PDA

View Full Version : Novaload Top trumps

Jim
18-06-03, 10:07 PM
There was a post mentioned not so long ago about Novaload Top Trumps.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75278

Well Mike and I took it upon ourselves to take the idea that little bit further. I came up with a design and a selection of stats that we both thought worked well. I've also done a cover (which will be on the reverse side of the stats on all cards).

The top trumps will basically look like...

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=1182

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=1181

The rules of the game are basically this...

The top trumps will be available as a deck of cards (so not everyone needs to own a set), 52 trumps for example.

One person deals the cards between however many people want to play (say 4, so each person gets 13 cards each).

The person to the dealers right goes first and calls a trump (stat). i.e: Top speed.

Each person then calls out their stat. Whoever has the highest stat wins all the other players cards.

If there are 2 or more cards with the same highest stat then they are placed in the middle. The player who called the stats must call the same stat on their next card. The person with the best stat on the second selection of cards wins all cards, including those in the middle.

The winner is the player with all the trumps at the end of the game.

Thats basically it really.

If you want your car featured as a Top trump email me your stats as they apear on the card above along with a picture of your car (if possible a decent non blurred picture) and I will add your car to the top trump deck.

email: slimjimkelly@btinternet.com

Mike will be printing the cards out. Once we have a substantial amount as a deck of trumps we will let you know.

If your car is not yet finished, but will be in 6 months time, dont panic. You can send me your stats further down the line as we can constantly add to the top trump deck :)

Let us know what you think.

Many thanks

Jim & Mike.

mikeoxford
18-06-03, 10:13 PM
(so not everyone needs to own a set), .

OF COURSE THEY DO :D how can they not want some top trumps set in a presentation set also!?!?!?

nothing more to add really........

me and jim will release a number of cards (to let you know how many to expect)

but the decks will be added to, and a nominal amount for extra cards as time goes on - and if u dont want the card cos you hate my minifridge, or you hate jims car cos its got 2 seats :lol:

dont buy 'em!!! - but your stupid not too!

dont get me wrong though - the initial deck will come with X amount of cards and u dont have a say what u get LOL

hotdogs_r_us
18-06-03, 10:19 PM
Yeh i will mail u mine when its fully finshed in 3 months :)

Anton
18-06-03, 11:37 PM
oh i like :D can i have my old nova/corsa on one? :D

RobHardyUK
18-06-03, 11:50 PM
wicked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!140bhp!!!! :o wish i had tht much. loook well good lads, well done! :)

mikeoxford
18-06-03, 11:55 PM
wicked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!140bhp!!!! :o wish i had tht much. loook well good lads, well done! :)

its the fridge that does it in the ice install :lol: it cools the air before it goes into the turbo
:lol:

now ill wait for jim to tell you how to do it, but we need cars and specs etc for the inital set of cards!

in fact sod it,

look at the card above, and give all the details u require on yours and send 2 suitable pics to webmaster@nova-land.com ill sort it and forward to jim

Jim
19-06-03, 09:15 AM
oh i like :D can i have my old nova/corsa on one? :D

Novas only for the minute. If you can provide me with the spec and a picture of your old Nova then yes it can be on the cards.

I can also use Novas that are no longer with us, for example, if Ian Storey wishes to have his old Blue Nova on the cards, I can add it to the list. Also, Ian, you can have your new improved Nova on the list as well (when it gets finished) :)

Jim

Jim
19-06-03, 09:43 AM
look at the card above, and give all the details u require on yours and send 2 suitable pics to webmaster@nova-land.com ill sort it and forward to jim

Erm Mike, not that I don't appreciate your help, but whats the point in people sending the information to you, and then you forwarding it to me? :o :| Doesn't make much sence :roll:

It'll be easier for me to keep track on whos sent me what if people send stuff straight to myself. All I need people to do is fill in these stats...

Power (bhp)
Capacity
Wheel size
Age (year)
Insurance Group
Top Speed (est)
Economy
No. of Valves
No. of Seats
No. of subs
How much is it lowered

Not exactly rocket science to fill out those details ;)

Only other thing I need is an image of your car that you want on the card.

Cheers

Jim

wisewood
19-06-03, 10:00 AM
I dont know if you noticed this already Jim but you got the spelling of Mike's URL wrong on the bottom of this image.

Oh and one more thing - LIKE IT!!! LIKE IT ALOT!!!
I'll take a pack.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=1181

Jim
19-06-03, 10:03 AM
I dont know if you noticed this already Jim but you got the spelling of Mike's URL wrong on the bottom of this image.

