PDA

View Full Version : new phone! What to get?

fastcar1cars
16-04-11, 12:15 PM
hi all
looking for a new phone as my contract has ended! Dunno what to get?
Blackberry tourch
i phone 4
htc desire
htc windows phone

Liam
16-04-11, 12:25 PM
iPhone 4, you'll never get bored of it unlike other phones :thumb:

John
16-04-11, 12:39 PM
Agreed. I was dubious of having an i4, but i love it now!

Pete
16-04-11, 12:44 PM
IPhone 4
I had a bb before and it don't compare to the 4

You'll never get bored of it...
Heads up tho, O2 are supposedly ment to be stopping there unlimited Internet on there contracts down to 1G a month.

Liam
16-04-11, 12:47 PM
IPhone 4
I had a bb before and it don't compare to the 4

You'll never get bored of it...
Heads up tho, O2 are supposedly ment to be stopping there unlimited Internet on there contracts down to 1G a month.
Same with me, I got a BB as an upgrade and sold it within a couple of weeks for an iPhone.

Graeme
16-04-11, 01:02 PM
What about a Nokia 5110?

Jack
16-04-11, 01:18 PM
More than happy with my desire z

NOVA saloon
16-04-11, 01:32 PM
I phone 4 is rubbish mine has broke no signal turns off whenever it likes just a poor thing. But the 3GS is ment to good tho.

Pete
16-04-11, 01:35 PM
You obviously had a faulty 4 then.
The service I get from apple with mine is excellent tho, i broke the front screen after 2 days of owning it, rang up apple and they gave me a new one, 3 months later one of my speakers stopped working so the alarm was hard to hear and they replaced it no bother

Spudly
16-04-11, 01:36 PM
What about a Nokia 5110?

I reckon one of these...

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/71i9D1226B00DFE00F1/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Or one of these...

Graeme
16-04-11, 02:32 PM
I had a 3210 but missed my flashing aerial when I upgrade from a 5110

Spudly
16-04-11, 02:39 PM
Haha, you chav lol

My mate converted my 3210 so it could have vibrating alert, was ace:d

fastcar1cars
16-04-11, 03:23 PM
on one got the htc windows phone?

phazer
16-04-11, 03:28 PM
Don't bother with Win Phone 7 until at least the end of the year.

Pistol Pete
16-04-11, 03:49 PM
I want the HTC Desire HD come renewal time.

88ESR
16-04-11, 03:53 PM
HTC Incredible S

tommy8252
16-04-11, 04:07 PM
nothing out there at the moment interests me so Im sticking with my desire Z, the missus recently upgraded to iphone 4 (I couldnt stand being tied in to all the apple crap)

dan23
16-04-11, 04:44 PM
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/files/gun_137.gif

Stuart
16-04-11, 05:11 PM
Its a tough call between the IP4 and BB imho... anything else is just a virus lol.

I do love the simple useability of the IP4, but then I think I'd look like a sex offender using one in public (much like using an iPad in public gets you on the regsiter).
The BB handsets might not be as much "fun" but they do what they do perfectly with minimal need for 'apps' to 'fix' basic phone spec stuff lol.

Liam
16-04-11, 05:26 PM
From my past experiences with a BB I found it had too much (boring) 'stuff' and capabilities and is really intended for the business market like it used to be. As stuart says, the simplicity of the iPhone is good and as said previously you will never get bored of it.

88ESR
16-04-11, 05:29 PM
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/files/gun_137.gif

:-)

That looks like the Nokia I had in 1994..

Obviously without the fire-power...

Used to cost £40 a month plus calls!!

Analogue, rubbish to non-existant signal...

Snap-off aerial..

No camera, texts, apps or downloads...

From Cellphones Direct...

Happy days...

brainsnova
16-04-11, 05:31 PM
I love my iPhone 3gs so I'd go iPhone 4

sr jack
16-04-11, 07:32 PM
4 all day! had a htc 'what a load of crud'

novalew
16-04-11, 10:23 PM
all about android

Southie
16-04-11, 10:25 PM
Look don't pee about get an iphone, you love it, it's pi55 easy to use and bar the batteries being a bit shiit you wont have a issue. ;)

bmw156
16-04-11, 10:26 PM
iphone 4.
as the advert says.
it changes everything. again.

its awesome.

Nova_Tek
16-04-11, 11:24 PM
I currently got an HTC Legend and I'm waiting for a new HTC coming out hopefully next month. Dual Core 1.2GHz loads of RAM huge screen : drooooooooool :

BB's are good but I find them unreliable.

Edd
16-04-11, 11:37 PM
I have a iPhone 4 would highly recommend it

Samsung Galaxy S looks very good

And the Nokia E7 looks awesome

Apple really need to make the iPhone 5 a big jump forward IMO

Nova_Tek
16-04-11, 11:38 PM
^ That's if it ever comes out. Not even been a year since the 4 came out so I can only assume that the next iPhone will be like the iPhone 4s or something.

