PDA

View Full Version : head gasket sealer

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
06-04-11, 08:05 PM
is it needed for an head gasket i personally thought it was just a case of put it on tighten up? but i seen some gasket sealer in a shop with a head gasket on front... i always thought it was a none sealed application as the seal comes from the tightness and gasket?

brainsnova
06-04-11, 08:11 PM
It's ment to be just the gasket with no sealer.

mowgli
06-04-11, 08:43 PM
gasket sealant is for paper gaskets

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
06-04-11, 09:22 PM
gasket sealant is for paper gaskets
What classes a propper gasket asin inlet, exhaust,temp so on? also what goes in between head and rocker part is that just gasket sealer?

So a no to gasket sealer for head gasket?

Rich
06-04-11, 09:24 PM
no sealer on the headgasket, inlet gasket, exhaust, or any gasket to be honest. Theres a gasket there for the sealing

db_1.2
07-04-11, 08:08 AM
You can use a sealer, i was advised to, and supplied by an engineering firm. Cant remember what it was called though. I never had a problem using it.

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
07-04-11, 09:01 AM
ive heard to use it on metal gaskets? but my spare gasket is a like cardboardy feel to it

mowgli
07-04-11, 10:51 AM
ive heard to use it on metal gaskets? but my spare gasket is a like cardboardy feel to it

but metal gaskets are really old fashioned, like on bl mini's etc... or the motorsport copper ones & the manufacturer will tell you exactly how to fit them..

std fibre head gaskets don't need any sealant

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
07-04-11, 01:24 PM
but metal gaskets are really old fashioned, like on bl mini's etc... or the motorsport copper ones & the manufacturer will tell you exactly how to fit them..

std fibre head gaskets don't need any sealant

Cheers fella

NathanSRi
07-04-11, 04:31 PM
also what goes in between head and rocker part is that just gasket sealer? Rocker Cover Gasket:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-NOVA-ROCKER-COVER-GASKET-/140528875652?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b82c7884

Normally made of cork or you can get rubber ones.
You can get them for pennies from you local Motor Factors though, i got one for just over a quid about a month ago :thumb:

mowgli
07-04-11, 04:34 PM
between the head & cam carrier, you use a thin skim of hermetite red sealer or similar.

NathanSRi
07-04-11, 04:38 PM
between the head & cam carrier, you use a thin skim of hermetite red sealer or similar.
Oh yeah lol sorry i thought you meant the rocker cover http://www.tiki-taka.org/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/images_smilies_facepalm.gif