PDA

View Full Version : Will this work??

TeddyThom
18-04-11, 06:54 PM
Basically, I have been given a pulley for my nova, it is NOT the one that came off it. It is bigger and heavier. I believe it is off a Mk2 engine, not sure on the engine code for it. My engine code is 12st.

Now would it fit and work as it should or would it unbalance my crank seeing as it is bigger and heavier?? The original one weighs 370g and the new one weighs 600g. It is about 1cm (roughly) bigger in diameter. However it sits properly, as in on the crank sprocket. Also not sure on what metal they are made out of, if they are the same or different.

I need to get my damned nova sorted out asap. And I'm fast running out of funds to do it. Can anyone help please??

mk1nova_rich
18-04-11, 07:08 PM
The only real issue I can see is the alternator running speed

TeddyThom
18-04-11, 07:10 PM
The only real issue I can see is the alternator running speed

I assume it would run slower as the pulley is bigger?

That shouldn't affect it too much surely?

Royston
18-04-11, 07:18 PM
If it is a larger pulley than the std one, it will run quicker not slower, if you measure the alternator pulley, you should be able to work it out.

Still haven't found a correct one for you.......sorry

vauxluva
18-04-11, 07:20 PM
I had the same issue with fitting a 1.6 bottom end the pulley was bigger than the 1.4 sr item So the belt did not fit. I just put the smaller sr item on it was fine?

TeddyThom
18-04-11, 07:24 PM
If it is a larger pulley than the std one, it will run quicker not slower, if you measure the alternator pulley, you should be able to work it out.

Still haven't found a correct one for you.......sorry

So if it runs quicker, what sort of issues would that throw at me?? Basically all I'm interested in is getting my nova running, so I can get back to work. Would it unbalance my crank or just give me issues with my alternator?

AlexW
18-04-11, 07:30 PM
Crank wont be perfectly balanced anyway, Inc with the clutch etc on the other end.

Alternator issue means the regulator has to work harder to keep it at 14.4v

TeddyThom
18-04-11, 07:42 PM
Well I shall probably upgrade the alternator anyways. So it should fit, and fit alright etc??

Royston
18-04-11, 07:43 PM
Shouldn't be a problem.............unless you continually run at redline+lol

Alternator/engine speed varies in normal driving...obviously so don't think there will be a problem, unless the pulley is Massivily over geared, which I suspect it isn't;)

TeddyThom
18-04-11, 07:46 PM
lol no I don't continually run at redline, can't afford it basically, like to have the occasional "dust clear out of the exhaust system" though lol...

Basically bare bones is, that it should work with no problems even though it is bigger and heavier?

mowgli
18-04-11, 07:50 PM
lol no I don't continually run at redline, can't afford it basically, like to have the occasional "dust clear out of the exhaust system" though lol...

Basically bare bones is, that it should work with no problems even though it is bigger and heavier?

you own a 1.2 nova & don't continually rag the tits off it????? you should hand in your png membership card for that.

TeddyThom
18-04-11, 07:53 PM
lol mike, it's not through choice to be fair, I'm trying to save it for when I can afford to run around trying to blow it up.

Which ain't yet haha.

mowgli
18-04-11, 07:54 PM
it took me 90000miles to murder my 12st. it averaged 60+mph for all that time & rarely went on motorways...

TeddyThom
18-04-11, 08:03 PM
Well, I'm sitting at 71 odd... I don't go on motorways either, christ knows what my average is lol

So back on topic, you think it'll work?

Royston
18-04-11, 08:24 PM
Just Do Itlol

I'm sure that's someones slogan:d

TeddyThom
18-04-11, 08:28 PM
lol

copyright infringment *cough cough* lol

AlexW
18-04-11, 08:45 PM
Shoulda said earlier, I agree, Do it.