PDA

View Full Version : New battery maby?

24sevenslacker
11-04-11, 11:56 AM
been jumping the nova off for a while now as its just been sat in the garage. i replaced the alternator the other day and it ran fine. i started it up today and took the jump leads off and after about 30 seconds the rev gauge dropped to zero, it then ran for another 30 seconds and eventually cut out. i jumped it off again but this time i left the leads on and it ran fine. as soon as i took the leads off the same thing happened again. iv checked all the fuses and everything seems fine, am i right in thinking the battery is goosed and i need a new 1?

c20xe on carbs btw.

Steve0011
11-04-11, 12:11 PM
check your battery earth strap is ok then charge the battery see if that helps, if the car starts meter the battery it should read 14v or so if the new alternator is working properly :) if it dies again get a battery :( once batteries run down they never seem to hold the charge.

see if you can borrow a good battery from a mate, meter it staight away dont run it too long if your alternator is charging less than 14v otherwise you could end up buying 2 ;)

24sevenslacker
11-04-11, 12:33 PM
so if it reads 14v the alternator is ok?

Dave.
11-04-11, 12:34 PM
99% the battery, its okay to jump it once or twice, but a battery wasnt designed to be jump started all the time :thumb:

24sevenslacker
11-04-11, 12:35 PM
cheers, well iv been jumping it off for about 3 months, ijust thought it was because it was sat there

Steve0011
11-04-11, 01:32 PM
battery should read 12v or so on its own, 14v+ when the alternator is charging. if you charge the battery it should go back to 12v-ish anything less and i would say it well fooked :( tbh i would get another one anyway :)

swedge
11-04-11, 03:56 PM
is the alternator earthed??

i had problems sorta like that and it was because the alternator wasnt earthed

24sevenslacker
12-04-11, 08:52 AM
yeah it should be, i mean i took the old one off and put the new 1 back on exactly the same as the other one came off, iv left it on charge yesterday so hopefully it will run better today.

AlexW
12-04-11, 12:30 PM
Battery needs to be changed, but it should run on the alt power fine, Check its putting out 14.4v (or there abouts) when running.