PDA

View Full Version : Help R1 carbs or webers??

mark2
16-04-11, 10:30 PM
Alright guys
Hope you dont mind me popping on here to ask afew q's about bike carbs and webers. Im on astra mk2.com as im a GTE mk2 owner.

Im trying to decide wether to put bike carbs or webers on my 20xe engine, which would you lot recommend?

Ive been told weber 45s drink fuel really badly and are always going out of tune, whats peoples experience with them? Is there any difference in performance or sound
Cheers
Mark

mk1nova_rich
16-04-11, 10:41 PM
Both will drink fuel if you floor it, but if properly set up they shouldn't be too bad. Don't expect to average more than 20-25mpg though lol

R1 carbs are probably the cheaper option. What are your plans regarding ignition?

wwmnw
16-04-11, 11:49 PM
Webers do drink fuel, all carbs like that do, you may get better MPG with bike carbs but probably not a lot.

Sonny Jim
17-04-11, 04:17 AM
to be fair their both the same apart from like you say you will need to set the twin 40's/45's up more often. bike carbs ftw :)

mark2
17-04-11, 07:59 PM
hi cheers for your replies lads, will prb get webers as a rolling road near me in deeside can set them at a reasonable price, ignition prob lumintion i think, ye not expecting good economy lol
one other thing just watching some vids on you tube of some of your novas beating skylines and imprezas.......f*cking classic.
cheers for your help might be back on here asking some more questions at some point. anyone in north wales round here, conwy area?

comptoncj
17-04-11, 08:04 PM
You will get more out of a pair of webers than you will get out of bike carbs, IMO bike carbs are for bikes. Buy a set of DCOE's once rolling roaded they wont need setting up again, maybe re-ballancing but that can be done without having to visit a rolling road.

mark2
18-04-11, 09:36 PM
gone for twin weber 45s, should arrive this week, will need to get everything else tho ignition manifold etc etc thanks for your help, mit need some more help when i come to setting up.