PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding cooling system (no matrix)

Mieran
12-04-11, 10:44 PM
I've got some air locks and water seems to boil very quickly.

From what I've been told in the past to bleed cooling system you turn the heaters up, but I don't have a matrix so how do I get rid of air locks?

Its a C20let engine, with a new rad and new thermostat.

Cheers

Lewis.
12-04-11, 10:52 PM
you only have to turn the heater on full to bleed the heater matrix. if you don't have one, then you dont have to bleed it. simples
if your still air locked, then its probably in the head somewhere. try getting it vacuum bled at a garage, takes minutes, and works first time, every time. we have one and its great

Mieran
12-04-11, 10:55 PM
Any other ways I could try without the vacuum bleed?

Lewis.
12-04-11, 11:05 PM
well its designed to more or less self bleed, so just keep running it untill it takes its water and stays cool. what size rad are you running btw?

John
12-04-11, 11:06 PM
Jack the n/s up as far as you can, and leave it overnight with the expansion cap off, hopefully any air will rise up to the header overnight. How have you blanked the matrix pipes off? or are you running a tx solid pipe?

Mieran
12-04-11, 11:12 PM
Yeah running solid pipe. Would jacking up the n/s and running the engine work, while squeezing the pipes and cap removed?

Lewsi, its a standard Nova size, can't remember exact dimensions.

Mieran
12-04-11, 11:57 PM
been looking on google and this is very similar to the problem I'm having, except mine doesnt stay at 90

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/293824-coolant-boiling-over-let.html

AlexW
13-04-11, 12:02 AM
Try running it with and without the cap on, Ive had issues with fans not kicking in solved by putting the cap on and then running it

R1CH
13-04-11, 08:03 PM
Why not just use the bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing ?
Surely its irrelevant wether theres a matrix or not, you don't bleed it thru the matrix and putting the heaters to 'hot' won't really help either as it has no way of affecting the flow thru the matrix.

Mieran
13-04-11, 10:28 PM
What an absolute cooont this has been, finally got it bled eventually after trying 20 times

I don't have screw on thermostat housing so instead used the sender gauge to bleed it

Mieran
15-04-11, 02:15 PM
Ignore last comment, still not solved FFS! :mad:

Could pipe from head going straight to header tank cause this? Because its very hot all the time.

Also, when revved up nothing is coming out of the turbo :confused:

mowgli
15-04-11, 02:52 PM
Why not just use the bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing ?
Surely its irrelevant wether theres a matrix or not, you don't bleed it thru the matrix and putting the heaters to 'hot' won't really help either as it has no way of affecting the flow thru the matrix.

if its empty & the heater is on cold, then there is a load of air in there that needs pushing out.... leave it on hot & it automatically does it..

Nova_Tek
15-04-11, 08:27 PM
Water pump ok?

Mieran
15-04-11, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I saw engine running before I bought it and driven too

Nova_Tek
15-04-11, 08:31 PM
Dodgey water pump could reduce flow around engine and not allow the rad fan to come on and cool it down. Happened to both ther XEV and the SEH.

Benn
15-04-11, 09:15 PM
Ignore last comment, still not solved FFS! :mad:

Could pipe from head going straight to header tank cause this? Because its very hot all the time.

You'd be better of running that pipe back to the water pipe on the raer of the engine, as that one gets hottest.

When the car get hot does water come out of the small top rad hose? As that's where the air should be coming out of the rad too.. Then you Should just be able to let it out of the header tank. With it hot and running.

All i ever do it let it get hot, then open the tank up to let the air out, then top up. Never done anything with the heaters at all.

I would say, did you not change the cam belt and water pump before putting the engine in? I would of just to be sure..

Mieran
15-04-11, 10:18 PM
This is the plan now after I get some hose.

- Head to rear of engine
- Rear of engine to header tank

Will see if that makes any difference

lomas
15-04-11, 11:37 PM
put the hose from the side of head to rear water pipe and try that as having it goin to the header tank will limit flow before thermostat opens

Mieran
16-04-11, 05:32 PM
This is the plan now after I get some hose.

- Head to rear of engine
- Rear of engine to header tank

Will see if that makes any difference

This has solved it :d