Yes, Mike kindly pointed that out for me, along with the fact that his car wasn't on the cover, and that he isn't admin yet and that he isnt king of the world, etc, etc...you can't please some people :roll: :lol:

Jim

P.S. Winding you up Mike ;)

wisewood
19-06-03, 10:09 AM
Yes, Mike kindly pointed that out for me, along with the fact that his car wasn't on the cover

lmfao - the cover looks better as it is though, shouldnt have just one on the cover, the point of the cover is to tell you what it is. lol

Mike you got your car on the front cover of your calendar, what more do you want boy?? :lol:

you want this made sticky Jim?

dave.gsi
19-06-03, 11:13 AM
do you have to have a good car lol??

Jim
19-06-03, 11:17 AM

No dave, thats the beauty of this game. A crappy bog standard 1.2 could beat a heavily modified stripped out 2.0 if you were to call the "no. of seats" stat.

Jim

dave.gsi
19-06-03, 11:19 AM
good point. don't think i'll win many cards with my 14's though lol

mikeoxford
19-06-03, 12:03 PM

Erm Mike, not that I don't appreciate your help, but whats the point in people sending the information to you, and then you forwarding it to me? :o :| Doesn't make much sence :roll:

just trying to help mnate

as i didnt want to publicise your home email as i dont think its listed anywhere...... and you havent put it down anywehere either to my knowledge, thats all.

ok ok i just noticed u did put your email - u sure u didnt edit that in you scumbag!?

wisewood
19-06-03, 12:10 PM
if it was edited it would say so Mike :lol:
only admin/mods can edit stuff without it showing up.

mikeoxford
19-06-03, 12:12 PM
ah well i often look like a tw@t anyway - one more time wont hurt!

frillip
19-06-03, 12:22 PM
dont we know it :lol:

Chris LR
19-06-03, 01:37 PM
I put forward my old SR, well someones got to have a low card.....?

Nova-Boy
19-06-03, 01:52 PM
I put forward my Rally Nova! that can be the joker! :lol:

So i guess the better economy the better the card.
Lower the insurance group the better??
What about seats? More the better?

How will it be scored?

wisewood
19-06-03, 02:00 PM
I would reccomend like this...

Power (bhp) HIGH WINS
Capacity HIGH WINS
Wheel size HIGH WINS
Age (year) NEW WINS
Insurance Group LOW WINS
Top Speed (est) HIGH WINS
Economy HIGH WINS (better economy)
No. of Valves HIGH WINS
No. of Seats HIGH WINS
No. of subs HIGH WINS
How much is it lowered HIGH WINS (high number, not higher car lol)

SEEMS TO MAKE MOST SENSE IN MY HEAD.

Nova-Boy
19-06-03, 02:06 PM
I Agree.

Ben (lurk75)
19-06-03, 05:05 PM
I would reccomend like this...

Power (bhp) HIGH WINS
Capacity HIGH WINS
Wheel size HIGH WINS
Age (year) NEW WINS
Insurance Group LOW WINS
Top Speed (est) HIGH WINS
Economy HIGH WINS (better economy)
No. of Valves HIGH WINS
No. of Seats HIGH WINS
No. of subs HIGH WINS
How much is it lowered HIGH WINS (high number, not higher car lol)

SEEMS TO MAKE MOST SENSE IN MY HEAD.

Why the highest number of seats win? surely the more modded would have less?

email sent to Jim

simon@novaheaven
19-06-03, 05:13 PM
just a suggestion! why not ditch the number of seats and have 0-60 or somethin.
email sent jim!

locky
19-06-03, 05:36 PM
How bout a number of doors?????

Jim
19-06-03, 05:53 PM
Why the highest number of seats win? surely the more modded would have less?

I can see your point, but we have to think about those people with bog standard 1.2's. We need to give them something that can make them win over other more modded cars.

just a suggestion! why not ditch the number of seats and have 0-60 or somethin.
email sent jim!

Did think about this, but not many people know their 0-60 time. I was also thinking of 1/4mile time, but again, not everyone will have timed their 1/4mile.

How bout a number of doors?????

LOL, as soon as I saw you were the last person to reply, I knew you'd mention doors, LOL.

Jim

mikeoxford
19-06-03, 06:05 PM
there will be a rule card printed at the front of each pack - but its like everything ;) no1 says you have to stick with them :lol:

8) Mike

ade
19-06-03, 07:27 PM
you need a money spent on mods figure.

will they come in the little plastic see through containers too?

