PDA

View Full Version : changing a head gasket on an XE

breadstraw
08-04-11, 05:17 PM
what tools am i gonna need to change the headgasket on my XE
seen as my current one is safely blown to pieces -_-

mowgli
08-04-11, 06:38 PM
spanners, screwdrivers, & a torque wrench & angle gauge.

you will also need some wire wool or very fine emery cloth & some lint free rags to clean things up.

i'll now leave this thread before half of mig turn up to insult me.

Paul
08-04-11, 07:44 PM
Dont forget the silicon sealant!

mowgli
08-04-11, 09:36 PM
i told you before.. you got it wrong, i have never advised to use silicone on an old gasket. sloth mentioned it when refering to keith black mopar engines for drag racing. i always advise new gaskets & bolts. i always use them on stuff i repair. but on every thread about head gaskets you keep libelling me.
grow up & go and learn some stuff

Paul
09-04-11, 03:37 AM
Ok, tighten old bolts through a further 5degrees and put skme silicon sealant on gasket face, im jow going to throw up the ridiculous amount of alcohol ive consumed tonight!

mowgli
09-04-11, 04:00 AM
breadstraw, i will apologise for paul, he appears to have some sort of vendetta against me because i had the nerve to suggest that you don't automatically need to get a head skimmed.

philip
09-04-11, 04:59 AM
5mm allen key for rocker cover

screwdriver for front breather pipe to rocker cover.

E20 torx socket for bottom pulley....be an idea to time engine up before you strip it and put a little bit of tippex on the markings on the pulleys.

If an early set up then 6mm allen key to undo tensioner and pull belt off.

Late set-up - 13mm spanner on tensioner...not 100% sure if need bottom pulley off to get to it though.

15mm spanner to slacken pullies....will be worth doing it before slacken cambelt though so you can then undo the 2 bolts that hold the backing plate on to the head

may also be easier to take thermostat housing off too before pull head off.

E14 socket if male head bolts or t50 or t60 male torx bit for the female headbolts(cant remember exact size without looking it unit and checking)

i tend not to work on cars tbh just build engines on bench for people, but if possible you may be able to pull head off with inlet still attached...just make sure you undo the ex manifold and any water pipes

Bubba
09-04-11, 11:37 AM
breadstraw, i will apologise for paul, he appears to have some sort of vendetta against me because i had the nerve to suggest that you don't automatically need to get a head skimmed.

i was about to point that out to you...how could you forget lol lol lol