PDA

View Full Version : overheated

Shorty
19-06-03, 07:35 PM
my 1.2i has been overheating for a while now because the fan just isnt switching on, and eventually the pipe going from the rad to the left of the engine burst. tested thhe fan thats ok, wot is stopping the fan coming on, the ecu light comes on to i think it comes on when the fan is supposed to turn on

Aragorn
19-06-03, 07:53 PM
overheating aint a good thing

the car under normal conditions shouldnt really overheat

if its left idling it might but why would u leave it idling if it was overheating

as for the fan there is a sensor in the side of the radiator - thats prolly fucked which is why u aint getting a reading - replace it and u should be fine

to find out why the ecu light is on u need to read out the fault code

to do this u need to connect pins A and B on the ECU diag plug under the bonnet

http://www.atpelectronics.demon.co.uk/addinfo.htm gives u info on how to do it and what each code is

Shorty
19-06-03, 07:58 PM
well the temp gauge only goes half way across the dial, and ive tryed reading the fault code and it reads as no fault

SKoob
20-06-03, 12:00 AM
have u got anti-freeze/summer coolant in :?: , gotta ask the obvious questions :|

YellowTurbo
20-06-03, 12:26 AM
i used to have the same thing when i had my 1.2 but now i have got the 2l 16v i wired my fan up manually so i can turn it on when i want it on :)

Shorty
22-06-03, 10:45 AM
could it be the thermostat?

tim_annetts
22-06-03, 05:36 PM
i had the same proplem with m,y 1.2 the proplem with mine was a switch cant remember wat its called if u look at the rad its at the bottom left were the fan plugs into the rad

hope this help!!

Shorty
09-07-03, 05:30 PM
ive got a thermal switch which works now, but the ecu light is still cumming on, ive tryed to read the fault code but it just says there is no problem, could this be the thermostat? has nno1 had this problem before

-Bruce-
09-07-03, 07:08 PM
the cooling fan thermal switch at the botom left hand side as u look a the rad it has 2 wires coming out of it!!

if u have a haynes manual then it tells u how to check its operation in chapter 2 topic 11. If the switch is fine then look on the fault finding part on the next page!!

hope this helps the problem

DUNOVA.
10-07-03, 03:03 AM
May sound silly but have you checked the fuse :?: I blew a couple on my sr and did'nt relise there was one fuse for the fan

Dicko
10-07-03, 09:41 AM
he has already said the fan works and now it works of the thermostat

we are trying to determine whay the ecu is coming on!!

if its not reading any fualt codes i have no idea :S

Chris LR
10-07-03, 02:19 PM
Earth fault on the ECU light?

The Most obvious answer.......?

Shorty
16-07-03, 05:26 PM
ah ha, i have a fault code, 35 (little or no idle speed control).
the ecu light comes on once the temp rises a bit, wots wrong how do i fix it?

another question, before i replced the theremal switch and antifreeze the temp guage used to stay very low like in the blue, now it goes to the mid point and goes down a bit each time it rises, why is this?

Shorty
21-07-03, 07:17 PM
why do i get fault code 35, there doesnt seem to be anything wrong