This thread could lead into a craze - and spin offs -

top tramps (smelliest, biggest scrounger, maddest shouted thing etc)

top totty 8) (how many NL ladies are there???)

top bumps (if you follow my meaning :twisted: )

novacabrio
19-06-03, 09:59 PM
Me Me Me count my car in, cool idea, how about rare factor?? sports, sprints etc

Who would win with doors? 5 doors to many but 2 door saloon also pants!

onephatnova
20-06-03, 11:53 PM
i deffinately would like my baby in the NL top trumps set :D (it was my idea)...

i just need to check a few of my stats. hopefully getin my new propper ecu/afm/loom next week, so i can get it on rolling road...

(btw, i've just seen link(s) to this thread on a couple of other sites, where they all say wot a cool idea... :?: :D )

Fenix_2k1
21-06-03, 03:20 PM

No dave, thats the beauty of this game. A crappy bog standard 1.2 could beat a heavily modified stripped out 2.0

Jim

That wouldn't be a first time would it Ian :lol: :lol:

Ian
21-06-03, 05:26 PM
:P

i think this idea of people sending in 6 months later is a bit shite wait until u have enough cars then do it, like 40 or 50 cars.

Jim
21-06-03, 09:11 PM
i think this idea of people sending in 6 months later is a bit shite wait until u have enough cars then do it, like 40 or 50 cars.

So far it's looking really positive, I've got around 20 cars already, so it shouldn't take too long to get up to 30, maybe even 40 cars. Think we'd be waiting too long to get 50 cars.

Do you want your old Blue Nova adding to the list Ian? If so send me your stats for that car now, and then when your new car's ready send me those stats at a later date.

Jim

Ian
21-06-03, 10:37 PM
bin top speeds as everyone talks bull change to brake size as measurable then.

how do you define economy?

Jim
21-06-03, 11:13 PM
bin top speeds as everyone talks bull change to brake size as measurable then.

how do you define economy?

Good idea on the brakes, might consider it.

Economy is based on MPG...duh :roll: :P :wink: I'm relying on people's experience with Novas. I'm guessing those with 40's will mostly have below average economy. Standard cars will be considered as average - good depending on model. i.e I'm assuming Gsis will be better than a 4 speed 1.2. Deisels will be classed as very good. 2.0's will be classed as good as there genrally better engines, unless they have 40's, etc.

Might have to tweak a few specs before we print them off, but just going by what other car trumps use. Had to replace some already. Open to suggestions though.

Jim

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 12:04 AM
just said to jim on MSN, ditch the top speed cos theres so many variables and anyone can blag that.

wheel size, gearbox, final drive, big hill, wind - all factors.

and also KEEP the economy factor, so that small engined cars such as 1.0 can beat the heavily modded engine, as the trump will be better on fuel than a modded beast.

thats my thoughts anyhow

ade
22-06-03, 12:22 AM
Difficulty with most of the ones listed is they will be similar on most cars

I think the following topics -

Power (bhp)
Capacity - good
Wheel size - good - 13's - 20's
Age (year) - good wide range (but oldest or youngest winner?)
Top Speed (est) - verify based on others
ICE max volume/number of speakers/cost of ICE (either or all)
How much is it lowered
Total cost of project/spent to date
MOD rating (1 standard (Chris LR) 20 mega modded (DJP_Y2K))
Number of mods (could summarise eg less than 5 5-15 15 to 30 fully modded)

Jim
22-06-03, 12:51 AM
Difficulty with most of the ones listed is they will be similar on most cars

I think the following topics -

Power (bhp)
Capacity - good
Wheel size - good - 13's - 20's
Age (year) - good wide range (but oldest or youngest winner?)
Top Speed (est) - verify based on others
ICE max volume/number of speakers/cost of ICE (either or all)
How much is it lowered
MOD rating (1 standard (Chris LR) 20 mega modded (DJP_Y2K))
Number of mods (could summarise eg less than 5 5-15 15 to 30 fully modded)

The youngest car will be the winner.

Could go along the ICE specification, although, theres not that much room to fit everyones ICE on the card.

Cost of Project is being considered. Once I get the general layout on all the specs recieved so far I shall ask for this spec from everyone.

Mod rating could be tricky. DJP has extensivly modded the body, but not the engine.

Number of mods, personnaly i prefer the amount spent on mods.

I like Ians Brake disc size spec as people can go out and physically measure the discs if their not sure.

