM
Right then.....so in the end is it worth it? ive heard there is more torque with this engine and more modding possibilitys? as long as the speedo cabel and the radiator hoses are all the same then there shouldnt be a problem?................the thing is as irts a big thing to be done to my car i dont wanna end up thinking shite....why did i do this!! :)

erm

well lets put it like this, the engines are identical :lol: so if your swapping for performance gains your loosing out.

just exactly which mk3 astra engine are you on about? a 1600 8v? if it is then you wont get any gains at all.

i used a 16 engine out of an astra. it was singlepoint injection but i put a weber 32 34 carb on it. i saw 93bhp at the rollers, which in itself is good - but still way off that of a standard nova gsi!

for the record, the16sv (which i got) and the 16SE found on novas - share COMPLETELY the same bottom end. aragorn told me this and found by entering all the part numbers on epc, they all returned the same results, even down to nuts and bolts.

difrence between two engines is the head. as i said above.

MC
20-06-03, 04:13 PM
I was thinking that too. A 1600se engine is identical whether in an astra or Nova. Avoid the single point lump.

The only benefit of getting an Astra one is that you are more likely to find a low mileage one that hasn't been abused.

If it is just your bottom end that is knackered, try finding a cheap 1600spi thats in good condition and just use the block.

MC

Ben (lurk75)
20-06-03, 04:23 PM
No he wants to buy my spare 1600 16v astra engine.

Basically you will need the following:

Speedo cable
Corsa GSi top rad hose
Either the vee belt altenator or a different bracket
Flexi pipe to match the exhausts

Thats about it really

your gearbox, shafts, linkage, mounts are all compatible with the 1600 16v astra engine.

mikeoxford
21-06-03, 05:31 PM
No he wants to buy my spare 1600 16v astra engine.

aaahhh that explains it

cool

:oops: sorry for setting us off on the wrong track.

BUT he still never said!

and obviously (whatever the argument, 16vs is always going to be better than 8 :cry:

VauxMD
21-06-03, 10:36 PM
Firstly 16v are not actually better than 8v, different would be a better word. 8valves have the torque low down where 16valves have the torque band higher up the revs. both the 1.6 8 valve and the 1.6 16 valve are rated at about 100bhp.

Though the throttle body conversion we're fitting as well will change that. Once this is fully developed it will be for sale via Vaux-MD including new management as a kit.