Edd
16-04-11, 11:44 PM
Well they better do something otherwise there will be many other phones out that will be a better option, IMO

Chap at work has a Galaxy S, the HD screen is awesome

I will consider other options when renewal time comes, something I've not done since the first iPhone came out

mk1nova_rich
16-04-11, 11:47 PM
I got a Samsung Galaxy S...practically an Iphone copy for half the price, can't fault it

Edd
17-04-11, 12:15 AM
Tbh I reckon the Galaxy S is probably a bit better than a iPhone 4, screen certainly is

Just had a look on the net, don't get that Nokia E7 lol it runs on Symbian3, Nokia have just signed a deal to have WindowsMobile so it will no doubt be useless in a few months lol

blue_peg_16v
17-04-11, 06:38 AM
iphone definatly dose everything you could possibly want and a hell of alot more

Stuart
17-04-11, 08:07 AM
Android 'would' be all well and good, IF there wasnt about eleventybillion versions of it meaning loads of 'apps' wont work/wont work properly etc :(

I dont think the Ipone battery is an issue as most smartphones only last a couple of days tops.. I would sooner see longer lasting batteries than any other 'improvement' to any handset

88ESR
17-04-11, 08:41 AM
Android 'would' be all well and good, IF there wasnt about eleventybillion versions of it meaning loads of 'apps' wont work/wont work properly etc :(

I dont think the Ipone battery is an issue as most smartphones only last a couple of days tops.. I would sooner see longer lasting batteries than any other 'improvement' to any handset

I'm happy with Android..

You're right about the battery though..

My LG GW620 lasts exactly ONE DAY max!

The new LG Optimus 3D phone apparently can't even manage that!

(Dual processor = battery killer)

mk1nova_rich
17-04-11, 08:49 AM
Battery life is always going to be an issue with Smartphones, BUT I hardly use the PC now so I think of it that way. Very few things that I can't do on here and its so much quicker (I mainly connect through WiFi rather than data allowance)

Benn
17-04-11, 10:27 AM
I'm about to upgrade and having the same prob,

I wouldn't touch an Iphone for my life, utter sh*t phone. My mrs has one, turns off by its self, have to charge it everyday even with little use, gets a crap signal in the house, cant even make calls on it with out 3g, the whole I tunes things is a huge put off.

I'm looking at the HTC desire hd or the Samsung galaxy S... But cant pick which at the mo...

Lee H
17-04-11, 10:34 AM
I'd say IPhone 4 as well. I had a 3G for two years and never had a problem with it and it was used a hell of a lot. Had a 4 for about 6 months now and again no problems so far.

The company I work for supplies iPhones as business phones to staff (not to me unfortunately!) and very few people seem to have problems there either.

pikey1986
17-04-11, 10:43 AM

I wouldn't touch an Iphone for my life, utter sh*t phone. My mrs has one, turns off by its self, have to charge it everyday even with little use, gets a crap signal in the house, cant even make calls on it with out 3g, the whole I tunes things is a huge put off.

I'm looking at the HTC desire hd or the Samsung galaxy S... But cant pick which at the mo...

im seriously considering the Galaxy S, looks like a great phone

88ESR
17-04-11, 10:44 AM

If you go with the HD or Galaxy S, you're going to be very familiar with your charger..

Top phones otherwise though...

Benn
17-04-11, 02:42 PM
Yeah i know, but not every night if you haven't hardly used it that day..

Benn
17-04-11, 02:43 PM
im seriously considering the Galaxy S, looks like a great phone

Does look and is very nice to use, Cnet says Samsung own bits let it down tho and there's no flash..

If you go with the HD or Galaxy S, you're going to be very familiar with your charger..

Top phones otherwise though...

88ESR
17-04-11, 03:07 PM
Yeah i know, but not every night if you haven't hardly used it that day..

That's my problem though..

I'm online a great deal during the day (on here, etc:)), so by the time I'm done at work, I'm in the red on battery life!

Spare charger at work is a life saver sometimes...

Adam
17-04-11, 04:51 PM
Ive got a Galaxy S, and quite happy with it. Had a few issues (all vodafone network related tho), and sometimes it can be a bit laggy, but mine is still on Android 2.1 which is mega out of date by now. Just waiting for the new android to be released through samsung/vodafone and i'll be updating it to that.
I'll be updating to unbranded android os though to get rid of the all the vodafone **** that is un-needed.

The battery is ok if you get the power manager app so you can switch your 3g etc off when you dont need it, and drop the screen brightness down to 50% because they help big time with battery usage. Mine lasts about 2ish days now on one charge, and thats with texts/calls and quite a bit of 3g/wifi use.

I dont really rate BB's, they have that messenger bollox but i dont see any other decent thing apart from that.