Keep them coming though, but I dont want to be here for ages tweaking the specs :)

Jim

P.S. Estimated 25 cars already signed up, keep them coming folks :D

Ian
22-06-03, 02:01 PM
and also KEEP the economy factor, so that small engined cars such as 1.0 can beat the heavily modded engine, as the trump will be better on fuel than a modded beast.

well thats rubbish cos jims just said a 2.0 is better

bin the economy.

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 06:16 PM

bin the economy.

well i dont know because i havent ever experieneced one but 9one of you guys tell me whats the MPG like on a 2.0l BOG STANDARD nova ?

i would have thought it not to be as good as small engineed cars - SURELY ?

dave.gsi
22-06-03, 06:21 PM
i say bin it too for the simple reason that its not fact. if you did exact mpg then this would be fine but cos were not all old duffers we don't know the exact figures. its similar in saying wheel size: large. you can't judge how big large is in the same way u can't judge how good 'average' is. you need figures to play the game not guestimations

Nova-Boy
22-06-03, 09:19 PM
When you finally decide on the specs are you going to tell us what the added points are so we can e-mail you the extra bits you need on our cars?

And how much is a pack likely to cost?

mikeoxford
22-06-03, 11:35 PM
And how much is a pack likely to cost?

really dont know until i get a final set of jim, so i can price up materials, and shipping, we will be making a dummy pack, and pricing it all up for sending it to ourselves, then we can release a price........

similar to the calenders all we will be paying for is materials etc, (im the labour LOL)

Jim
23-06-03, 01:15 PM

bin the economy.

OK Ian, point taken :roll: :P

When you finally decide on the specs are you going to tell us what the added points are so we can e-mail you the extra bits you need on our cars?

Once I've re-assesed the specs I'll put a post up asking for people to give me any extra details that I need.

I'm busy with the amount of cars that I've got at the minute, plus I have work to do, so give me a chance :)

Jim

wisewood
23-06-03, 01:36 PM
i might be able to find a minute or three spare if you need any help with anything. :lol:

Freak
23-06-03, 07:35 PM
I want to join in-ill mail you soon.

another possible category-front bumper ground clearance.....??

Brake size
Capacity
Full Respray-yes/no
Wheel size
Age (year)
number of speakers
How much is it lowered
ground clearance (as measured on front bumper)

Those categorys will work- the rest are bollox imho.
BHP will just get bullshit claims, as will top speed
Ice volume most peeps dont have a clueThes ones are factual based and will work well.

If it helps i have the max power top trumps from yrs back that they gave away- and these are the sorts of categorys they had.

Jim
23-06-03, 11:26 PM
There are some categories there that I will consider. I dont agree that the rest are "bollox" as you put it.

If you let us know what the Max Power ones said I'd appreciate it.

Jim

mikeoxford
24-06-03, 12:42 AM
i like ground clearance

i like it a lot

ive just edited my post though

we have the "lowered by" category.............

although i guess it is difrent. cos u can have splitters, biugger wheels will raise a car.

actually yes this is a good one more i think about it, cos whereas a nova with 21" rims could beat a 14" three spoker, the three spoker nova would win on ground clearance as the rolling diamater is smaller than the bigger wheel, so yes i think its hould work

Ben (lurk75)
24-06-03, 12:43 AM
With regards to the BHP ot top speed you could have an estimated for people that dont know or a proven one for people that had been on a RR or been clocked at speed (me :roll: )

Jim
24-06-03, 09:37 AM
I'm still waiting on cars, so theres no hurry to get the categories sorted at the minute.

As for "B******t" claims, well, we can only go by what people have said. I'll have to trust their answers.

I'm busy until the end of the week, so give me a few days before I can edit the specification list. I'll put a post up as soon as I can regarding the refined specifications.

Jim

mikeoxford
24-06-03, 03:12 PM
thoughts on ground clearance jim?

Sid
24-06-03, 04:58 PM
What an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC idea Jimbo & Mikey!

I'm up for being Top Trumped, but when the NovaStyle will be ready is anybodies guess!!???

onephatnova
24-06-03, 05:19 PM
What an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC idea Jimbo & Mikey

:?

it was my idea originally... http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75278

but well done to Jim & Mike for following it thru. :)

i should be able to check all my stats within the next week, after Mike helps me with my wiring loom/ECU/etc. & then Onephatnova2.0 can hopefully be in the NLTT pack too :D 8)

Jim
24-06-03, 05:24 PM
thoughts on ground clearance jim?

Sounds good to me. Give me a few days to get myself sorted and I'll put a post up with the new specifications.

Yes, it was Onephatnova's idea. Didn't mean to rip you off in any way though.

