PDA

View Full Version : GTE bumper paint woes

Jackroadkill
10-04-11, 03:26 PM
Hello - I need to repaint my bumper, which is an genuine GM GTE bumper. It's gloss black, and I want to strip it because the paint has been sprayed direct onto the bumper material without the use of a primer and is bubbling / cracking and coming off in places. I have two questions:

1. What can I use stripper-wise that will remove the paint but not damage the plastic of the bumper?

2. Is plastic primer any good or is it very similar to standard high-build primer?

Thanks,

JR

Tony M
10-04-11, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't use a source of paint stripper because you may melt the plastic bumper also, just use wet and dry sand paper about 800grit maybe? I painted my bumpers last summer, I used normal primer and its worked well. You could use plastic primer for peace of mind though?

AdamK
10-04-11, 07:16 PM
use wet and dry paper to rub it down use harsher paper on the damaged areas and use high build primer

Jackroadkill
10-04-11, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that, guys. I'm not sure how I'm going to get every trace out of the nooks and crannies, though.

TeddyThom
10-04-11, 07:58 PM
The primer should cover any smaller bits you missed with the wet and dry

Jackroadkill
10-04-11, 08:43 PM
The primer should cover any smaller bits you missed with the wet and dry

I'm not so worried about coverage, it's just that the paint hasn't adhered that well to the bumper. I'm worried that even if I do a really good spray job but haven't got all traces of the old finish off that it'll carry on blistering an fall off, taking the new finish with it.

nova gsi ian
10-04-11, 09:26 PM
I'm not so worried about coverage, it's just that the paint hasn't adhered that well to the bumper. I'm worried that even if I do a really good spray job but haven't got all traces of the old finish off that it'll carry on blistering an fall off, taking the new finish with it. Your right it will if its not rubbed down correctly, paintwork needs to be etched correctly for new paint to adhere, therefore i suggest you spend plenty of time getting the prepwork right or else it will all be a waste of time, its all about the prep!! good luck and hope all turns out well. use 400 wet and dry if your using a highbuild primer, put the primer on in stages and not to heavy :thumb:

MK1_Ben
10-04-11, 10:17 PM
You can get special stripper designed to remove paint from plastic. Its main function is removing paint from model aeroplanes/trains etc which have small plastic components that a normal stripper would damage.

Have heard of guys using dot 4 brake fluid on a rag, wiping over the plastic getting all the nooks and crannies then just washing it off with a hose, scrubbing it thoroughly (to remove all brake fluid so new paint will adhere). I haven't tried it myself so don't know the results though.