PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy split CV boot kit

L14MNP
07-04-11, 12:28 AM
Any ideas? Need one tomorrow or Friday for a neighbours Micra.

Do Halfords still do them?

nova_saloon
07-04-11, 12:29 AM
most local motor factors do them to be fair just go to one of them!

L14MNP
07-04-11, 12:35 AM
Ta dude.

I wanna buy it on trade if I can lol. Will ring them tomorrow.

A few quid on trade or a tenner + more at a local motorfactors probs! I shall see what they have. Reason I ask is I was told the split ones are hard to get now.

I'm not a huge fan of them, although they are fine if done properly, I just cba to spend a couple of hours on some random car for like £20. lol

windfreek
07-04-11, 12:38 AM
are they just getting rid of the micra?
the split boots are about as much use as a sandwich bag for a condom, in theory it will work, but there is something that is designed for the job so use that instead or just get a stretchy boot and cone, i got a cone a few weeks back for £7 new and the boot was £4 and TBH its a much better job than faffing about with adhesive when a little grease will screw it up or even a bolt on one, they just loose grease all the time.

Ernie
07-04-11, 06:43 AM
I bought a new cv boot for my Vectra from halfords on trade card for £3.

Will F
07-04-11, 09:15 AM
As said - unless they are getting rid - you need to do it properly.

The 'repair' kits are rubbish and will last about a month if youre lucky!

ben doodar
07-04-11, 09:17 AM
We do qh 1's at work retail about £12 never used 1 myself but always thought they looked a nightmare. I'm guessing it's some sort of super duper glue with them.

Jeff16v
07-04-11, 11:28 AM
I tried one of those spikt\glue CV's to get mine on the road many years ago. glue it and by the time i had driven the mile to the MOT rollers it had opened and dumped grease everywhere, utter crap

Ben
07-04-11, 11:32 AM
yeah the mixture of gease and glue just does not work, they are designed for one thing only, getting a car through an mot! If they are keeping the car they will only bitch in a month about it.

GRUNT 16V
07-04-11, 01:32 PM
buy a stretchy bailcast one all you need is a fitting cone job done

jord4n
07-04-11, 03:17 PM
no cone needed, i just wrapped end of the drive shaft in newspaper then gaffer taped its all up into a cone shape, bit of gease for lube, slide it over, job done, my 2 penth's worth.

windfreek
07-04-11, 05:48 PM
no cone needed, i just wrapped end of the drive shaft in newspaper then gaffer taped its all up into a cone shape, bit of gease for lube, slide it over, job done, my 2 penth's worth.

like the dog said... ruff lol

Pistol Pete
07-04-11, 05:53 PM
Tried one of these once. Did it properly about 2 months later!

Got mine from a local motor factors.

windfreek
07-04-11, 05:57 PM
tbh i think most ppl will try it at least once, but change their mind soon after!