Jim

mikeoxford
24-06-03, 10:48 PM
Didn't mean to rip you off in any way though.

Jim

MUCH! :lol: :twisted:

dave.gsi
24-06-03, 11:39 PM
was gonna mail mine today but will now wait for new stat catorgaries (spelling?)

Ben (lurk75)
25-06-03, 04:36 PM
Just a thought but surely the older the car the better due to higher maitenance to keep it in the standard of the cards?

Jim
25-06-03, 06:22 PM
Just a thought but surely the older the car the better due to higher maitenance to keep it in the standard of the cards?

But theres some that might not be in better condition than a newer car.

Jim

Ben (lurk75)
25-06-03, 06:27 PM
oh i thought you were being a bit selective, doh of course not mine is in there :lol:

Snowface
25-06-03, 06:32 PM
you can't test your top speed on a RR fairly at all because there is no wind resistance.

dave.gsi
25-06-03, 07:58 PM
But theres some that might not be in better condition than a newer car like mine lol

plus if you had an Lreg gsi you'd think you would win a few cards compared to a Dreg sr

wisewood
26-06-03, 10:11 AM
you can't test your top speed on a RR fairly at all because there is no wind resistance.

thats exactly why it is fair - someone with an identical engine spec and car weight could end up 15mph faster with a decent wind behind them and the other car having a head wind!!

on a RR at least it is completely fair. Or as fair as you are gonna get.

Snowface
26-06-03, 11:28 PM
then you can't really call it your cars top speed. More like your engines top speed.

Even if you had 30mph wind behind you, at 120 you will still be driving into 90mph of wind.

baha_guy
08-07-03, 12:58 AM
will the trump game ever be out to buy on here hope so looks like a great game i would be up for 1

Jim
08-07-03, 11:58 AM
will the trump game ever be out to buy on here hope so looks like a great game i would be up for 1

Yes, it'll be available to all Novaloaders. Not sure on prices yet, but shouldn't be too much.

Jim

leepwoollard
25-09-03, 02:58 AM
whens they gunna be done cant wait to get my hands on a deck off these cards

Jim
25-09-03, 09:02 AM
Due to mine and Mikes workload being pretty intense recently, we've had to put the date back. I think Mike is planning on doing some more Novaload calenders this year, so we will send out a set of Top trumps cars with the calenders. Prices will be announced, but if I'm right, all proceeds will go to Charity, just like last year. I'll talk to mike about the calenders and will let you all know as soon as I hear.

Cheers

Jim

mikeoxford
27-09-03, 10:34 PM
yeah :o)

spk to you soon jim.......

mike

PS: im a little short on calender months (as i was last year!)

i could do with one or two more so i can pick and choose the best to go in to ensure its some top qulaity motors. so if you think your car should be in the calender. let me know and if you closeish to birmingham or west midlands i will arrange to meet and photoshoot...........

Cjscooby
27-09-03, 11:00 PM
if you want to meet up mike you can use my car in Calender if you want it??
Cheers
Cj

Ben
28-09-03, 09:50 AM
Need any more cars for the trumps? i have three other cars that could go on there.

locky
28-09-03, 10:08 AM
I can email pics if u like Mike!

Jim
28-09-03, 11:09 AM
Need any more cars for the trumps? i have three other cars that could go on there.

If you've got some more then email me a picture and spec of each car seperatly.

Cheers

Jmi

mikeoxford
28-09-03, 12:17 PM
i dont want to take jims thread over with regards to calender entries, and will post later on tonight regarding that 8) lets keep it trumps :lol: :twisted:

Jim
28-09-03, 12:25 PM
i dont want to take jims thread over with regards to calender entries, and will post later on tonight regarding that 8) lets keep it trumps :lol: :twisted:

The trumps are pretty much sorted now. I think it would be a good idea to include them with the Calenders. I can always help out with getting the calenders done. I take it you're looking at a new style compared to the one last year?

Jim

Nova-Boy
17-12-03, 06:31 PM
Are they done then?

I am way behind the times! :roll:

Jim
18-12-03, 09:29 AM
The design of the Top Trumps is finished, as is the design of the Calenders. Theres a couple of small things that still need doing, so unfortunatley they won't be done in time for Christmas (also, I've just had too much other stuff to be getting on with, work/decorating, etc) So apologies for the delay.

Jim

Nova-Boy
18-12-03, 11:54 AM
No problem.

Please let me know when they are ready.

Thanks
Mark. :wink:

matt_Wood87
05-02-04, 07:52 PM
whats the latest on the cards? got a release date yet?

matt