PDA

View Full Version : EBC pads vs standard pads

Gareth_C
13-04-11, 11:02 AM
Hi all. Im in too minds what to do in regards to upgrading my brake pads.
ATM im running the standard willwood oem pads on the front and potentialy mintex/ferodo pads on the rear disk converstion. But I dont know if its worth upgrading them to EBC redstuff's. As I havent used these pads before, do they help of is it a waste of money?
Cheers Gareth

Stuart
13-04-11, 11:26 AM
NO just NO.

Yellows are nearly acceptable but I still wouldnt bother buying them 'just incase'

I'd go for Mintex 1144's, or 55's (55's are better imho as they last 3-4 times longer and have the same stopping characteristics). OR if they are available I'd try Carbon Lorane CL5+'s

bazil
13-04-11, 01:12 PM
IMO EBC stuff is shoite compared to OE stuff ( on vag cars in my experience )

Mike
13-04-11, 01:19 PM
EBC pads are poo. I had a set last me 3 months before they crumbled to dust?!

novarally
13-04-11, 01:22 PM
I'd echo all these sentiments. When I got my Nova it was on EBC Greenstuff pads, and they were absolutely useless.

Best thing I ever did was drop them in favour of Mintex.

You might as well make your own pads out of Cornflake packets as use EBC.

Stuart
13-04-11, 01:22 PM
EBC greens only seem to work on big fat heavy cars... but even then its marginal over anything else lol

MK999
13-04-11, 01:24 PM
My EBC reds have always been fine, stopped the red thing quite adequately and now reside on the TD.

Jack
13-04-11, 02:01 PM
EBC yellows on my celica and they're great.

Wouldn't trust green though and I believe red don't work as well from cold as the yellow

Hobbit
13-04-11, 02:36 PM
Mintex all the way.

Edd
13-04-11, 03:43 PM
Uh oh lol

I had green stuff on all my past nova's lol thought they were ok tbh lol

I was going to buy some for the ATE calipers I have for the Sport

I used to like the green stuff pads because the gave out less brake dust therefore keeping wheels cleaner

What's recommend now then for less dust ? Obviously not substituting stoping power tho lol

Stuart
13-04-11, 03:49 PM
I think the 55's are low dust, but I dont know exactly as I never washed the wheels due to the carbon pads ****ing them up. Function over form, just fit greens if you like being a GJOB gay :p

Dayle_
13-04-11, 04:03 PM
I personally wouldn't touch EBC with a barge pole, never mind trust them stop my pride and joy. They maybe different now but 5 years ago they were terrible with standard pads being sprayed up in a Taiwanese sweat shop to keep up demand with all the heavy advertisements in all the boy racer mags. They may have changed their ways but I have seen pads collapse to nothing under extremely heavy breaking. including my friend who had a Saph Cosworth, 3 of the pads disintegrates although they were made of saw dust. There were some right horror stories. Again people raved about them but they had never tried a PROPER pad, if they had gone out and bought the likes of a M1155 they would have been amazed again.

How many competition cars and teams do you know that use ebc? I have known of 1 clubman rallyer with the likes of a mk2 fiesta who were on a budget but then when given the opportunity and advice of something decent were astonished with the difference.

Don't tell me you are going to put them in a car you have many £1000's of pounds sitting in the engine bay with 275bhp, You be a crazy fool.

grooge
13-04-11, 06:14 PM
i prefered standard gm pads to green stuff. think gm were cheaper aswell

NOV4_SPORT
13-04-11, 06:30 PM
I had a set of green stuff on my sport with ate callipers and 256 mm red dot discs, really not a good set up, had a brown trouser moment when a corner came up quicker than I anticipated and some how managed to slow down enough to get round it not good, also didn't know the road to well lol.

I switched to mintex pads with red dot discs and the brakes felt really good even from cold.

Iain

blue_peg_16v
13-04-11, 06:32 PM
id go for the willwood a compound for track and q for road they dont take 2 mins to change

the q's are awsome for allround stopping mine was used as an everydayer with them and never had a problem.

granted at about £60 a set there dear compaired to the ebc at £37 but they do exactly what it says on the tin

hum 1144's are only £41.46 1155's 73.38 from rally designs might have to give the 1144s a try since everyone seems to be raving about them and there cheaper than the q's

Edd
13-04-11, 06:37 PM
i prefered standard gm pads to green stuff. think gm were cheaper aswell
Standard gm pads give off loads of dust tho

NOV4_SPORT
13-04-11, 07:21 PM

The mintex were/ are pretty good for not producing a lot of dust edd

Iain

Edd
13-04-11, 07:27 PM
Ahh right

What mintex pads you using Iain ?

24sevenslacker
13-04-11, 07:38 PM
i havnt used them on a car, but i have used ebc pads on my mountain bike, and even on that they lasted about a month. utter crap

Jack
13-04-11, 07:57 PM
Don't tell me you are going to put them in a car you have many £1000's of pounds sitting in the engine bay with 275bhp, You be a crazy fool.
240-odd BHP and I've yet to have a braking problem :confused:

Mintex 1144s are good Rich, I use them on the saloon and that stops on a dime

Dayle_
13-04-11, 07:59 PM
240-odd BHP and I've yet to have a braking problem :confused:

Mintex 1144s are good Rich, I use them on the saloon and that stops on a dime

You were probably lucky, or don't drive it hard enougth. Only joking.

Like i have said before Mintex are good. M1155's are a decent pad that will work from cold and when red hot. We used to have M1144's on a forest car and then M1177's just don't work from cold but when hot will rip your teeth out.

Alan at Questmead Ltd is probably the best to talk about Mintex pads as he is Mr Mintex he's a sound helpful bloke.

grooge
13-04-11, 08:36 PM

aye, tell me about it, i had white wheels on the car. well, at least the centre was white. the outisde was black. didnt really bother me though.

NOV4_SPORT
13-04-11, 08:54 PM
Ahh right

What mintex pads you using Iain ?

Eh iam not to sure, i will check the pads and get you the number.

iain

Stuart
14-04-11, 08:03 AM
Edd, basically you either get great stopping but have dust/disc debris, OR you can have not a lot of dust but you cant stop.... its how brakes work FFS.

just trailer it everywhere and be happy being a GJOB, simple.

wwmnw
14-04-11, 12:53 PM
Gjob?

Lewis.
14-04-11, 01:00 PM
Gjob?

Garage Jewellery Owning B*stard lol

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gjob

Edd
14-04-11, 01:03 PM
Edd, basically you either get great stopping but have dust/disc debris, OR you can have not a lot of dust but you cant stop.... its how brakes work FFS.

just trailer it everywhere and be happy being a GJOB, simple.
Firstly WTF is a GJOB ? lol

Secondly, when EBC green stuffs first came out they were very different to the crap you get from them now, minimal dust and great stopping power, so top all round

I was just hoping to find something similar :) plus I ain't going to be a trailer queen, yes it's as mint as I can get it but it's a car and meant to be driven :thumb:

Lewis.
14-04-11, 01:09 PM
Firstly WTF is a GJOB ? lol

may I refer you to my previous post, of 1.00PM today :thumb: lol

Edd
14-04-11, 01:24 PM
Seeing as the Urban dictionary isn't exactly a reliable source of information I thought I'd ask again :d

Lewis.
14-04-11, 01:28 PM
fair enough lol

Lee H
14-04-11, 08:56 PM
I have Greenstuff on the Nova which never gets used so can't comment on them.

Yellowstuff on the Civic which I really like and can't fault, work great from cold.

Redstuff on the MR2 which I really don't like on a road car as they don't work when cold. (came on the car when I bought it)