PDA

View Full Version : Rear disk conversion

YellowTurbo
20-06-03, 12:35 AM
whats the best method of converting my nova to have rear disks??

Phil GTE
20-06-03, 02:05 PM
buying a pre made axel!!

if you have a wide arch kit, then a wide track conversion makes it very easy, plus you can use standard big block shafts

otherwise there is guide by micky owens on the site, the easiest DIY guide.

when i converted mine, it brought the wheels further in and they started rubbing on the shock, it can give better clerance for incorrect offset wheels.

The handbrake has been the hardest part so far, need to use a non 2.0 cav driver side short cable to keep everything tight

hope that helps

Austin_Nova16
20-06-03, 03:05 PM
After building a rear disk set-up using the drilling method seen in the NL guide, I would say that the best method would be to cut the spacers off of the nova axle, and cut the spacers off of the astra/cav axle and weld them on to the nova axle (drilling through the remainder of the axle). Alternativly,you could order some brakets from carquip....think they are about ?30, and weld them on.

This means you can then bolt the stub axle straight on to the nova axle (using the nova allen key style bolts).

I found round goodwood, that I didn't get along with those brakes anyway, which is why i've gone back to drums on the back for the moment (which worked a storm around Castle combe last sat!)

I'm probably going to sort a golf rear disk set-up in the next few weeks though, as disks are more efficient brakes (but i'll sort out a bias valve this time). I'll use the golf stuff due to the fact that they use the caliper for both the foot braking and the handbrake, so they won't be soooo chunky and they'll weigh a bit less.