PDA

View Full Version : Nova Engine Question

satchellm
06-04-11, 12:42 PM
Right guys im after some info, basicly iv got myself a mk1 E reg 1200 3door nova, which i want to use for rallying, be it 12 cars, 20/20, road/night rallies, but also thinking of log booking it aswel.
So i want up the 1200 but what ever i up it to will have to seem "original" so what engines were plonked in novas as standard (1300 or 1400) back late 80's and which would be best to use power wise, as im not aloud to go mad on tuning for road rallies (no mega wild ass cams and such like).

chears guys.

satchellm
06-04-11, 12:55 PM
Forgot to say, I would think the best lump to use would be a c14se but I dont think i can because the nova didnt come out with the engine at that time, or am I wrong? Standard inlet would idealy would have to used.

mowgli
06-04-11, 12:59 PM
we need to know the class limits & cutoffs to be honest.. a 1200 can easily do well on navigation/road type stuff, but its all down to the motor club you will be in.

satchellm
06-04-11, 01:24 PM
well im in devizes dmc but we dont run them ill look to do events such as the nightmare rally, or the bustard.

Steve0011
06-04-11, 02:13 PM
the c14se with the sri injection will do you just fine :)

1.2 and the 1.4 single point injection for that matter are gutless on road rallys, been there done that :) the car will be ok for all the above EXCEPT endurance road rally's, you have to keep the car standard for that.

dont forget most road rally's have an award for top under 1400 class, dont forget to enter yor car with 1398cc and you could pickup a pot :)

steve

to add, if you do decide to put a 1.4 lump in it, send your V5 with the details (engine number, capacity) i did and was so easy did'nt need an inspection or anything :) got the new V5 back after a few days. Things may have changed regarding this (i did the car about 5 years ago) anyway its well worth getting the paperwork spot on as you dont want to be refused a start by a picky scrutt.

tommy8252
06-04-11, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't have thought he'd be able to use the c14se as his car is e reg and they didn't put that engine in novas at that time. But I may have misinterpreted what he wants

satchellm
06-04-11, 03:22 PM
the c14se with the sri injection will do you just fine :)

1.2 and the 1.4 single point injection for that matter are gutless on road rallys, been there done that :) the car will be ok for all the above EXCEPT endurance road rally's, you have to keep the car standard for that.

dont forget most road rally's have an award for top under 1400 class, dont forget to enter yor car with 1398cc and you could pickup a pot :)

steve

to add, if you do decide to put a 1.4 lump in it, send your V5 with the details (engine number, capacity) i did and was so easy did'nt need an inspection or anything :) got the new V5 back after a few days. Things may have changed regarding this (i did the car about 5 years ago) anyway its well worth getting the paperwork spot on as you dont want to be refused a start by a picky scrutt.

if i were to change the log book (which i plan to do) how would the scrut know that the car wasnt standard with a 1300 or 1400 in?

swedge
06-04-11, 03:29 PM
well an E reg didnt has a c14se multipoint injection anyway so if he knows his stuff or other people notice it they could complain

i could be wrong though but im sure it didnt come with 1

MK1_Ben
06-04-11, 04:15 PM
if i were to change the log book (which i plan to do) how would the scrut know that the car wasnt standard with a 1300 or 1400 in?

Because Scrutineers aren't idiots.

satchellm
06-04-11, 08:40 PM
:tard:
Because Scrutineers aren't idiots.

No, yeah but what i mean is if I were to make it appear as it left the factory as say a 1300 or a 1400 how will they know, if the v5 says 1400 and everything is (as i intend to keep) as vauxhall would have rolled it of the line as that, then would there be a problem to entre it in to endurance? I mean im sure poeple have re-shelled, no?!? :tard: :confused:

bazil
06-04-11, 08:46 PM
If you change the engine cc then change the v5, the small issue of the law requires that,

1300 will be the biggest engine fitted at that point unless you go full GTE spec for 1600 and mpi.

mk1nova_rich
06-04-11, 08:49 PM
There are plenty of events available without having to do Endurance, personally I would go for a 1400 with a twin choke Weber

satchellm
06-04-11, 08:55 PM
Yeah Bazil, Im going to change v5.
Cheers Rich, im just trying to keep some more options open to me is all.

mk1nova_rich
06-04-11, 09:03 PM
replied to your PM

Steve0011
06-04-11, 09:55 PM
i think my point about the scruteneer was missed :) i was refering to the V5 matching the engine capacity of the car, for legality and insurance

yes you can fit a more 'modern' engine to an older car as long as you dont fall foul of blue book regs e.g. twin 40 carbs are banned for road rallys

with regard to endurance, the car has to be original in every way, for example you cant run a 1.4 sri engine in a 1.4 flair, the car has to be registered as a nova sri

no one will complain if your car has an engine change

satchellm
07-04-11, 05:39 PM
Right I see chears steve. top dog.

mowgli
07-04-11, 05:41 PM
when did the 1.5td appear, cos one of those with a spot of baxtering & maybe a slightly lower diff, would be fantastic on the lanes, it is the reason the gte was created, cos it was way faster than the sr.....

Steve0011
07-04-11, 09:00 PM
when did the 1.5td appear, cos one of those with a spot of baxtering & maybe a slightly lower diff, would be fantastic on the lanes, it is the reason the gte was created, cos it was way faster than the sr.....

cant use it, turbo cars were banned a while back on road rallys :(

iety2004
17-04-11, 03:08 PM
Engine
18.2. Vehicle engines must have:

18.2.1. A maximum of four cylinders.

18.2.2. A maximum of two carburettor chokes (two
single or one double).

18.2.3. A maximum of one camshaft per bank of
cylinders.

18.2.4. Engines with more than one camshaft per bank
of cylinders may be used providing that they were
originally fitted with fuel injection and that the fuel
injection system complete with plenum chamber and
throttle body is retained unmodified.

18.2.5. Forced induction is not permitted.

18.3.1. Fuel injection may be fitted where it was
standard equipment by the manufacturer for that
engine type and where the original plenum chamber
and throttle body is retained for that engine type.

18.3.2. A standard ****el unit will be considered as
three cylinders – twin ****el units are prohibited.

18.3.3. Engines must comply with the silencing levels
G.11.1, J.5.17 and 4.1 and have induction air filter
elements fitted that ensure the vehicle complies with
noise regulations J.5.17

But theres loads more strict regs for endurance rallys